Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : dry car with leaf blower

kaiwang
Sat, Sep-25-2004, 03:27:35 PM
im thinking of buying 240mph muzzle velocity variable speed electric leaf blower to dry my car after washes.. esp usefull for drying the rims

anyone try this?

Divexxtreme
Sat, Sep-25-2004, 03:29:20 PM
Yes. Do it all the time.

Sirius
Sat, Sep-25-2004, 03:33:28 PM
I have done it before.

AhsanU
Sat, Sep-25-2004, 03:34:19 PM
It's pretty good. I've tried it.

kaiwang
Sat, Sep-25-2004, 03:42:34 PM
looks like im off to home depot then.

04tytaniumsylvr
Sat, Sep-25-2004, 06:40:50 PM
That's actually a good idea... :D

kaiwang
Sat, Sep-25-2004, 07:09:16 PM
damn this thing is powerful. 240mph air speed. if i put it on wheels the thing will take off like a jet. blows like a ------

BarryC
Sat, Sep-25-2004, 07:44:10 PM
My wife thinks I'm nuts because I use the blower ever time. My neighbors don't appreciate it much though at 7:30 on Sat morning.....

bm333w
Sat, Sep-25-2004, 07:44:49 PM
thankx for the clever idea

Predator
Sun, Sep-26-2004, 12:55:49 AM
thats a great idea ! i'm off to the patent office.

capirest
Wed, Oct-13-2004, 08:47:50 AM
im thinking of buying 240mph muzzle velocity variable speed electric leaf blower to dry my car after washes.. esp usefull for drying the rims

anyone try this?

How much did it cost you? :hmm:

kaiwang
Wed, Oct-13-2004, 10:50:36 AM
either $80 or $100. i forgot.

turns out its still faster to dry car with cali water blade and finish off w the blower to get water out of tight areas.

i use it mostly on my rim. i have deep dish aftermarket rims is it dries it out perfectly

epM3cisa
Wed, Oct-13-2004, 12:03:01 PM
either $80 or $100. i forgot.

turns out its still faster to dry car with cali water blade and finish off w the blower to get water out of tight areas.

i use it mostly on my rim. i have deep dish aftermarket rims is it dries it out perfectly

That is exactly what I do. I use a Cali Water Blade to get most of the water off. Then I use a mini 160mph car dryer (blower) to blow water out of the crevices and wheels. I finish up with a waffle weave mf towel. :thumbsup:

Sirius
Wed, Oct-13-2004, 07:05:39 PM
I have done that, but used compressed air before. I also vacuum the water off my rims after drying them.

icoburn
Sat, Oct-16-2004, 12:41:01 PM
I picked up this vacuum/blower combo and love it!

http://store1.yimg.com/I/autopia_1810_2381035

capirest
Sat, Oct-16-2004, 05:54:00 PM
I picked up this vacuum/blower combo and love it!

http://store1.yimg.com/I/autopia_1810_2381035

I need something like that for my garage. Where did you get it & how much?

Mendoan
Sat, Oct-16-2004, 06:28:01 PM
Does it have wires? Or powered by gasoline ?

Grimm333
Sat, Oct-16-2004, 07:20:36 PM
blower is perfectly safe...i use it on my cars with no problem...just make sure you are not blowing rocks onto your car ;)

icoburn
Sun, Oct-17-2004, 02:56:32 AM
capirest - I purchased through http://www.autogeek.net/vacuumblowers.html, but it is also available through http://www.autopia-carcare.com/cockpit.html

Mendoan - it runs off electricity :beer:

exceldetail
Sun, Oct-17-2004, 04:02:13 AM
I prefer the compressor. It has many other obvious uses, including blowing water out of lug nuts, vents, weather stripping, grills, tires, engines, floor matts, etc.....endless possibilities....
That is a nice vacuum though !

Roguish Racing
Mon, Oct-18-2004, 06:52:57 AM
I use a compressor I have access too which is crazy...reminds me of those dryers the drive thru washes use but handheld and more precise...definitely the best way to dry the deep dish wheels!

WA///M
Fri, Oct-29-2004, 10:13:59 PM
I've done this but when I got my Black BMW I quickly realized ....

:bullhorn: Water spottt Alert Look Closley

My Pref:

The Absorber***

icoburn
Sat, Oct-30-2004, 12:08:02 AM
I use a combination of the bio blower and absorber

I've done this but when I got my Black BMW I quickly realized ....

:bullhorn: Water spottt Alert Look Closley

My Pref:

The Absorber***

acitydweller
Mon, Nov-01-2004, 02:08:20 PM
make sure youre not kicking up any debris while youre blowing your car.

