Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : 35% tint on windshield? Good or bad idea?

NightmarE46
Mon, Jun-27-2011, 05:35:27 PM
I got 18% on all my windows I have a prescription saying I can have dark tint but is 35 on the windshield extremely noticeable? Would it prevent me from seeing at night? I am running 6000k headlights so ya that may make it harder l. What do you all think? And would it look good? Does anyone have any pics?

m3freak86
Mon, Jun-27-2011, 05:39:17 PM
Bad idea. It's a pure show car and hardly ever driven on the street... sure go for dark windshield tint. Everyday driver that you drive in rain, dark, etc... absolutely not. I have 35% on all my windows and I could never imagine having to look through the windshield with that tint on.

smares21
Mon, Jun-27-2011, 05:41:33 PM
BAD idea. Besides getting pulled over...

JasonH
Mon, Jun-27-2011, 05:41:54 PM
Do you enjoy being pulled over by police? Most tinters won't even do windshields.

NightmarE46
Mon, Jun-27-2011, 05:44:27 PM
Yea what about the visor strip?

smares21
Mon, Jun-27-2011, 05:44:47 PM
Most tinters won't even do windshields.

Tinters will do anything for the right price and cash payment.

SC_TR0JAN_M3
Mon, Jun-27-2011, 05:57:39 PM
terrible and stupid idea.

rh_wa
Mon, Jun-27-2011, 06:01:12 PM
Bad idea, including your 18% tint. I don't know how you can back up or look out the windows to see anything. 35% all around minus the windshield is good enough IMO and still looks good.

TxMtrey
Mon, Jun-27-2011, 06:11:26 PM
i have 20% all around (excluding windshield!) and its not too dark besides at night time.

I have had friends who have done 35% on the windshield and I think it looks great but could never imagine driving around with it. Why risk lowering your visibility and safety for something that looks cool? You may miss that deer about to run out into the street ahead of you or that child running around at night (for whatever reason? lol)..

anyways, i'd pass on it man. if it were a weekend driver during the daytime only, possibly, but not a DD that you drive during the night/bad weather.

My 2cents. I think a visor strip would look okay though. I prefer nothing to be honest.

thebigler
Mon, Jun-27-2011, 06:12:44 PM
Don't listen to these guys I have had it on all of my cars and you can barely even notice it. Trust me it still gets the job done while looking good IMO. And every time I have ever been pulled over a cop has never even noticed it

Foo2rama
Mon, Jun-27-2011, 06:17:43 PM
i have 20% all around (excluding windshield!) and its not too dark besides at night time.

:::facepalm:::

Doing the front is a bad idea, and asking to get pulled over. Doing a top strip looks tacky unless you are rolling an 80's Camaro. You can get a clear UV tint on the front though.

Mobbin_PCH
Mon, Jun-27-2011, 06:23:08 PM
I always approve of putting one's vanity ahead of other people's safety :thumbsup:

egk2
Mon, Jun-27-2011, 06:56:39 PM
Mine's done very light(35%), barely noticeable but keeps my interior noticeably cooler though, I only drive mine in the summer...but I gotta say, nobody ever notices the windshield is tinted and I can see fine day and night. Don't do a strip, looks tacky imo.

Mr.B///MW
Mon, Jun-27-2011, 07:06:29 PM
just wear sunglasses during the day?

NightmarE46
Mon, Jun-27-2011, 07:17:48 PM
How about 50%?

Keegan99
Mon, Jun-27-2011, 08:14:46 PM
As others have said, seems like a pair of sunglasses could solve this problem more effectively. Plus, there's an off chance someone else might end up driving your vehicle and not be used to the tint. It's a definite danger.

JimmyAngelo
Mon, Jun-27-2011, 08:37:36 PM
I have solar gard ultra performance 20% on the the car and 75% on the windshield which has almost no shade to it. I have no troubles with visibility at night and with the Vegas heat is helps alot.

12vElectronics
Mon, Jun-27-2011, 08:41:05 PM
Horrible idea.

santana
Mon, Jun-27-2011, 08:47:27 PM
Illegal over here on front windscreen and front (side) windows.
Guaranteed cop stopper.

Dr.Nefario
Mon, Jun-27-2011, 08:47:52 PM
I have 20% all around and 50% on the windshield.6k headlights and 6k fogs. It's fine for the most part but I definitely would not go darker than it already is

cosmos///m3
Mon, Jun-27-2011, 08:55:40 PM
I dont thing its a bad concept, possibly to dark with the front tint. With that said, I have 15% all around and 50% on my front windshield... Dont ever have an issue, but then again I have had lazik thus, I hope my eyes are better than all you blind bastards :laughhard: jk....

With reguards to the police, I have been pulled over twice. Matter of fact 20 minutes apart from one another during a trip to STL. First cop let me go, second cop was a prick. I do have a script making my tint "legal" due to suffering from migranes from excessive sunlight (I also think its due to my lazik :shifty:) long story short, my script was in my other car at the time :facepalm:

...So to sum it up its your car do whatever the hell you want, just be responsible and know your limits when driving at night what is too dark?

BosnianM3
Mon, Jun-27-2011, 09:24:45 PM
I would do 50% instead of 35

JAM///
Mon, Jun-27-2011, 09:27:29 PM
Bad idea, just my :twocents:

///M Time
Mon, Jun-27-2011, 10:46:47 PM
my friend has 5 all around and 35 on the windshield and it looks awesome! but driving at night you cant see sh*t

DSS M3
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 12:13:36 AM
my wife has 50% on her front window on a 2008 G35 but her sides and rear are 35% as far as night driving its not bad I would not go any darker than that however at first when we had it done I found myself struggling at night to see so I always have the highbeams on when I can now that im used to it doesnt bother me at all.That being said it makes the look of the car in my opinion

///o5e46m3
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 12:55:18 AM
I've driven 2 different e46 m3's with 35% tint on the front windshield and it makes the car look that much better... At night, YOU CAN SEE... BUT it does mess up your perception a bit... It feels like you're driving with low beam lights or something is messed up with your headlights....

I personally wouldn't do it because I like to drive the mountain roads at night and I wouldn't want ANYTHING to get in the way of my sight behind the wheel of my M3......and other reasons :taser:

It looks cool though...I'd probably recommend 50% if you really want the tint, if you don't race through the mountains at night, and even if you want to avoid a fix it ticket.....

devilbones
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 12:58:08 AM
Can somebody with the windshield tinted post some pics? I dont think I have ever seen this on a street car.

erc430
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 02:13:08 AM
I have 50 on my front windshield with 15 on the sides and I can see just fine at night. Most people don't even realize the windshield is tinted.

egk2
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 03:34:34 AM
Can somebody with the windshield tinted post some pics? I dont think I have ever seen this on a street car.

Here's mine, 35% on all windows.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v191/egktwo/IMG_3691.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v191/egktwo/IMG_3664.jpg

Not too dark at all.

StokedM3
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 03:51:02 AM
I've driven 2 different e46 m3's with 35% tint on the front windshield and it makes the car look that much better... At night, YOU CAN SEE... BUT it does mess up your perception a bit... It feels like you're driving with low beam lights or something is messed up with your headlights....

A) Is this why so many a**holes drive around with their high beams on?

B) If it feels like your low beams are on when your high beams are on... jesus, what's the point here. Feel free to kill yourself, but you better not wander into my lane, or the back of my bike or into my neighbor's kid chasing their ball into the street as you.... nevermind.

I see nothing here that sunglasses wouldn't cure and can't imagine why a script would make it legal, but then again, politicians aren't exactly the smartest people on earth.

SuperFrog
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 03:58:31 AM
Don't be a pussay, go 10% all around.

