Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Zaino Tips and Tricks

Beowoulf
Wed, Jul-07-2004, 04:20:23 AM
This information was posted on autopia.org and I hope the author doesn't mind. I have pinned this due to multiple requests.

Nick’s unsolicited Zaino Tips & Tricks

Part One

Disclaimer: I am not a professional detailer nor an expert on paint care. I’m just a charter member of the ARZOA who has a little experience with Zaino, and one of my cars is Jet Black and shows all of my mistakes!

Intro to Zaino:
The Zaino system is made up of a group of synthetic sealant products which replace carnauba as a protectant for your paint. As a general rule the synthetic sealants have longer durability, higher reflectivity, and less depth than carnauba. The Zaino polymers form a cross-linked bond with the underlying surface and this provides excellent durability.

Zaino is more reflective, has more clarity, and gives a harder surface than the other synthetics, but it also does very little to hide underlying paint defects and is very susceptible to marring.

Many detailers seem to be afraid of using Zaino … it’s too complicated, it’s too expensive, it’s too difficult to apply/buff, it’s prone to smearing, it can’t be topped with carnauba, etc. After you have read this and applied a coat or two of Zaino you’ll find that none of these worries are justified!

Paint preparation:
Due to Zaino’s outstanding clarity and it’s lack of oils, fillers, or waxes it will not hide any underlying paint defect. In fact, Zaino will in many cases make them more noticeable! First, and most importantly, properly and thoroughly prepare your paint. Do a dish detergent wash, then a claying, and follow with whatever polishing is needed to remove (not fill) any micro-marring. Finish with a very mild cleaner/polish to obtain the most reflective surface possible. It is desirable, but not necessary, to use a random orbital buffer for the polishing phase. I recommend P21S GEPC, S100 SEC, or Platinum UPP-C. All of these products leave oils on the paint, and the polymers in Zaino will not bond to the paint properly if you do not remove the oils. Do a very careful wash (you don’t want to add any micro-marring to your carefully prepared paint) with Z-7 and carefully dry. Now you’re ready for the Zaino treatment!

A few facts that you should know before starting with Zaino:
Unlike carnauba, Zaino can be applied in direct sunlight. The only problem that I’ve encountered doing it in the sun is that the Z-6 Gloss Enhancer (Zaino’s quick detailer) dries very quickly, so you need to work on smaller areas. If it does dry just apply a little more Z-6 and the stains will come right off with little effort.

Z-1 Polish Lok and ZFX Accelerator perform similar tasks, and one or the other must be used when applying Zaino the first time. They prepare the underlying surface for molecular cross-linking (bonding) with Zaino’s polymers. Since Z-1 is applied first and then topped by Z-2 or Z-5 it takes a little longer to dry than when using ZFX which is mixed with the Z-2 or Z-5. ZFX has the added benefit of greatly reducing the curing (hardening) time, and it also allows you to apply up to three back-to-back layers of Zaino instead of waiting 24 hours before adding another layer.

It is not necessary to use Z-1 or ZFX every time that you apply Zaino. Mr. Z says to use it the first time and every tenth coat thereafter. I use it for the first 3-4 coats and then every fourth or fifth coat. Although I recommend using ZFX primarily, Z-1 is very handy to have when you are doing a spot repair since it’s very difficult to mix a tiny amount of Z-2 or Z-5 and ZFX.

Drying time (bonding) depends on temperature, humidity, and the thickness of your application. On a hot and dry day Zaino can be ready in under ten minutes. On a cold and humid day, or if you didn’t do a thin enough application, it may take as long as an hour or more. In very cold weather you can wait overnight between product application and buffing. I’ve waited as long as 36 hours and had no problems.

Do not wipe of the residue until it can pass the “finger test” or you will be wiping off product that has not yet bonded to the paint. The finger test: make sure that your finger is clean, dry, and oil free. Wipe a one inch long area with your finger. If the product has properly bonded your finger will leave a clean and shiny line. If there is any smudging or smearing, then it’s not ready and you’ll have to wait longer. The cause of an excessively long wait time is most likely a too thick application of the product.

Micro-marring is a problem with polymer sealants; use only a light pressure when applying and buffing! Preferably use microfiber applicators and buffing cloths. Check them frequently for debris pickup! If you didn’t apply an even and thin layer, then you may have trouble wiping it off in some spots. Don’t rub harder! Spritz the problem area with distilled water, not Z-6, and continue wiping gently. It’s not necessary to buff off each and every slightly hazy spot, the finish coat of Z-6 will take care of that.

Zaino is so clear that you can add many layers without any yellowing or other color distortion. I know one person that had 70+ layers before deciding to experiment with other systems. I have had as many as 30+ on my roadster. Each coat added even more reflectivity and a very little depth, but with diminishing reflectivity returns after 6-8 layers. Be cautious; Zaino is addictive!