Kendrick07
Mon, Nov-01-2004, 08:42:49 PM
hmm. ive only used a air compressor with a narrow nozzle to get a higher pressure. this seemed to work well in my opinion, especially for the tight places like the grill and lines between the bumper and hood. ( the annoying drips of water that always appear somewhere after you actually start driving)

///Motorsport3 kID
Wed, Nov-03-2004, 04:09:27 AM
would that cause any damage to the clear coat? i would imagine that any dust in the air would be like sand blasting the car.

oh, there are 2 more pages of this thread. maybe my answer is there.

b74heavy
Wed, Nov-03-2004, 11:37:42 AM
That is exactly what I do. I use a Cali Water Blade to get most of the water off. Then I use a mini 160mph car dryer (blower) to blow water out of the crevices and wheels. I finish up with a waffle weave mf towel. :thumbsup:
What a great IDEA I cannot wait until it stops raining and I can use my leaf blower. I never would have thought of this thanks

abelgo1
Thu, Nov-25-2004, 05:23:07 AM
I use a small shop blower I picked up at a Kragen. It was on a pile of closout 'crap' that nobody wanted. They wanted $10.00 for it. Hell, brand new, still in the box, done. I threw it in the garage and forgot all about it for months until I acquired my M3. After I washed my car for the first time, I was ripping open a pack of brand new microfibers to begin drying, I happened to notice the stupid shop blower from the corner of my eye. It was sitting next to the water heater next to the furnace collecting cobwebs; forgotten.

BAM! Suddenly I was in a Reese's peanut buttercup commercial saying "Two great tastes that taste great together".

It was immediately clear that using a cheap $10.00 shop blower is still far superior to the manual towel dry method and I only dry my car in this way. Water is quickly and easily swept away from windows and paint and is forced out of hard to reach areas. Not a single drop of water is left inside the side mirrors to drip out later onto your otherwise spotless doors. Door jams and hard to reach areas are a breeze. I can fully dry an OEM 19" rim by simply aiming that screaming contraption at it for a few seconds.

Using this method can't be any worse on the paint surface either. You never touch the paint. The pressurized airstream does the work and few things are softer than air.

There are a couple of 'prereqs'. Paint surface must be clean and waxed to where the water beads otherwise the airstream only smears the water instead of sweeping it. Avoid drying in direct sunlight; a garage is preferable.

Conant
Mon, Nov-29-2004, 06:44:39 PM
I use a small shop blower I picked up at a Kragen. It was on a pile of closout 'crap' that nobody wanted. They wanted $10.00 for it. Hell, brand new, still in the box, done. I threw it in the garage and forgot all about it for months until I acquired my M3. After I washed my car for the first time, I was ripping open a pack of brand new microfibers to begin drying, I happened to notice the stupid shop blower from the corner of my eye. It was sitting next to the water heater next to the furnace collecting cobwebs; forgotten.

BAM! Suddenly I was in a Reese's peanut buttercup commercial saying "Two great tastes that taste great together".

It was immediately clear that using a cheap $10.00 shop blower is still far superior to the manual towel dry method and I only dry my car in this way. Water is quickly and easily swept away from windows and paint and is forced out of hard to reach areas. Not a single drop of water is left inside the side mirrors to drip out later onto your otherwise spotless doors. Door jams and hard to reach areas are a breeze. I can fully dry an OEM 19" rim by simply aiming that screaming contraption at it for a few seconds.

Using this method can't be any worse on the paint surface either. You never touch the paint. The pressurized airstream does the work and few things are softer than air.

There are a couple of 'prereqs'. Paint surface must be clean and waxed to where the water beads otherwise the airstream only smears the water instead of sweeping it. Avoid drying in direct sunlight; a garage is preferable.

Take a look into the Metro Air BLasters they were designed for drying motorcyles.

Ninja K
Tue, Nov-30-2004, 12:20:34 PM
lol :D Funny thread, super smart idea though... :D

argon
Mon, Dec-27-2004, 02:18:57 AM
yeah... be careful with the leaf blowers guys... they can throw and sandblast debris into your clear coat. find a professional car dryer that comes with a filter to clean the air you blast into your paint. it is worth the extra few bucks.

intohealth
Thu, Jan-06-2005, 10:17:00 PM

anyone try this?

Yes, it's the cheapest way to get a "blown" M3. I have a Carbon Black and I use zymol wash with deionized water (not Mr. Clean). If I can't leave it in the garage overnight afterward, I use the California Water Blade to get most of the water off, then the leaf blower. If you can find a service company that does deonized water, get yourself a tank. I wash and rinse the car with only deionzed water, so it never spots. Car dealers use deionzed water, so you may be able to get a connection through them. You can rent or buy them, just like a soft water service for your house.

capirest
Mon, Jan-24-2005, 10:23:26 PM
Finally ordered my Vac/Blow Auto Vacuum!!!! I can't wait til it arrives!!!!

speedking
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 05:22:53 PM
i do it for the mirrors and other crevices as well.......just can't stand the dripping once i start driving.

capirest
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 06:31:28 PM
i do it for the mirrors and other crevices as well.......just can't stand the dripping once i start driving.

I totally hate when that happens!!!

Sirius
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 08:04:09 PM
I just take mine for a spin around the block. Once I get back, I nab up whats dripped off and wipe the rims down.

o3TLson19s
Tue, Jan-25-2005, 11:29:39 PM
I use to take mine around the block as well but the car sometimes seems more dirty after then before i washed it :( so i stopped that and just use a water blade !!

capirest
Fri, Jan-28-2005, 06:46:41 AM
Well, the Vac/blow came in & I'm going to give her a wash tomorrow. Looking forward to blowing her dry! OOPPSSS, that didn't sound right?!?! LOL!!!!

capirest
Tue, Feb-01-2005, 04:19:15 AM
finally got a chance you use it! Let me tell you this thing is AWESOME!!! I also used it to clean up the yard today.

Everyone should own one of this..............