Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : E30 M3 Sport Evo tuning

azmil
Fri, Oct-01-2004, 12:41:01 AM
hi,

am about to purchase one pretty soon. it's done almost 100k miles. i was thinking of rebuilding the engine for good measure. question is how easy is it to get 300bhp out of this beast without resorting to forced induction.

i need to know of any good E30 tuners in the UK to have a chat with.

thanks a lot, guys.

Michelangelo
Fri, Oct-01-2004, 02:47:43 AM
Err...from the info of the 2.5L upgrade kit sold by Turner Motorsport (in USA), with everything fully upgraded in and out and with high flow header, the unit can approximately pump out 285hp. But provided that you have $15000.00 USD to buy this unit (plus labor if you don't plan to put the engine into the engine bay yourself)...but at least you're lucky coz you can find a Sport Evo in UK while we need to buy this engine to convert to Sport Evo in USA. And recall that the output of E30 M3 (before Sport Evo was born) DTM race cars were only about 300hp (350hp for Sport Evo?!). So your goal might be somewhere near racing spec already.

azmil
Fri, Oct-01-2004, 09:15:00 AM
thanks, mate. will the engine be able to take it though, considering it's already reaching a six figure mileage.

Michelangelo
Sun, Oct-03-2004, 05:34:06 AM
Humm...many people claim that the S14 engine is almost bulletproof as long as you don't overheat it. Since your goal is somewhere near racing spec, I expect you have enough budget to change/upgrade everything new in and out. So basically you're working on a "nearly brand new" S14. As a result, I still believe 100,000+ mileage is not a major concern to your project (I guess money would be instead...hehe)

Predator
Sun, Oct-03-2004, 04:10:27 PM
Azmil i'm gonna by a E30 Evo sport 3 in England with 115,000 miles on the clock !

but the price is a bargain! !

Michelangelo
Mon, Oct-04-2004, 05:05:21 AM
Mine is a regular (US-spec). 17x,xxx miles on the engine and body. However, I still use it as daily commuter (80 miles + per day). Engine actually has little bit deterioration below 1200rpm, especially starts at cold. But overall still a strong car.

jtappan
Thu, Jan-20-2005, 05:03:25 PM
S14.net is a great source of information on this subject. Many thousands of dollars have been spent trying to 300hp out of an S14. Most come up a bit shy of that number. The thing to realize is that while the DTM cars of the time exceed 300hp their engines are only intended to last one race weekend. You're probably looking for a bit more longevity than that. 285hp is a very doable number on an S14 while still retaining good longevity. Believe me anything in that neighborhood in an E30 M3 is a huge number. It transforms an already awesome car into a real weapon at the track. You'll never win many stoplight races against really fast cars, but throw in a couple of corners and the odds shift in your favor.