Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Question about cleaning brake dust

ggs
Wed, Aug-25-2004, 10:38:31 PM
What does everyone here do for cleaning brake dust? I use the Armorall wheel cleaner, and it seems to do a good job of removing 98% of the dust, but there seems to be some particles that form a hard cake - these do not get removed by the cleaner. Anyone else experience this?

Also, for those who live in freezing climes, how do you clean your wheels in winter?

THanks

Lightfoot
Wed, Aug-25-2004, 10:45:15 PM
I just use some household cleaner and a paper towel. This may be the wrong way to go about it but it seems to have no ill effects.

jerrygee
Wed, Aug-25-2004, 10:57:56 PM
I have had good results from P21S gel wheel cleaner. I have used it on numerous alloys from various cars and never had a problem. I then apply a coat of car wax after about every five cleanings to facilitate in clean-up the next time.

I wouldn’t use a household cleaning product as some may be a bit too acidic and could cause problems on non clear coat alloys and you wouldn’t know you had a problem until the damage was done.

NunSuperior
Thu, Aug-26-2004, 01:34:15 AM
I've been using Sonus Gel and another spray and wash cleaner, I forget the brand. Both are fine for the day-to-day build up but I have massive caking/etching from the previous owner. It literally looks like the inside of the rims were painted black and just wore off. I tried some Mother's Billet polish but it didn't do anything.

Any ideas?? I heard steam cleaning might work.