Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : How do you remove wax from plastic/rubber

thor2j
Thu, Sep-02-2004, 01:20:51 AM
I got a little wax on the trim around the windows on my '04 M. It didn't turn white, but it left it looking "wet" all the time. I was wondering how to remove it. I was told that nail polish remover (which I guess is acetone) will do it, but I know acetone eats some plastic.

Kevin034
Thu, Sep-02-2004, 01:23:43 AM
I got a little wax on the trim around the windows on my '04 M. It didn't turn white, but it left it looking "wet" all the time. I was wondering how to remove it. I was told that nail polish remover (which I guess is acetone) will do it, but I know acetone eats some plastic.
How? Very carefully.

Lightfoot
Thu, Sep-02-2004, 01:34:52 AM
I would first try some solvents like gasoline (or paint thinner or kerosene), acetone, dry cleaning solvents (chlorinated solvents), isopropyl alcohol, other solvents. But before I tried them on the trim that you can see, I would try them in a hidden area of the same pastic trim to see if the solvent swells or dissolves the plastic, or changes its color. Generally a short exposure to solvents won't damage plastics to a large degree.

cbformula
Thu, Sep-02-2004, 01:40:09 AM
Did you use a natural carnuba based wax? If so, chances are its the oils thats making your trim shinny. An often effective way to remove the oils is my washing the area with dish soap. Something simple like dawn.

I would refrain from anything harsh or abraisive as some of the things mentioned above.

Sirius
Thu, Sep-02-2004, 02:39:09 AM
Try a pencil eraser.

kingfeta
Thu, Sep-02-2004, 03:07:51 AM
Try a pencil eraser.

Bump on this. It works...seriously.

M3peat
Thu, Sep-02-2004, 03:17:11 AM
Try a pencil eraser.
Also removes scuffs on the interior plastic!

mk112288
Thu, Sep-02-2004, 03:35:31 AM
hot soapy water, mild soap, it works really well

SpecialK
Fri, Sep-03-2004, 02:14:47 AM
:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: I wouldn't advise using harsh solvents on plastics ever. Immediate effects may not always be seen, but it can do several things: melt or alter the finish on contact as you indicated, discolor the area immediately or over time, and it may also embed the very material you are trying to remove into the plastic. Go here: http://www.properautocare.com/glass---plastic.html You can calltheir 1-800 for more detailed instructions. I would first try some solvents like gasoline (or paint thinner or kerosene), acetone, dry cleaning solvents (chlorinated solvents), isopropyl alcohol, other solvents. But before I tried them on the trim that you can see, I would try them in a hidden area of the same pastic trim to see if the solvent swells or dissolves the plastic, or changes its color. Generally a short exposure to solvents won't damage plastics to a large degree.