Saag
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 04:03:32 AM
ITT: e46 section

seriosly

Rmayrap
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 04:10:59 AM
35% is too dark, i have 50% and i love it. i can see just fine.

heres an old pic of my car showing the tinted windshield.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/E46_DRIV3R/M3%20VERT/outside.jpg

Dr.Nefario
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 04:15:29 AM
20 all around 50 on the windshield
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j295/JohnMarz/IMAG1227.jpg

NightmarE46
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 04:22:59 AM
I'm gonna go ahead with my 18% on sides that I love and I'm getting 50% tomarrow on windshield I think I do have black interior so hopefully it will look darker but I can see fine at night

NightmarE46
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 04:24:00 AM

Cf roof!?

Dr.Nefario
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 04:28:18 AM
Nah just vinyl lol

Jack Sparrow
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 05:27:38 AM
Brah do it & post pics brah!

darcside
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 07:53:53 AM
Spray paint windows black. Problem solved.

tenfifteen
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 08:54:54 AM
ITT: Luke Skywalker. :goodluck:

http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/images/jmiles/2007/02/26/lukeblindfolded.png

Dremersvision
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 10:34:45 AM
LOL, i was in NYC this past weekend and this style seem to be pretty big there. It looked good on some vehicles and it looked horrible on others.

kmfurdm
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 11:40:05 AM
Wear sunglasses...?

Tinting the windshield is not a good idea.

P4lm3r
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 11:53:47 AM
Blindfold or gtfo,

tenfifteen
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 12:08:04 PM
Wear sunglasses...?

Tinting the windshield is not a good idea.
But bro, he has a prescription for his CAR.

jph28
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 12:17:22 PM

That looks atrocious.

And sacrificing how well you can see out of your car to look "sick" is one of the worst ideas I've heard in this section... which carries some serious meaning.

flow350
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 12:39:00 PM
Funny to hear all of these opinions and only a few that have actually done this. 35% tint is hardley noticeable while in the car. It will not hinder your night driving, it does not make you blind, and it does not completely block your vision. Yes, there will be less light entering the car at night (from a pure statistical standpoint, not a practical standpoint), but it is NOT noticeable. Switching between cars at night with one having 35% tint on the windshield and one without--you will not notice any loss of visibility. You will still see kids running in the streets, you will still see people on their bikes, and it will not cause you to wander across lanes (wtf?, I was unaware that window tint caused one to be drunk).

You probably expected all of these responses because almost everyone on this forum drives a racecar, and we all know that racecars do not have tinted windows.

Yes, I am in the minority here and do have 35% on the windshield. It does not hinder my night driving, but it ABSOLUTELY does reduce the interior temps of car when parked on a hot summer day. Maybe we should all disconnect the self-dimming rearview mirror because when it darkens, it becomes a black hole hanging from the windshield…

Take the FACTS for what they are and make your own decision.

EuroKid65
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 12:41:06 PM
Went into a tint shop and asked them to put 5% on my windshield and 2% on the rest of the car.
Pics soon.

King Luis
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 12:52:37 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_KTHmYo26-Uk/TC9pzSov7iI/AAAAAAAAQzs/D8TjV2rP7_g/s1600/blinddriver-cane-xxx.jpg

egk2
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 01:08:00 PM
Funny to hear all of these opinions and only a few that have actually done this. 35% tint is hardley noticeable while in the car. It will not hinder your night driving, it does not make you blind, and it does not completely block your vision. Yes, there will be less light entering the car at night (from a pure statistical standpoint, not a practical standpoint), but it is NOT noticeable. Switching between cars at night with one having 35% tint on the windshield and one without--you will not notice any loss of visibility. You will still see kids running in the streets, you will still see people on their bikes, and it will not cause you to wander across lanes (wtf?, I was unaware that window tint caused one to be drunk).

You probably expected all of these responses because almost everyone on this forum drives a racecar, and we all know that racecars do not have tinted windows.

Yes, I am in the minority here and do have 35% on the windshield. It does not hinder my night driving, but it ABSOLUTELY does reduce the interior temps of car when parked on a hot summer day. Maybe we should all disconnect the self-dimming rearview mirror because when it darkens, it becomes a black hole hanging from the windshield…

I agree, I also have 35% on all my windows and it doesn't hinder my vision or sacrifice mine or anyone else's safety. Nobody even notices mine is tinted but like you said, it drastically reduces interior heat in the summer and saves my interior from sun damage.

JoaiM3
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 01:09:46 PM
OP, bad idea period. It gets worse when it's raining/damp at night.

FACTS? :facepalm: You gotta be kidding yourself if you say you can't notice the difference between your 35% tinted windshield and a non-tinted windshield at night.

OP, go drive a car with 35% tinted windshield at night and tell me you don't notice a difference LOL.

flow350
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 01:18:35 PM
OP, bad idea period. It gets worse when it's raining/damp at night.

FACTS? :facepalm: You gotta be kidding yourself if you say you can't notice the difference between your 35% tinted windshield and a non-tinted windshield at night.

OP, go drive a car with 35% tinted windshield at night and tell me you don't notice a difference LOL.

I switch between the two cars I own all the time. One has a tinted windshield, the other does not. I am not kidding myself, my night driving is not hindered with the tinted windshield.

Rain or dampness does not make driving at night any more or less difficult between the two cars.

I know this is hard for you to believe...

kmfurdm
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 01:22:02 PM
But bro, he has a prescription for his CAR.

Next up is a handicapped placard because of a sore wrist.

Mobbin_PCH
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 01:25:15 PM

Ya know what else keeps heat out of your car?
http://cdn.autoanything.com/images/products/med/sun_shades/custom_uv_shield.jpg

But don't worry I also approve of putting one's laziness ahead of other's safety. What's your next excuse?

flow350
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 01:31:02 PM

But don't worry I also approve of putting one's laziness ahead of other's safety. What's your next excuse?

WTF are you talking about? Laziness? Other's safety?

I do not believe laziness is even remotely relevant to this...good try though:thumbsup2:.

Safety--not sure how this is relevant either. Most of the people on here are acting like window tint makes you blind. I am certain that I can still see out of my car just fine--nobody's safety is at risk here.:laughhard:

egk2
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 01:31:34 PM
http://cdn.autoanything.com/images/products/med/sun_shades/custom_uv_shield.jpg

Pretty sure you're not supposed to drive around with that thing up.

kmfurdm
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 01:33:44 PM
Pretty sure you're not supposed to drive around with that thing up.

Umm...cut a hole in it. :parrot:

Mobbin_PCH
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 01:35:00 PM

I'll just leave this here for those that scored low in reading comprehension.

flow350
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 01:38:28 PM
I'll just leave this here for those that scored low in reading comprehension.

Perhaps you should re-read the portion of the sentance that says, "..does NOT hinder my night driving..."

If it makes you happy, I'm sure that it also reduces the temps of the car's interior while driving (not just when it is parked).:parrot:

egk2
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 01:40:03 PM
WTF are you talking about? Laziness? Other's safety?

I do not believe laziness is even remotely relevant to this...good try though:thumbsup2:.

Safety--not sure how this is relevant either. Most of the people on here are acting like window tint makes you blind. I am certain that I can still see out of my car just fine--nobody's safety is at risk here.:laughhard:

/\ This and if we go by the opinions of those who are opposed to tint on windshields then we might as well remove the tint from the side and rear glass:roll:on the account that it makes you unsafe.

egk2
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 01:40:43 PM

:rofl3:

Mobbin_PCH
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 01:42:49 PM
http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/m/m5WywX-I7RsMMyWtzL8mq7Q/140.jpg

flow350
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 01:47:46 PM
http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/m/m5WywX-I7RsMMyWtzL8mq7Q/140.jpg

:lolhit:

Porschetech
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 04:34:13 PM
:laughhard:.....fread delivers. i :wub: e46 section

ILLuSioNz X
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 04:39:07 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2007/01/blind_driver.jpg

LALaw
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 04:44:46 PM
I had no idea there were so many stupid window tint installers out there

To those who want to tint your front windshield, go limo tint or go home

05e46M3
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 04:48:21 PM
I'd go 50% on the windshield..

tbaker474
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 05:26:13 PM

So you are trying to make the assertion that 65% less light entering the car does not affect visibility whatsoever?

