Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : 1999 ///M3 VS. 1996 Eclipse turbo

kasonm3
Fri, Sep-03-2004, 04:41:56 PM
First of all I want to start by saying I love this car and if I ever get soemthing else I want another m3. I bought this car with 40,000 miles on it and it was in mint condition. This guy at my school says he can out run me. He has a stock 1996 ECLIPSE GST turbo. I have of course a stock 1999 m3. Let me know what you think of a race. I have beat SIs and mustangs, and cameros but never raced a turbo. Leave me some responses and some cars you have beat in the stock m3s. Thanks

astan100
Fri, Sep-03-2004, 04:45:32 PM
Turbo, shmurbo...if it's stock, he's got nothing.

That car was like 0-60 in 6.7 or so NEW, so it's def. slower now. Also, it's FWD which means it'll be hard for him to launch well especially with the no power down low.

Go own him.

Beware if he's got mods though.

VTRick01
Fri, Sep-03-2004, 04:47:35 PM
Agreed. You should tear him up if you launch right.

vrsixer
Fri, Sep-03-2004, 04:49:13 PM
Show him some german muscle! :thumbsup:

PurpleM3Pursuit
Fri, Sep-03-2004, 05:05:42 PM
if he is stock (and if he said it and isn't lying) then u will pwn him.. if he pulled the honeycomb (i think that was done on the obd IIs also) and turned up the boost a tad with a MBC (manual boost controller) then u could be in for a run... they are very very very easy to mod.. if he didn't.. then be prepared to smile.. :D

M-avant
Fri, Sep-03-2004, 05:38:25 PM
DSM tricks on those cars can be pretty wicked. i've seen a POS Galant with like 300 @ the wheels; it wasn't a looker but it was fast.

if the Eclipse is stock, game on!
if it's modded, hope you get a really good launch.

99DakarM3
Fri, Sep-03-2004, 05:58:08 PM
Well having owned a 93 Talon TSi I can tell you that if he is stock - and you will have a hard time of knowing until you run him - then you should work him no problem. If he's upped the boost, removed the honeycomb that restricts the intake, and done a few other tweaks you will have a little more on your hands to deal with like others have said. If he's done more tuning, really upped the boost and has good tuning then he will walk you after the jump.

Good luck - I'd run him no matter what just to see what he's got.

Also - there's a good chance he wont finish the race, DSM's are known to be quite un-reliable, esp. when modded w/o "going all out."

PurpleM3Pursuit
Fri, Sep-03-2004, 06:16:09 PM
Well having owned a 93 Talon TSi I can tell you that if he is stock - and you will have a hard time of knowing until you run him - then you should work him no problem. If he's upped the boost, removed the honeycomb that restricts the intake, and done a few other tweaks you will have a little more on your hands to deal with like others have said. If he's done more tuning, really upped the boost and has good tuning then he will walk you after the jump.

Good luck - I'd run him no matter what just to see what he's got.

Also - there's a good chance he wont finish the race, DSM's are known to be quite un-reliable, esp. when modded w/o "going all out."

2nd gear and fuel cut.. lol.. those are nice things :P

99DakarM3
Fri, Sep-03-2004, 07:03:36 PM
Or stalling in the middle of a 6-lane intersection and getting T-boned by a Volvo station wagon doing 60-70 mph, because of the fuel-cut.

At least it put a quick end to the car though.

PurpleM3Pursuit
Sat, Sep-04-2004, 12:32:37 AM
lol holy ****.. yeah.. fuel cut sux.. damn

04M3blur
Sat, Sep-04-2004, 04:58:17 AM
Or stalling in the middle of a 6-lane intersection and getting T-boned by a Volvo station wagon doing 60-70 mph, because of the fuel-cut.

At least it put a quick end to the car though.

Sounds like you've seen this happen.

Sirius
Sat, Sep-04-2004, 05:13:35 AM
Grab a .45 magnum and put his car out of its misery.

PurpleM3Pursuit
Sat, Sep-04-2004, 12:34:38 PM
loli would still want a gst or gsx for shits.. they are a blast

M-avant
Sat, Sep-04-2004, 08:28:51 PM

or go oldskool with a Conquest TSi (i think its called). my uncle had one -
it had like a Mitsubishi truck motor with a turbo. it was like the fishtail mobile.

it's still haulin ass to this day...

RANGEROVER9797M
Sat, Sep-04-2004, 08:36:36 PM
gs-t's run 210 hp stock. if your at a dead stop you'll get him even modded. no ability to hook up and they throw axel's if the have to much torque to the wheels. rolling start may be a little tricky though. they run high revs so you'll have a hard time finding the right gear to be in. 1st may be to high of an rpm and 2 nd to low. just run him from a dead stop on a curvy road and bring the # for the local tow service, he'll need it when he snow plows into the first ditch.

Ty Vil
Sat, Sep-04-2004, 08:50:44 PM
Hey drag racing is really what our cars are designed for too.

DOUGYKIM
Mon, Sep-06-2004, 08:57:41 PM
my eclipse gs-t got destroyed in a severe flood. I didn't know what i'd do w/ out my beloved gs-t, until i got an m3. But anyways...

Before you race the dude, ask for a healthy rev from his engine.

Listen for a blow-off valve pressure release at the end of his throttle blip. If he gives you a ***** blip to like 2,500 rpm you may not hear it...so have him at least blip to 3,500 rpm.

If you hear no "PSSSHHH" sound, work him on the street. No matter what you do on the dsm 2.0L turbos, if you don't swap out the stock blow-off valve... you lose pressure. You get max. 12 psi from a stock T-25 w/ a boost controller w/out swapping that valve out...and from there...it's a noisy little brat at every shift. I used to love it....kinda still miss it...

Also...those eclipses are GREAT to race on a curvy road...modded or not...if it's not a gs-x, it's liable to end up in a wreck trying to keep up w/ an m3. You def. should try racing him on a tossy road, rather than a straight one... just to shame him completely.

eclipses (aside from gs-x) also have a great amount of trouble keeping most of its power on the road. VERY excessive wheelspin for the amount of thrust being made, as compared to the rear-drive m3.

GOOD LUCK!

SOURCE1064
Tue, Sep-07-2004, 04:58:10 PM
I have 97 GSX which is the AWD version and raced my car when it was stock against a 98 M3. I was able to keep even with the M3, there is no way the FWD could beat you stock. Now if it's modded and has a boost controler then he might have a chance but not at all stock.

SOURCE1064
Tue, Sep-07-2004, 06:08:30 PM

They are a blast. Check out mine. http://www.its-over.net/ 526whp

http://www.its-over.net/Decal%20off.jpg

Sirius
Tue, Sep-07-2004, 06:57:04 PM
Damn Charlie. Thats alot of hp.

SOURCE1064
Tue, Sep-07-2004, 07:09:13 PM
Damn Charlie. Thats alot of hp.

It was my first car. Very easy and cheap to mod with big gains. I have a few engine blocks around incase I have the dreaded crankwalk problem these 4G63 7 bolt engines are notorious for. I can rebuild my engine for a little under 2 g's you can't do that with the M. That's why this car is still around, so I don't go too mod crazy with the M.

Sirius
Tue, Sep-07-2004, 07:18:18 PM
Sounds like a good plan to me hehe.