Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Advice:Zaino Clay Bar

CELICA414
Wed, Jul-21-2004, 02:36:35 AM
Anyone have any tips or tricks for it's use. I think i'll be trying it on my car for the first time next week. I don't want to scartch my car though, any advice would help. I've read the Zaino instructions and all, but i feel like i need MORE!!!
Thanks

Beowoulf
Wed, Jul-21-2004, 06:50:13 AM
It's easy. Just wash the car well and then wet a small area with soapy water from a spray bottle and rub. The only way you will screw up is if you drop the clay and get stuff on it. Just fold it often and get rid of it when it's dirty.

CELICA414
Wed, Jul-21-2004, 07:13:34 AM
Ok, thanks. I'm just worried because my boss (a former car detailer) told me some horror stories about idiots missusing clay bars and ruining their cars. I'll be careful.

NRG
Wed, Jul-21-2004, 12:54:34 PM
It's easy. Just wash the car well and then wet a small area with soapy water from a spray bottle and rub. The only way you will screw up is if you drop the clay and get stuff on it. Just fold it often and get rid of it when it's dirty.

True just keep it well lubricated and do one panel at a time. Clean the area first before you clay and you should be fine.

Sirius
Wed, Mar-16-2005, 05:27:28 PM
Wax after claying correct? Or should you re-wash then wax?

MaNaWaR
Wed, Mar-16-2005, 05:51:31 PM
keep it well lubricated and if it starts to stick, lubricate it more. dont press to hard and reform after every panel. throw it out if it touches the ground

AudiOn19s
Wed, Mar-16-2005, 06:57:14 PM
as stated above...lubrication is key...and very little pressure...it's better to make many passes over bad areas than using more pressure with fewer passes.

Sirius
Wed, Mar-16-2005, 08:50:28 PM
I have 'used' claybars at work before to remove overspray. I have have never fully detailed a car with it, so I was wondering the best order to due everything in.

I am thinking:

Wash/rinse
Throw soapy water on car again, clay bar then.
Rinse off, dry.
Wax/polish.

Sound about right?

uansari1
Wed, Mar-16-2005, 10:04:29 PM
I have 'used' claybars at work before to remove overspray. I have have never fully detailed a car with it, so I was wondering the best order to due everything in.

I am thinking:

Wash/rinse
Throw soapy water on car again, clay bar then.
Rinse off, dry.
Wax/polish.

Sound about right?

Wash/rinse
Remove excess water with a water blade or something similar (doesn't have to be perfectly dry)
Clay the car using a spray bottle with soapy water or QD spray
Wash/rinse again.
Polish THEN wax.

SpecialK
Thu, Mar-17-2005, 12:10:00 AM
Check out the sticky at the top of this section.

NsSeX
Thu, Mar-17-2005, 05:40:06 PM
I don't rewash after clay baring. Is that bad? :nixweiss:

AudiOn19s
Thu, Mar-17-2005, 06:20:51 PM
me neither...I don't dry the car first and clay with a spray bottle either...I clay immediatly after washing and use a fresh bucket of wash / water for lube.

acitydweller
Tue, Mar-22-2005, 09:19:32 AM
washing after claybaring isnt required since you are already stripping the finish of all the contaminants. probably best to wipe down the clay residue (nominal at best) and to apply a sealant, polish, then wax. with three more layers to go, the time could be spent there rather than another wash IMHO ;)

2004m3INjune
Tue, Mar-22-2005, 10:10:03 AM
a sealant, polish then wax?? what sealant/polish do you use?? i just wax..

BMW F1
Tue, Mar-22-2005, 11:29:03 AM
If you get it all wrong, Im sure Alex will come around and fix it up for you :D
Adam.