Gotta love the e46 section, where the laws of science need not apply.

silvr04M3
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 05:49:45 PM
I got 20% all around and 35% on my windshield and it doesn't bother me, but that's just me i don't track the car, I don't "drive in mountains at night", I just drive the car from point A to point B and have a little fun in it when its safe.

It's your car, you do what you want to it. If you do it and you don't like it, just simply take it off. That's what i thought when i got mine done, if I didn't like it I would have just took it of, it's not like you'll be losing hundreds of dollars, mine cost me $30. It hasn't bothered me so I still have it on, but it's your car you do what you want to it.

flow350
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 06:24:21 PM
So you are trying to make the assertion that 65% less light entering the car does not affect visibility whatsoever?

Trust me; I do not need any lessons in 'science.' And, judging by the picture of the racecar in your signature, you will never agree with me. I will still try because I am bored and amazed at the ignorance in here...

I said that the window tint is hardly noticeable while in the car. I can still see out the winshield just fine, the visibility is not affected in any perceivable way to compromise anyone's safety.

Since almost everyone is jumping on the "you are an idiot for tinting your front windshield bandwagon," lets use some real-world experience to answer the question:

I believe it is fair to say that a lot of people on this board have some of their windows tinted. To those that have 35% tint on their windows, except the windshield, can you still see safely out your side-view mirrors? Can you still see out the side windows? Can you still see out the back and with the rear-view mirror?

I would expect everyone to say their visibility is not affected (considering any and all practical purposes)--but maybe they will disagree due to the tone set in this thread. Visibility should be even worse out of the side and rear windows because there is less light transmission through the side and back windows at night (headlight face forward so most of the light will be reflected and transmitted back through the windshield); however, you can still see just fine. What is the significant difference with the windshield? Does it magically become a curtain when tint is applied, but the other windows dont?

silvr04M3
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 06:28:48 PM
And keep in mind too, there is street lights out there and there for a reason to help people see. Its not like you go out at night and it's pitch black everywhere.

kmfurdm
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 06:30:02 PM
Trust me; I do not need any lessons in 'science.' And, judging by the picture of the racecar in your signature, you will never agree with me. I will still try because I am bored and amazed at the ignorance in here...

I said that the window tint is hardly noticeable while in the car. I can still see out the winshield just fine, the visibility is not affected in any perceivable way to compromise anyone's safety.

Since almost everyone is jumping on the "you are an idiot for tinting your front windshield bandwagon," lets use some real-world experience to answer the question:

I believe it is fair to say that a lot of people on this board have some of their windows tinted. To those that have 35% tint on their windows, except the windshield, can you still see safely out your side-view mirrors? Can you still see out the side windows? Can you still see out the back and with the rear-view mirror?

I would expect everyone to say their visibility is not affected (considering any and all practical purposes)--but maybe they will disagree due to the tone set in this thread. Visibility should be even worse out of the side and rear windows because there is less light transmission through the side and back windows at night (headlight face forward so most of the light will be reflected and transmitted back through the windshield); however, you can still see just fine. What is the significant difference with the windshield? Does it magically become a curtain when tint is applied, but the other windows dont?

Yes...absolutely. My windows are 35% all around which is as far as I would go. At night on dark side streets it can be a bit harder to see house numbers, etc. And I have very good vision. But putting it on the windshield that I spend the vast majority of the time looking out of? No way. It's such a bizarre idea I can't even comprehend it.

I do have pretty light sensitive eyes, but that's what decent sunglasses are for.

LALaw
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 08:23:31 PM
Why buy sunglasses or windshield shades when you can tint your front windshield and make it harder to drive safely all the time?

I love the logic of this section.

terraphantm
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 08:44:45 PM

I have some pretty light tints on my car. I don't know exactly how dark they are since the previous owner did them - however, my rear windows match the 30% my cousin's car has, and my front windows are lighter (I would guess 40%). Windshield is clear. Occasionally I do have trouble seeing out the side windows - there are times when I've had to roll down the windows just so I can see where I was trying to turn. I cannot imagine driving with my windshield tinted to that extent. Admittedly I drive a lot of roads where there are no sources of light whatsoever.

FWIW, I tend to have better night vision than most.

Defuse
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 08:52:35 PM
On my Tahoe I had 5% on the sides and 35% on the windshield. Night driving, rain, dusk, dawn, or any situation that limits visibility made it very hard to see with tint on the windshield.

It does not matter how bright your headlights are the tint will reduce your ability to see and is not a good idea. If you are concerned about your eyes then get a good pair of sunglasses. If you are concerned about heat then get a good sunshade.

I am currently running 15% on the sides and back of the M and it is plenty to keep the car cooler and help with the sun midday.

Saag
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 09:13:05 PM
ITT: E46 section level intelligence.

RSM333
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 10:41:27 PM
If some of you are experiencing difficulty observing the road in front of you due to the sun. I found that 50 percent of the direct light can be cut out using the cholo curtain beads that I presently rock across my headliner. Sometimes it's not enough though, so I raise half the right side of car up with of course ma hydraulic suspension system just enough to get my rearview mirror to block out the rest. Not alway a good move. Ma 12" rims w/ the 225 tires (representen) gets all jacked up.

The best way I found to avoid the sun all together is really just to stare at the mural of my wife on the hood of the car. Ha Ha side note: Ma wifey thinks it's her, she don't know it's one of b!tches on the side.

Mr.B///MW
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 10:48:19 PM
Lmao 8 pages. Seriously, just get sunglasses. It's much cheaper and just as effective. Jesus.

E46M3BMW
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 11:28:47 PM
Why would you put tint on the front windshield?

turbomw
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 11:32:17 PM
I can't figure out what's worse, tire stretching or tinted windshield? And I read both threads.....:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

It DOES hinder night vision, your eyes are picking up less light through tint...Period.

egk2
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 11:41:24 PM
I can't figure out what's worse, tire stretching or tinted windshield? And I read both threads.....:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Tinted tails, woop woop.

Mr.B///MW
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 11:42:54 PM
I guess it's just time to accept that the once amazing E46 M3 has become a clown car.

turbomw
Tue, Jun-28-2011, 11:45:59 PM
Tinted tails, woop woop.

Knew this would come up, they are brighter than OEM bulbs. They might even be brighter than OEM LED's.

silvr04M3
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 12:01:28 AM
Tinted tails, woop woop.

EuroKid65
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 01:10:15 AM
e46 sekshun in a nutshell

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx157/StratusGrey650i/herrafrush.jpg

BosnianM3
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 01:37:33 AM

sleeks
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 02:14:40 AM
quoted for truth! +1

you are an idiot for tinting your front windshield

M3Dom
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 02:16:45 AM
Go 5% all the way around. When I got my benz done at 35% this guy got 5% all away around. I laughed my arse off when he backed into a trash bin cause he couldn't see nada. So black it out bro and post the pics.

M3Dom
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 02:19:32 AM
I guess it's just time to accept that the once amazing E46 M3 has become a clown car.

Jus going to quote this.

EuroKid65
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 02:53:46 AM
http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/appearance-48/official-window-tint-thread-225214/

EDIT:

LOLOLOLOLOL

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/appearance-48/0%25-tint-w-35%25-windshield-%2Apics%2A-223991/

JoaiM3
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 02:55:09 AM

What is that.. 0.00001% tint?! :jawdrop:

EuroKid65
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 03:00:05 AM
Quote from cobaltss.net

just added a layer of 5% to my front windows that were already tinted...2 layers of 5% in the back

EuroKid65
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 03:06:33 AM
So much win here.

you do understand that there is no such thing as 0% tint..... 0% tint is painting your windows black.

yes 0% would be completely black but put a tint meter over my front windows and it reads 0%...

tbaker474
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 03:38:11 AM

:laughhard:

halik
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 04:51:19 AM
Limo tint all around, that way you won't get any glare or light in. Keeps the interior nice and comfy and doesn't impact visibility in any way

http://www.tamor.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17196&stc=1&d=1269279193

StokedM3
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 06:24:36 AM
wtf?, I was unaware that window tint caused one to be drunk

Well to be fair... I don't think any sober man would agree that taking 65% of the available light away from a driver would be a good idea.

xyd
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 06:57:32 AM
I got 18% on all my windows I have a prescription saying I can have dark tint but is 35 on the windshield extremely noticeable? Would it prevent me from seeing at night? I am running 6000k headlights so ya that may make it harder l. What do you all think? And would it look good? Does anyone have any pics?

