Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : E30 M3 as a commuter???

newport996
Sat, Aug-28-2004, 06:20:23 AM
I drive daily from Newport Beach to Hollywood (100 miles round trip). I need a nice sporty commuter that will not cos an arm and a leg to maintain. Preferably German in origin. I am thinking of the original BMW E30 M3. I seem to see them from 5-10k, but I know nothing about the reliability or upkeep. What am I getting into? Is this a fairly reliable and solid car? What is the average life of the M3 motor? Thanks....

e30m3man
Sun, Aug-29-2004, 04:33:15 AM
Don't get an e30 m3. For that money you can get a e36 3 series or a e34 5 series or a very nice e30 325i with money left over. Parts are expensive and sometimes takes longer than other models to get the parts you need. So when you do have a major problem you will probably be out a car for a few days or weeks. They are for the most part very reilable depending on how you treat them. They are great cars when its not a daily driver or you have a spare car to drive. Mine has 160K miles on it and is still running strong. Last month I drove it on a trip that was 2200 miles round trip. Didn't have a problem.

JAlfredPrufrock
Sun, Aug-29-2004, 06:22:15 PM
I seem to see them from 5-10k, but I know nothing about the reliability or upkeep. What am I getting into? Is this a fairly reliable and solid car? What is the average life of the M3 motor? Thanks....

You see them for 5-10k? Mind pointing me in that direction? I can't seem to find the under 10k. As far as what you are getting yourself into, if you buy one you're getting into one of the best sportscars ever made and the winningest touring car in racing history.

As far as reliability, there is very little even with a car that has been gone over. Not to say that these cars can't make good commuters from time to time, but if you run this car day in day out on the street expecting it to be solid as a rock over time things will begin to go sour. The S14 motor in the e30 M3 is a high-revving N/A inline four cylinder and parts/repairs aren't exactly cheap.

So if you're looking for a commuter car, look elsewhere. But if you're looking for a track/autox/weekend car, you may just have to take one for a spin.

e30m3man
Wed, Sep-01-2004, 11:48:10 PM
Every once in a while you can find one cheap they are usually under $12,000 on ebay average is around $9,000. I bought mine for $7,500 but it took me a 1 1/2 years to find it.

Michelangelo
Tue, Sep-28-2004, 07:17:19 AM
I got mine for $8000, but with broken interior. Anyway, the chassis is the best one I could find by then, after tried 3 totally, and mine was the least expensive one. An excellent condition one usually costs about $13000 to $15000. Anyway, now I'm facing overheat problem. If I can't fix it, I must sell this little thing and switch back to FC3S (although my last FC got stolen at UCLA 2 months ago)