Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Urgent: 1989 US-spec E30 M3 overheat

Michelangelo
Tue, Sep-28-2004, 07:07:07 AM
Hi, I'm all new here. I just got a 1989 E30 M3 in California after my FC3S was stolen at UCLA in June. However, here's an annoying matter: The car keeps overheating. More accurate, when I drive on freeway at 70mph, or drive at night, the temperature gauge needle is pointing only 1/3 of the full range. However, when stuck in traffic, this little thing will just simply gradually goes up till red zone (normally from right middle position to red zone only takes about 5 min). I darenot fix the A/C before I fix the overheat problem. Also I have already changed a brand new Behr radiator, but the problem has not been fix even tiny little bit. The characteristic of the cooling system on my car is like an air-cool Porsche: Can't stop, or only drive it at night. The worst thing is if I turn off the engine when the temperature gauge needle is pointing at or over 2/3 of the full range, then the car refuse to restart (the starter doesn't even move a bit, that is, the car is completely silent) and I have to wait and wait till the engine cool down so that it can restart. What a silly thing! I just wonder what is(are) the possible reason(s) causing it. If it does cost a lot to fix, then I'm gonna sell this car and go back to FC3S, even though an FC3S with little mod would cost more than this E30 M3 for sure. Thanks all here!

jinkly
Thu, Sep-30-2004, 08:26:03 AM
Hello,

change the radiator is a good idea but normally is not the solution to this problem. For the first you must check the wealth and pressure of your cooling system and the water pump. If the water pump don`t send water the engine never cool down even if you have three radiators. If the water pump is OK the next step is check the Breech, and the holes of the refrigeration system on it.

Good luck.

Michelangelo
Thu, Sep-30-2004, 02:49:05 PM
Just had a deeper check at garage yesterday. It should be maily due to the failure of fan clutch as the mechanic said the mechanical fan could be easily stopped by bare hand, and when hand was removed, the fan started up rotating slowly and he could feel no "wind" coz the fan was never in faster mode. I will also changed the thermostat as well and will see what happen next.

jinkly
Thu, Sep-30-2004, 03:09:51 PM
OK,

changing the fan rotor is the solution.
In the other hand, when I drive slowly in the city the temperature increases easily to the third quarter of the escale, then I need to increse the rpm from idle to reduces the temperature faster (about 1500 rpm), I hope this can you helps a little;

Good luck.

Michelangelo
Fri, Oct-01-2004, 02:37:56 AM
Humm...I wish the needle will stay at the middle of the gauge after changing the fan clutch and thermostat, though 3rd quarter is still not overheat.

jinkly
Fri, Oct-01-2004, 12:24:45 PM
Yesterday, I have seen the needle over the third quarter and at the end of it the fan starts, the temperature doesnt decrease fast it takes about 2 or 3 minutes. I would like to know what is the temperature that each line of the gauge show :hmm: ;

thanks in advance.