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/3381/mogn.jpg

flow350
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 12:22:04 PM
I have some pretty light tints on my car. I don't know exactly how dark they are since the previous owner did them - however, my rear windows match the 30% my cousin's car has, and my front windows are lighter (I would guess 40%). Windshield is clear. Occasionally I do have trouble seeing out the side windows - there are times when I've had to roll down the windows just so I can see where I was trying to turn. I cannot imagine driving with my windshield tinted to that extent. Admittedly I drive a lot of roads where there are no sources of light whatsoever.

FWIW, I tend to have better night vision than most.

If there are "no sources of light whatsoever," then it would not matter if your car had any tint on the windows. Obviously you do not have better night vision...

On my Tahoe I had 5% on the sides and 35% on the windshield. Night driving, rain, dusk, dawn, or any situation that limits visibility made it very hard to see with tint on the windshield.

It does not matter how bright your headlights are the tint will reduce your ability to see and is not a good idea. If you are concerned about your eyes then get a good pair of sunglasses. If you are concerned about heat then get a good sunshade.

I am currently running 15% on the sides and back of the M and it is plenty to keep the car cooler and help with the sun midday.

So by your logic, you only need to see clearly out the windshield. All the other windows are okay to tint and not important to see out of? After all, this thread has taught me that one is not able to see out of tinted windows...

It DOES hinder night vision, your eyes are picking up less light through tint...Period.

Tire stretching is way worse--no contest. Okay, so window tint "hinders night vision," but does it hinder night vision enough to be unsafe?

My car is quite clean and simple. No GTR hoods or roof spoilers here. Thanks though...

quoted for truth! +1

:roll:

Well to be fair... I don't think any sober man would agree that taking 65% of the available light away from a driver would be a good idea.

:drums:

dr_shoxer
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 12:22:27 PM
I have 50% tint on my front windshield. You can't notice it during the day, and it isn't dark enough to cause visibility problems at night.

JoaiM3
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 12:24:39 PM
I have 50% tint on my front windshield. You can't notice it during the day, and it isn't dark enough to cause visibility problems at night.

50% tint I agree with you. However, 35% tint is another story.

Regardless, applying tint to front windshield is illegal because it doesn't allow it to collapse/shatter during impact? That's what my tint guy told me, not sure how much truth it holds.

flow350
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 12:46:28 PM

Regardless, applying tint to front windshield is illegal because it doesn't allow it to collapse/shatter during impact? That's what my tint guy told me, not sure how much truth it holds.

To be honest, I am not sure if my front is 50% or 35%. I do know that it is not enough to cause problems while driving at night.

There is already a film in the front winshield to prevent the windshield from shattering during an impact. Not sure where your tint guy gets his information, or why you would ever want the windshield to callapse or shatter during any impact.

1TEXM3
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 12:49:15 PM
in many states, the law prohibits any person from driving any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield

barry d.
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 01:17:59 PM
You have been watching a few too many Chuck Norris movies. Turns out, you can't kick through the windshield. So, tint will have no impact on that.
Bad idea. It's a pure show car and hardly ever driven on the street... sure go for dark windshield tint. Everyday driver that you drive in rain, dark, etc... absolutely not. I have 35% on all my windows and I could never imagine having to look through the windshield with that tint on.
I love that the very first reply from a guy about what someone should "absolutely not" do in terms of visibility, comes from a guy with his head light lenses tinted dark as hell. Yeah, you're a good source for info. Of course you wouldn't be able to see.

I have put 40% (really, 38) on the windshield of my last 5 cars with dark tint on the rest of the windows and haven't had problems seeing out of the front windshield yet. If I can see to back up just fine late in the evening through the 20% back window without an added light source, I'm pretty sure at night, the badass projector lights that are on the M3 are more than enough light source for me to see through the tinted windshield and not be "unsafe". I love how most of the people shooting it down contradict yourselves AND haven't tried driving with a tinted windshield. Hell, our first expert was the guy that tinted the actual headlight lenses...that's great for night driving. Wow.

Defuse
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 02:08:56 PM
So by your logic, you only need to see clearly out the windshield. All the other windows are okay to tint and not important to see out of? After all, this thread has taught me that one is not able to see out of tinted windows...

Point me to where I said you can not see out of tinted windows. Also I dunno how you drive but when I drive 95% of my attention is generally focused on what is in front of me. That being said I want that attention to not be hindered by things such as window tint.

Do I give a damn that I can't see what kind of bug the dude behind me hit because of my tint? No

Do I give a damn that I can't see that pothole that I am about to hit because I tinted my windshield and if I hadn't I could have avoided it? Yes

Defuse
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 02:12:46 PM

It will still shatter but the tint keeps the glass in one overall piece that could cause more damage than thousands of smaller pieces of glass that would otherwise fall off around you instead of surrounding you.

cosmos///m3
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 02:17:04 PM
Wow... I think alot of you guys are getting really butt hurt over nothing. Its personal preference. If you have tint on the front windshield then great good for you, if you do not have window tint on your front windshield great for you. If you are complaining and your a$$ hurts, yet have never even rode in yet alone driven a car with tint on the front windshield well get the hell over yourself and find another thread to complain in. :D

...with all that said.. I do agree 35% is a little dark on the front... go with 50% :shifty:

/Thread

egk2
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 02:18:31 PM
Point me to where I said you can not see out of tinted windows. Also I dunno how you drive but when I drive 95% of my attention is generally focused on what is in front of me. That being said I want that attention to not be hindered by things such as window tint.

Do I give a damn that I can't see what kind of bug the dude behind me hit because of my tint? No

Do I give a damn that I can't see that pothole that I am about to hit because I tinted my windshield and if I hadn't I could have avoided it? Yes

So I can't see potholes because my windshield is tinted a conservative 35%, lol. You're funny...

barry d.
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 02:45:06 PM
It will still shatter but the tint keeps the glass in one overall piece that could cause more damage than thousands of smaller pieces of glass that would otherwise fall off around you instead of surrounding you.
lol no. That's not at all what happens to a windshield. I thought everyone knew what a windshield consisted of, especially car enthusiasts! I've never had anyone sit down and explain it, I just have seen enough broken ones to understand and figured others are the same. You guys act like it's made the same as a side window lol. Wow. Windshields don't shatter into thousands of pieces lol, or even hundreds of pieces. Can something come through them? Sure, with the right circumstances, but even then, they don't shatter.
Again, quit watching Chuck Norris jump kick someone through the windshield. That's not really how the glass up front works. A windshield is made of laminated safety glass. It's an automotive standard for auto manufacturers required by the government. This is what makes them spider web in tons of directions when a baseball hits them...instead of shattering the glass. Tinting a windshield won't alter anything in that regard...

egk2
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 02:50:30 PM
/\ so a tinted windshield is essentially safer in frontal impacts or if an object were to strike the glass...:woohoo::woohoo:

kmfurdm
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 03:01:47 PM
/\ so a tinted windshield is essentially safer in frontal impacts or if an object were to strike the glass...:woohoo::woohoo:

Good for that pedestrian, dog, or deer you take out because they "came out of nowhere". :parrot:

flow350
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 03:09:37 PM
Point me to where I said you can not see out of tinted windows.

This is the general consensus of a mojority of the responses in this thread--not something you specifically said...