Contrary to their names, Z-1, Z-2, Z-3, and Z-5 contain no abrasives. They do not polish!

Many people think that Z-2 works best on light colored cars and Z-5 on dark colors. Others think that alternating layers of each product is better. On my black paint I think that a couple of layers of Z-5 topped with a layer of Z-2 gives the best results.

Z-5 takes many layers (maybe 6-8 or more) to hide even the smallest micro-marring.

Zaino can successfully be topped with a good quality carnauba paste to add depth without losing reflectivity. Use very thin layers of the carnauba to preserve the reflectivity. More layers, more depth! You cannot successfully top the carnauba with Zaino as it will not bond! If you want to add more Zaino, then all that needs to me done is to do a dish detergent wash to remove the wax. This will not remove the Zaino. Even a mild polish/cleaner or a QD with alcohol will damage and maybe remove the Zaino. Use Z-6 only.

There seems to be a synergistic effect between the Zaino paint care products. I strongly suggest that you wash with Z-7 Car Wash and use Z-6 as your quick detailer.

Sal Zaino is very friendly and helpful, and he prefers to talk on the phone instead of via email. His number is 732-883-8800.

In part two of Nick’s unsolicited Zaino Tips & Tricks we’ll take a look at the step-by-step procedure.

Beowoulf
Wed, Jul-07-2004, 04:21:00 AM
Nick’s unsolicited Zaino Tips & Tricks

Part Two

Before applying your first layer of Zaino it is very important that you properly and thoroughly prepare your paint. Do a dish detergent wash, then a claying, and follow with whatever polishing is needed to remove, not fill, any micro-marring. Finish with a very mild cleaner/polish to obtain the most reflective surface possible. It is desirable, but not necessary, to use a random orbital buffer for the polishing phase. I recommend P21S GEPC, S100 SEC, or Platinum UPP-C. All of these products leave oils on the paint, and the polymers in Zaino will not bond to the paint properly if you do not remove the oils. Do a very careful wash with Z-7 and carefully dry. If you are applying Zaino on top of previous coats of Zaino, then only the Z-7 wash and dry are needed. Now you’re ready for the Zaino treatment!

Step by Step:
Put one ounce of Z-5 (or Z-2) in a two ounce mixing bottle (several come with your ZFX) and add 4 drops of ZFX. This is enough Z-5/ZFX for two coats on a standard size car. Shake vigorously for 90 seconds. Wait for five minutes and shake the Z-5/ZFX again for 30 seconds.

Lightly spray your applicator with Z-6 before applying the sealant. It lets you get a thinner and more even coat, which in turn makes buffing require less pressure. Remoisten the applicator after each two or three areas as needed.

Especially important: Don’t put the Zaino on the applicator in a small circle as Mr. Z recommends on the Zaino web site, draw a “Z” on the applicator with the Zaino. This is even more important if you’re doing a Z3, Z4, Z8, Z28, or a Nissan Z-car (or if you’re related to Zorro)!

Instead of wiping the entire care with Z-6 before applying Zaino, wipe down each area (1/2 of the hood, a door, etc.) with Z-6 immediately before applying the sealant. It seems to give a slightly higher shine. Speculation: maybe the Z-6 loosens the cross-linking for a short while and aids in bonding.

Lightly spread the Zaino onto your paint very sparingly. Best results are obtained from a very thin and even coat! An excessively thick application wastes product and is difficult to remove. I first apply using a circular movement to ensure complete coverage, then follow with straight line wipes to achieve a thin and even application.

On light colored paint it should be so thin that it is hard to see in bright sunlight so you may want to work in the shade.

Check the applicator frequently for any debris that it may have picked up. You may find that there are some areas on your car that are hard to do using an applicator pad. I use a lightly dampened cotton ball and a small amount of Z-5/ZFX on these areas. After this do the “cotton ball” areas first since the product will likely be a little thicker and doing it first gives it more time to dry. If your application has been thin enough you will have used a little less than half of the product to apply one coat to the entire car. Do the entire car before wiping off the Zaino since it must be allowed to dry thoroughly to permit proper bonding.

Do not wipe of the residue until it can pass the finger test or you will be wiping off product that has not yet bonded. If you need to wait, then this is a good time to work on the interior, or the trunk, or the engine compartment. Do not wipe off the residue until the Zaino has bonded!

When it passes the finger test, wipe off the Z-5/ZFX using only light pressure. Shake out the buffing cloth very frequently and also visually check for debris pickup. I usually use two or three 16”x16” towels wiping off each coat of Z-5/ZFX. If you drop the towel, then stop using it. I prefer white microfiber towels since they make it easier to spot any debris.

If there is an area where you put on too much product, and it doesn’t wipe off easily, don’t start rubbing! Wipe lightly a little more and use a light spritz of distilled water if needed. It’s not necessary to buff off each and every hazy spot, the next coat of Zaino or the finish coat of Z-6 will take care of that.