Also I dunno how you drive but when I drive 95% of my attention is generally focused on what is in front of me. That being said I want that attention to not be hindered by things such as window tint.

95% eh? So that's what it takes for window tint to be insginicant? if you only look out a window 5% of the time, it is acceptable to tint?

:laughhard:

Again, there is already a film inside a windshield to prevent it from shattering and showering the vehicle occupants with pieces of glass. With a great enough impact, the windshield will crack, but it does not go everywhere. Since winshields are also tempered, they will crack into many tiny pieces--not shards of glass. In fact, all the windows on a car are tempered; this is why they break into many pieces the are (for all intesive purposes) uniform--not swords of death like when you break a plane of glass on a house (although new construction, double pane windows are also tempered in new construction; so think of breaking a window when you were a kid). The reason the side and rear window shatters and goes everywhere is because there is not film in the glass--not so with windshields.

flow350
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 03:15:32 PM
Good for that pedestrian, dog, or deer you take out because they "came out of nowhere". :parrot:

:rofl3:

blackmist27
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 05:14:24 PM
id say if you are going to tint the windshield, do 50%

zerotosixty
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 05:56:45 PM
:laughhard: :rofl3: @ this fred

M'Slinger
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 05:59:32 PM
ITT: Heavyflow350.

tenfifteen
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 06:13:26 PM
ITT: Intesive purposes

flow350
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 06:35:27 PM
ITT: Heavyflow350.

:shifty: hahaha

bstone
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 07:05:45 PM
Don't listen to these guys I have had it on all of my cars and you can barely even notice it. Trust me it still gets the job done while looking good IMO. And every time I have ever been pulled over a cop has never even noticed it

This.

I have had my front windshield tinted @ 35% on every BMW I have ever owned and it sets the car off perfect. Is it dark at night? Yes. But the road and all other things are still very visible to where I can drive comfortably.

I went 20% all around and then 35% on the whole front shield. I have had tint tickets in other cars before but not on my BMW for some reason, prob just luck. For the record, I am not Naive to thinking I wont ever get a ticket, it just comes with the territory when you decide you want to do it.

Here is my e39 M5:

LALaw
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 07:16:16 PM
So I can't see potholes because my windshield is tinted a conservative 35%, lol. You're funny...

And by conservative you mean the maximum legal limit in most states for window tint, putting aside the issue that tinting the front windshield is illegal everywhere

Porschetech
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 07:35:04 PM
easy solution :clap:

http://hotproducts.manufacturer.com/cimages/buyLeads/www.alibaba.com/1228/p/Welding_Mask.jpg

Ben Z.
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 08:21:01 PM
ITT: Intesive purposes

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

GodfatherM3
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 08:26:17 PM
I have 20% tint on all my windows & had 50% on the windshield. Appearance looks amazing, however at night and in the rain it is almost impossible to see. Not only that, cops are going to harass you like no other. I also have a doctors note saying I can have tinted windows, but there is no excuse for windshield tint. Like others have said, if it is purely a show car and rarely driven then go for it. Otherwise, I would not get it tinted. More trouble than it is worth.

silvr04M3
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 09:21:01 PM
Re: 35% tint on windshield? Good or bad idea?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This.

I have had my front windshield tinted @ 35% on every BMW I have ever owned and it sets the car off perfect. Is it dark at night? Yes. But the road and all other things are still very visible to where I can drive comfortably.

I went 20% all around and then 35% on the whole front shield. I have had tint tickets in other cars before but not on my BMW for some reason, prob just luck. For the record, I am not Naive to thinking I wont ever get a ticket, it just comes with the territory when you decide you want to do it.

Here is my e39 M5:

This doesn't look like a clown car to me.. :shifty:

silvr04M3
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 09:22:02 PM
Wow... I think alot of you guys are getting really butt hurt over nothing. Its personal preference. If you have tint on the front windshield then great good for you, if you do not have window tint on your front windshield great for you. If you are complaining and your a$$ hurts, yet have never even rode in yet alone driven a car with tint on the front windshield well get the hell over yourself and find another thread to complain in. :D
...with all that said.. I do agree 35% is a little dark on the front... go with 50% :shifty:

/Thread

^^^THIS

lostnuke
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 09:38:56 PM
the stigma associated with a tinted windshield is propagated by those who have never had it done. 35% on the windshield is not that big of a deal. i have had it done before. no problems. daytime, nightime, rain, or shine... the only drawback would be the ticket. and that is only likely if you are pulled over for something else and the cop decides to throw the book at you. if you have a doctors excuse for tinted windows (which isnt hard to get) then there are absolutely no worries. but to each his own.

LALaw
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 10:11:13 PM
Docs must be pretty stupid these days, what with ordering 20% windshield tint instead of sunglasses and all

Mr.B///MW
Wed, Jun-29-2011, 10:31:02 PM
Docs must be pretty stupid these days, what with ordering 20% windshield tint instead of sunglasses and all

Didn't you read about the recent investments of the window tinting industries made by optometrists?

NightmarE46
Thu, Jun-30-2011, 02:06:45 AM
I ended up getting 55 and from the inside just had a light shade but on the outside it makes the windshield have a black hade to it so it looks as if it's darker than 55 because of my black interior and 18 on the sides looks amazing

StokedM3
Thu, Jun-30-2011, 03:46:29 AM
the stigma associated with a tinted windshield is propagated by those who have never had it done. 35% on the windshield is not that big of a deal. i have had it done before. no problems. daytime, nightime, rain, or shine... the only drawback would be the ticket.

I suppose the ticket is the only drawback :facepalm:

My side windows are tinted... I can see better out the front, which is NOT tinted.

I own a pair of sunglasses... I can see better at night without them.

Jeezus why is this even a discussion?

ITT: rediculousness

Will that stoke the fire a little longer? This thread is awesomely entertaining :thumbsdown:

Spectre
Thu, Jun-30-2011, 04:57:24 AM

Straight up. If you ever need a dose of reason, venture into M3F! :D

E46M3BMW
Thu, Jun-30-2011, 05:16:55 AM
god said it's ok to put tint on the windshield.

Rendezvous
Thu, Jun-30-2011, 06:03:19 AM
Not a good idea:goodluck:

gtb5
Thu, Jun-30-2011, 06:27:25 AM
I have never tinted windshield and never will, any slight blemish you will see all the time.

terraphantm
Thu, Jun-30-2011, 08:19:22 AM

I would never tint my windshield... but some of the medication I'm on makes my *skin* sensitive to light (and one of the lesser effects of the actual disease I'm treating is making my skin sensitive to light, so it's kind of a double whammy). Sunglasses won't do **** for my skin. Now I personally have a dark complexion, so I can get away with "abusing" my skin with the light moreso than white people with the same disease/medication.

It's a moot point for me anyway since PA doesn't allow tints even with a medical excuse. The only thing a medical excuse allows over here is an optically clear UV-blocking film....

E36_M
Thu, Jun-30-2011, 09:23:59 AM
ive got 2% all around

get on my level

Rendezvous
Thu, Jun-30-2011, 09:28:49 AM
ive got 2% all around

get on my level

lol no way 2%!!

TxMtrey
Thu, Jun-30-2011, 02:58:14 PM
this thread is great.

Short story. It was a cold, damp, autumn morning. The sun, just beginning to show itself to the central US, was beginning to light up the sky. I guess we could say it was dawn, around 5 or so in the morning. My dad was just leaving the house, heading to work in his pickup. This pickup had 35% tint on the side windows. We lived on the corner of a semi busy road and a neighborhood street. The main street was lit up by street lamps at this time. Just like any normal person, my dad looked left, then right, and then left again. Seeing that there were no oncoming cars, my dad proceeded to make his left hand turn onto the semi busy road, which at this hour, was not very busy at all. Unbeknownst to him, a high school kid, driving intoxicated at 10 or 15 over the 45mph speed limit, was barreling towards him, without his headlights on. My dad never saw him coming and was struck directly in the driver side door.... blah blah blah

With 35% tint, my dad didnt see the car coming that hit him. Yes the kid didnt have his lights on and was speeding.. but still, think if my dad was heading towards him head on with say 35% tint on the windshield, and the kid, possibly swerving all over the road after heading home from a night of partying.. could of ended worse i suppose.

i just think it'd be safer without 35% tint.. i guess everyone has their own opinion... i believe mine to be more logical, however.

egk2
Thu, Jun-30-2011, 03:21:25 PM
/\ hope your dad is ok.

So side tint is bad idea too:shifty:

RSM333
Thu, Jun-30-2011, 04:18:12 PM
/\ hope your dad is ok.

There's a reason why glass is transparent. The minute you think that tint is an improvement in respect to visibility, then your fooling yourself. With that, I'm gilty myself of having 35% all around EXCEPT the windshield. I for one drop my window even in the dead of winter to better view a potention T-bone scenario especially on blind intersections. Extra percaution is an understatement if your looking out of your windshield with 35% on it.

egk2
Thu, Jun-30-2011, 04:23:03 PM
There's a reason why glass is transparent. The minute you think that tint is an improvement in respect to visibility, then your fooling yourself. With that, I'm gilty myself of having 35% all around EXCEPT the windshield. I for one drop my window even in the dead of winter to better view a potention T-bone scenario especially on blind intersections. Extra percaution is an understatement if your looking out of your windshield with 35% on it.

I don't think anyone here is contesting that window tint improves visibility, I certainly am not. Most do it for looks and UV protection.

RSM333
Thu, Jun-30-2011, 05:09:13 PM
I don't think anyone here is contesting that window tint improves visibility, I certainly am not. Most do it for looks and UV protection.

Implication of some of the members here is that it helps with visibility. Maybe so when the sun is blaring down on you. Thing is it's not the case at night. Anyway I'm out...I won't contribute anymore as I want this thread to just disappear. Forever!

sebringjetta
Thu, Jun-30-2011, 05:40:59 PM
Spray paint all the windows.....that should take care of it

egk2
Thu, Jun-30-2011, 05:56:47 PM
Implication of some of the members here is that it helps with visibility. Maybe so when the sun is blaring down on you. Thing is it's not the case at night. Anyway I'm out...I won't contribute anymore as I want this thread to just disappear. Forever!

yes...

E36_M
Fri, Jul-01-2011, 04:12:56 AM

Since my windshield is 2% I had a custom fab done where I can fold it up at night so I can see better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxMtrey
Fri, Jul-01-2011, 10:14:41 AM
/\ hope your dad is ok.

yeah this was a while back, he is all good. The kids car went up under my dads truck. I was just saying 35% is still dark at times so I would not want it on my windshield.

and I always roll my windows down at night time since my sides are 20%... I do not agree with having the front windshield tinted but to each his own. I think it LOOKS awesome but would personally never do it.

zerotosixty
Fri, Jul-01-2011, 03:04:34 PM
http://i.imgur.com/BGBzi.jpg

terraphantm
Fri, Jul-01-2011, 03:18:28 PM
You guys should also keep in mind that the stock glass without any film is already about 70% VLT. 35% on top of that would bring it down to 25%. If they had tint films that were kinda like those transitions lenses, where they'll be dark in the sun and clear when there's no sun, I'd consider getting that. Otherwise no windshield tint for me.

NightmarE46
Fri, Jul-01-2011, 05:55:20 PM
I like that idea

lostnuke
Fri, Jul-01-2011, 06:36:17 PM
i like tinted windows all the way around so no one can see me eating donuts in the m3... meh

egk2
Fri, Jul-01-2011, 06:48:41 PM
If they had tint films that were kinda like those transitions lenses.

Hmmm...

Rated M3
Fri, Jul-01-2011, 06:48:59 PM
Can't believe someone is actually stupid enough to even ask this question!!!

LALaw
Fri, Jul-01-2011, 06:57:24 PM
I would never tint my windshield... but some of the medication I'm on makes my *skin* sensitive to light (and one of the lesser effects of the actual disease I'm treating is making my skin sensitive to light, so it's kind of a double whammy). Sunglasses won't do **** for my skin. Now I personally have a dark complexion, so I can get away with "abusing" my skin with the light moreso than white people with the same disease/medication.

It's a moot point for me anyway since PA doesn't allow tints even with a medical excuse. The only thing a medical excuse allows over here is an optically clear UV-blocking film....

I didn't think about that. How do you deal with the skin condition? Do you have to apply SPF75 sunscreen every day? other than someone in your condition, I don't see why anyone would ever need their front windshield tinted, unless they had a death wish. And there are much quicker ways to go if that's what they're looking for :carradine:

Can't believe someone is actually stupid enough to even ask this question!!!

It's the E46 section :rofl3:

lostnuke
Fri, Jul-01-2011, 07:18:21 PM
I didn't think about that. How do you deal with the skin condition? Do you have to apply SPF75 sunscreen every day? other than someone in your condition, I don't see why anyone would ever need their front windshield tinted, unless they had a death wish. And there are much quicker ways to go if that's what they're looking for :carradine:

i would prefer to be Dunn in another way...

ONEBADM311
Fri, Jul-01-2011, 10:11:04 PM
My front windshield is tinted in 35% as the rest of the car is, i never had a issue with the cops and it helps keep it cooler and the lights from oncoming traffic dose't hurt my eyes.. my 2 cents... look at my car in the sig you can hardly tell its tinted.. :parrot:

Never mind i can't upload the stupid picture......

SuperFrog
Fri, Jul-01-2011, 10:13:34 PM
If you cause an accident you're going to be boned to hell when the cop sees it an files it in the report. I can see bad things coming to you from your insurance company denying to pay because you were driving a street-illegal car (I'm sure there's some clause in your insurance that states you car must be street legal) and you'll probably get your ass sued by the people that you hit.

Enjoy!

ONEBADM311
Fri, Jul-01-2011, 10:16:06 PM
If you cause an accident you're going to be boned to hell when the cop sees it an files it in the report. I can see bad things coming to you from your insurance company denying to pay because you were driving a street-illegal car (I'm sure there's some clause in your insurance that states you car must be street legal) and you'll probably get your ass sued by the people that you hit.

Enjoy!

WAWAWEWA!!!!! "BORAT".......:jawdrop:

tenfifteen
Fri, Jul-01-2011, 11:20:07 PM

Enjoy!
And this.

Also LOLn at "protecting it from sun damage." They have this new invention you may not have seen before. :goodluck:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41xPVexAJSL.jpg

terraphantm
Fri, Jul-01-2011, 11:27:56 PM

Well I don't always take the precautions I'm supposed to... Usually nothing happens. Sometimes I get sunburned (back in the day when I wasn't on such medication, I was able to spend hours at the beach with no sunblock without having to worry about getting burned). I do avoid the sun more than I used to, and I do wear sunblock in more situations than I used to. Like I mentioned, I do have a darker complexion, so I can get away with more than someone of a lighter complexion who is on the same medication/has the same condition.

It's certainly not bad enough for me to consider tinting the windshield. Even if it were, I would prefer to just wear long sleeve shirts or something.

Porschetech
Fri, Jul-01-2011, 11:31:52 PM
wow...fread still going? so what did i miss today? still justifying tinted teh front screen? :facepalm:

SuperFrog
Fri, Jul-01-2011, 11:34:23 PM
wow...fread still going? so what did i miss today? still justifying tinted teh front screen? :facepalm:

Flat grey to match the frozen grey paint job.

HJB///SMG
Fri, Jul-01-2011, 11:39:41 PM
Jus going to quote this.

Wow speaking of clown cars what is that hideous blue thing in your sig. I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Saag
Sat, Jul-02-2011, 12:05:03 AM
Wow speaking of clown cars what is that hideous blue thing in your sig. I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Dom before you respond I want you to know what kind of person you will be responding to, not that the wheels aren't already a giveaway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV3sGPFIe5w

E36_M
Sat, Jul-02-2011, 12:29:42 AM
Dom before you respond I want you to know what kind of person you will be responding to, not that the wheels aren't already a giveaway

Wow. Everyone take my advice and don't click on this link. Waste of time unless you want to see a guy teabag another guy. (I'm sure a lot of you will still click after I just warned you)

zerotosixty
Sat, Jul-02-2011, 02:07:11 AM

Wow. Everyone take my advice and don't click on this link. Waste of time unless you want to see a guy teabag another guy. (I'm sure a lot of you will still click after I just warned you)

Saggy, stop freaking out the new guys

tenfifteen
Sat, Jul-02-2011, 03:36:47 AM
Yeah, those wheels = you've got good taste.

Rendezvous
Sat, Jul-02-2011, 03:44:24 AM
What happened to the E46 section:thumbsdown:

love67
Sun, Jul-03-2011, 01:59:11 AM
i don't think you can see on a dark street!

egk2
Sun, Jul-03-2011, 02:09:37 AM
unsubscribed...let this thread die

lostnuke
Sun, Jul-03-2011, 05:11:32 PM
unsubscribed...let this thread die

i dont think this has been resolved though...

E36_M
Mon, Jul-04-2011, 01:58:58 AM
Issue has not been resolveded, continue discussion.

EuroKid65
Mon, Jul-04-2011, 12:54:32 PM
http://www.themildredmittensmanufactory.co.uk/christmas%20guinea%20pigs%20matilda%20mabel%20mavi s%20santa%20hats.jpg

lostnuke
Wed, Jul-06-2011, 11:46:21 PM
i still think we could talk about this some more...

Mr.B///MW
Wed, Jul-06-2011, 11:49:57 PM
I would like to talk more about this, but you see, I tinted my monitors by 35% due to a Dr.s prescription, and I have a hard time reading dark text.

NicholsE46
Thu, Jul-07-2011, 01:08:50 AM
i daily drive mine with 35% tint on the whole windshield, and 3% on the side windows... side windows kinda hard to see out at night but windshield is fine !

zerotosixty
Thu, Jul-07-2011, 02:20:52 PM
i daily drive mine with 35% tint on the whole windshield, and 3% on the side windows... side windows kinda hard to see out at night but windshield is fine !

http://i.imgur.com/UGK6J.jpg

Mobbin_PCH
Thu, Jul-07-2011, 03:33:30 PM
Still haven't heard a reason for tinting your windshield besides, "it'd be hella dope yo"

lostnuke
Sat, Jul-09-2011, 07:01:37 AM
it'd be hella dope yo

halik
Sat, Jul-09-2011, 08:26:29 AM
I would like to talk more about this, but you see, I tinted my monitors by 35% due to a Dr.s prescription, and I have a hard time reading dark text.

http://www.2flashgames.com/2fgkjn134kjlh1cfn81vc34/flash/f-i-lold-7020.jpg

EuroKid65
Sat, Jul-09-2011, 11:10:11 AM
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100430225525/uncyclopedia/images/2/25/Bill_O%27Reilly_u_mad.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_iLFbyIT_RiI/SdGAvDGRsXI/AAAAAAAAU1g/B4ADLKGGmVs/s400/Bill-O-Reilly01.jpg

http://www.maniacworld.com/Bill-O-Reilly-Freaks-Out.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_rsf6hJ8BRtE/SyKqPxKGHVI/AAAAAAAAOkE/VZwVob9jqKU/s400/oreilly-mad.jpg

http://www.lx470.ru/img/00/00f/Stop_Calling_Bill_O_Reilly_A_Homo.jpg

http://static8.businessinsider.com/image/4d48e07f49e2ae326a040000/oreilly-yelling.png

natty99
Sat, Jul-09-2011, 05:47:07 PM
dumbasses are running rampant on this forum...

sebringjetta
Sun, Jul-10-2011, 02:45:12 AM
:rofl3:dumbasses are running rampant on this forum...

HJB///SMG
Sun, Jul-10-2011, 04:31:42 AM

Yeah Dom, this three year old video should help you feel better about your car color choice, and choice of M3Forum friends too.
Saag, I get compliments on my wheels daily. How come no pics of your car?

Yeah, those wheels = you've got good taste.

Shouldn't you be on some Porsche forums somewhere?

EuroTrash727
Sun, Jul-10-2011, 09:09:19 AM
i have 15% on my windows & 50% on my windshield... imo anything darker than 50% will effect your visibility @ night.

EuroKid65
Sun, Jul-10-2011, 10:46:07 AM
http://data.whicdn.com/images/5902242/tumblr_lceykuUMUh1qzvs5yo1_500_large.jpg?129372833 5

lostnuke
Mon, Jul-18-2011, 02:13:09 AM
i have 15% on my windows & 50% on my windshield... imo anything darker than 50% will effect your visibility @ night.

how can u honestly say this considering everyone's opinion on the matter...

williemandowa
Mon, Jul-18-2011, 02:30:50 AM
not a good idea it could prohibit your vision

Dan4hockey99
Mon, Jul-18-2011, 08:02:04 AM
Might as well put on those old-lady UV sunglasses at night while driving

cash7c3
Mon, Jul-18-2011, 08:09:39 AM
:facepalm:

LALaw
Mon, Jul-18-2011, 03:31:34 PM
Still haven't heard a reason for tinting your windshield besides, "it'd be hella dope yo"

But what if the guy has a doctor's prescription?

Mobbin_PCH
Mon, Jul-18-2011, 05:58:35 PM
Yeah Dom, this three year old video should help you feel better about your car color choice, and choice of M3Forum friends too.
Saag, I get compliments on my wheels daily. How come no pics of your car?

Saag has stripes, and therefore receives exponentially more compliments than anyone on this forum. If he were to post pics even asupete would be unable to resist the desire to compliment him.

lostnuke
Sat, Aug-06-2011, 08:28:58 AM
But what if the guy has a doctor's prescription?

i can get you one if you really need one. just send me your banking information, social security number and pin numbers.

oh and i will need poop pics also.

Jon K.
Sat, Aug-06-2011, 04:45:45 PM
well i was thinking about doing that till i got pulled over every other night by cops who thought the tint on my side windows was illegal. had arguing matches with them every time that the tint on my car was far from illegal as its 40% charcoal black and that it looked darker because its a black car with blacked out interior lol.

loved the look on their faces though when they put that lil meter on my windows and realized they were wrong. ever since those episodes though i think im just gonna do a dark strip across the top.

FreshPrinceSTL
Sat, Aug-06-2011, 04:55:37 PM
on my M right now I have 35% all the way around. its still to light for my taste. I plan on getting it re-tinted. 5% on the very back window and 15% on the sides, and im probably going to do a clear UV tint on my front windshield.

on my previous car (s2000) I had 5% on all the windows and the 35% on the front windshield. and yea it looked bada$$. but visibility was horrible at night/bad weather.

lostnuke
Thu, Aug-11-2011, 01:37:22 PM
i think im just gonna do a dark strip across the top.

Otherwise known as the ghetto strip.

BAMF'd Tbolt w/ tapatalk

sebringjetta
Thu, Aug-11-2011, 03:21:28 PM
Otherwise known as the ghetto strip.

BAMF'd Tbolt w/ tapatalk

I bet it would look good w/ a set of dtm tips....

lostnuke
Fri, Aug-12-2011, 12:09:38 PM
Pimp my ride.

BAMF'd Tbolt w/ tapatalk

LALaw
Fri, Aug-12-2011, 10:25:00 PM
i can get you one if you really need one. just send me your banking information, social security number and pin numbers.

oh and i will need poop pics also.

:laughhard::laughhard::laughhard:

on my M right now I have 35% all the way around. its still to light for my taste. I plan on getting it re-tinted. 5% on the very back window and 15% on the sides, and im probably going to do a clear UV tint on my front windshield.

on my previous car (s2000) I had 5% on all the windows and the 35% on the front windshield. and yea it looked bada$$. but visibility was horrible at night/bad weather.

I think you're right Lisa. I hope the OP takes your advice and experience to heart. We need more female forum members such as yourself to contribute on a more regular basis. Perhaps that would help diminish the asshattery.

lostnuke
Sun, Aug-14-2011, 11:46:21 PM
to the top brah

enigmaticdream
Mon, Aug-15-2011, 01:36:50 AM
What's tint? No tint = lesser chance of missing cars in your blind spot...

zerotosixty
Mon, Aug-15-2011, 02:02:43 AM
to the top brah

oh god! why did you do that! This fread wont go away!

AshkonB
Mon, Aug-15-2011, 07:25:45 AM
I had a S2000 with 5% side windows, 20% windows, I liked it and it was not too hard to drive since I always had the top down. But on the M now I have the same tint again, 5% all around and 20% windshield, the car looks nice but in reality, driving is terrible at night. Going to remove the tint most likely and put a lighter shade. Heres some Pics

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h240/ashkonb/c30b9cb9.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h240/ashkonb/f68b3250.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h240/ashkonb/1595a282.jpg

OldFanatic
Mon, Aug-15-2011, 08:02:10 AM
^ yikes that's dark for a front window. i'd be pulled over on a weekly basis here in SoCal

lostnuke
Sun, Aug-28-2011, 12:51:27 PM
its not that dark.

if he wears prescription sunglasses at night in the rain, it would be boss.

sebringjetta
Sun, Aug-28-2011, 08:42:21 PM
^^^^good call!!!!

Msane
Mon, Aug-29-2011, 09:27:49 AM
I have 35% all around including the front windshield, car came like that. I dont notice it much, maby cuz my interior is grey it looks light? But i would rather have 50% front.

Goalcrease
Mon, Aug-29-2011, 12:27:54 PM
This thread is full of :facepalm:

LALaw
Mon, Aug-29-2011, 04:11:08 PM
Do you wear sunglasses on top of your 35% windshield?

sebringjetta
Mon, Aug-29-2011, 06:07:19 PM

Yes and i wear my sunglasses at night....

zerotosixty
Mon, Aug-29-2011, 06:42:56 PM

...so I can so I can Keep track of the visions in my eyes...

E46M3BMW
Mon, Aug-29-2011, 08:52:50 PM
Just spray paint the windows black, install cameras, then drive by looking at your nav screen.

carbon//M3
Mon, Aug-29-2011, 08:55:55 PM
bad idea.

lostnuke
Thu, Sep-01-2011, 07:32:19 AM

that seems like it would be hard to drive, much less see where you were going. :jawdrop:

LALaw
Thu, Sep-01-2011, 05:21:32 PM
that seems like it would be hard to drive, much less see where you were going. :jawdrop:

Agreed, but it seems like OP might do something like that

lostnuke
Tue, Sep-13-2011, 03:39:22 AM
Agreed, but it seems like OP might do something like that

i will send a pm and find out...

natty99
Tue, Sep-13-2011, 04:04:49 AM
why won't this thread die...

///M3Turk
Tue, Sep-13-2011, 06:50:03 AM
i have 35 all around and 50 on the windshield. It's perfect. Idk about %35 tho

StokedM3
Tue, Sep-13-2011, 07:13:30 AM
I have 5% all around and looks dope yo! Black as night!! Makes it hard to see during the day and impossible at night, but I bought me a pair of night vision goggles so it's all good. Ladies love the look, 1st the tint, then I put on the goggles and put the pedal to the floor and it's over. DONE SON!

NightmarE46
Tue, Sep-13-2011, 09:19:54 AM
Everyone rate this thread with 5 stars!

RSM333
Tue, Sep-13-2011, 12:52:24 PM
Saw this inspirational thread the other day. What do you guys think after I'm done wrapping my entire interior with carbon fiber, spring a little more and do up my windows with it? Of course I have to fix my sunshade tabs that broke that way my passenger can navigate us through the sunroof. I know...breakin ground ova herr for all yall haters.

AIF...

stash1
Tue, Sep-13-2011, 05:49:17 PM

...so I can so I can Keep track of the visions in my eyes...

I have a suspicion that the greater majority of the forum members might be a little young for a Corey Hart reference, but anyway...don't masquerade with the guy in shades (and the tinted windshield) oh no...

ONEBADM311
Wed, Sep-14-2011, 11:35:03 PM
I just had my front windshield done today with 50% and i love it as i had 70 before i had to change my windshield due to a 18 wheeler throwing rocks at it. I'm very happy and pleased with the results. :thumbsup2:

lostnuke
Mon, Sep-19-2011, 08:04:14 PM
This thread should be stickied.

BAMF'd Tbolt w/ tapatalk

e.noble
Mon, Sep-19-2011, 08:28:28 PM
50% is where its at on the wind shield, i wouldnt go any darker

LALaw
Mon, Sep-19-2011, 08:53:35 PM
I'm hoping the OP will take pics of his newly tinted front windshield

at night

while driving

zerotosixty
Tue, Sep-20-2011, 03:26:45 AM
This thread... I just... how? How is it still alive?

sebringjetta
Tue, Sep-20-2011, 04:27:43 AM
:lolhit::lolhit::lolhit::lolhit::lolhit::rofl3::ro fl3::rofl3::rofl3:This thread... I just... how? How is it still alive?

bimmerfan08
Tue, Sep-20-2011, 04:47:35 AM
lol at the comments

natty99
Tue, Sep-20-2011, 05:46:50 AM
http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww59/ckn22/y-u-no-let-thread-die.jpg

ROASTM
Sun, Jun-23-2013, 07:15:47 PM
Searching threads on window tints as I'm looking to have my car re-tinted - tint from PO is semi-peeling in some places and scratched in many, figured I was due for something new.

Currently it's got 35% all around (I THINK)... and I'm debating what % to go on my JB / Black M3.

Part of me wants 20% all around, with none on windshield... but I feel that that will probably attract unwanted attention from the local police.

Other option is ... 35% all around, with perhaps 50% on the windshield?
OR, 35% on side windows, 20% on rear window, and 50% on the windshield?

OR just 35% all around, with nothing on the windshield.

I skimmed most of this "ridiculous" thread, and there was some good and some bad information... but anyone have any pictures with the above mentioned options? Can anyone sway me one way or another?

Thanks in advance...

Looks like this thread may never completely die...

HARD10
Sun, Jun-23-2013, 08:31:18 PM
Looks like this thread may never completely die...

....not if you bring it back to life. But since you did already, I'll chime in.

I for one like tint... I mean tint done right. Tint should flow from front to back without changing too much of the percentages. IMO, no more than 2 if you want the rear glass darker but I don't think thy really adds to the tint job.

So the things to consider. State laws and if you care to follow them. Find a good installer that has experience in BMW dot matrix. Then percentages. I went with Wincos 30 sides and back tint on my AW. Plenty dark for me, reduces inside temps and easy to see thru day or night. I'll be going back to Lee Berbs in Hillsborough NJ for my front windshield in the Spring. That will be Wincos 60 which I believe lets in 68%. The 30 lets in 34% I think.

Also keep in mind, the old tint from the PO is faded to some extent so don't use that as a basis for your percentage decision. A good installer will also semi-remove your door trim do a cleaner job. Here are some pictures of my car being done...
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=420990&page=2

karatekid
Mon, Jun-24-2013, 04:36:39 AM
wear sunglasses?

djjvr
Mon, Jun-24-2013, 04:47:59 AM
wear sunglasses?

Why wouldn't one just do this? It's a cheap solution, gives you your tint for your eyes, and will keep visibility the same at night since you can just take them off. :jawdrop:

ranyjan
Mon, Jun-24-2013, 08:14:30 AM

Loooooollllll ,

50% mac homies im going to re tint my car, its only 75% on windows :[