When you are finished wiping of the residual carries do another application of Z-5/ZFX, again pre-wiping each area with Z-6. This time doing the “cotton ball” areas first. Remember to wait for full bonding before wiping off the residue.

Use the remaining small amount of Zaino to do the bug prone areas including the front lamp covers.

After removing the residue wipe down the entire care with Z-6 and a clean microfiber towel to further enhance the shine!

Now stand back and admire your work! The next time will be easier because you will have learned how to apply thinner layers.

Additional info:
I recommend that in addition to Z-2, Z-5, Z-6, and Z-7 you get a bottle of Z-1. You may want to get two bottles of Z-6 since you will be using it frequently.

Here’s how I deal with the inevitable marring that sooner or later happen:
For scratches that go through the Zaino and into the clear-coat use your usual mar removal methods on that spot. It will remove the Zaino so it’s necessary to redo that area. This where it’s very handy to have a bottle of Z-1 since it’s really hard to mix a tiny amount of Z-5 and ZFX. To use Z-1 just wipe it on the area where you’ve been working and a little beyond and immediately wipe on the Z-2 or Z-5. Do not wait for the Z-1 to dry! The next day repeat the Z-1 and Z-2 or Z-5 application.
For very light scratches that are only in the Zaino I apply 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, which contains no abrasives, to the offending area. Add layers as needed. When you are satisfied with the appearance, then wipe very lightly with a mild Z-6 solution and again very lightly with Z-6. Top with a double layer of Z-1 and Z-2 or Z-5.

If you do top your Zaino with carnauba to gain added depth, remember to use very thin layers and that the wax must be removed before adding more Zaino. As well as adding depth, a topping of carnauba will protect the Zaino from micro-marring and will extend its life.

Some of my methods differ from what you will find on the Zaino web site,for example using microfiber instead of 100% cotton. I’ve done a lot of experimenting with Zaino and tried many methods and techniques, starting with Mr. Z’s recommendations. My hints and tips are the methods and techniques that have worked best for me on my black paint. YMMV!

Good luck and have fun!

me+mym3
Thu, Jul-08-2004, 04:48:46 PM
"Do a dish detergent wash, then a claying, and follow with whatever polishing is needed to remove (not fill) any micro-marring. Finish with a very mild cleaner/polish to obtain the most reflective surface possible. It is desirable, but not necessary, to use a random orbital buffer for the polishing phase. I recommend P21S GEPC, S100 SEC, or Platinum UPP-C. All of these products leave oils on the paint, and the polymers in Zaino will not bond to the paint properly if you do not remove the oils.

These are really detailed instructions but I am a little unclear about one thing. After washing with Dawn to remove all old waxes/oils, claying, you suggest using a cleaner/polish (P21S GEPC, S100 SEC, or Platinum UPP-C). As you stated, all of these leave oil that will not allow Zaino to bond. How do we go about removing the oils before moving on to the next step? Will the Z7 take care of this? I'm assuming the cleaner/polish products you suggest do not contain carnauba or other waxes because Zaino won't bond to these.

Also, where can I pick up these cleaner/polish products?

M34Speed
Thu, Jul-08-2004, 08:43:34 PM
Where do yo buy white microfiber towels? Also, there seems to be a lot of inconsistancies when it comes to loops, pile, or what ever else the seller uses to make his towels seem different than others.

Sirius
Fri, Jul-09-2004, 12:15:58 AM
I get mine from advance auto parts...

Beowoulf
Fri, Jul-09-2004, 05:19:10 PM
Guys, before you start asking me a bunch of questions on this thread read the top of the first post. I didn't write this. I suggest you guys join www.autopia.org and search their forum for answers. I get my MF towels from www.pakshak.com and a lot of the detailing materials can be bought from www.autogeek.net and www.properautocare.com. Do as I have, search and read then all your questions shall be answered.

Beowoulf
Fri, Jul-09-2004, 05:23:18 PM
These are really detailed instructions but I am a little unclear about one thing. After washing with Dawn to remove all old waxes/oils, claying, you suggest using a cleaner/polish (P21S GEPC, S100 SEC, or Platinum UPP-C). As you stated, all of these leave oil that will not allow Zaino to bond. How do we go about removing the oils before moving on to the next step? Will the Z7 take care of this? I'm assuming the cleaner/polish products you suggest do not contain carnauba or other waxes because Zaino won't bond to these.

Also, where can I pick up these cleaner/polish products?

The Z7 will not remove any oils. You can dawn wash again to get rid of any contaminents. The cleaner polishes are only necessary if your paint has some miles on it and needs a boost, otherwise they are not needed. The P21S paintwork cleaner is very nice for a prep step before a carnuba wax if you are not using Zaino.

Robb01
Fri, Apr-15-2005, 06:42:18 PM
Here is a great article that gives good insight into how to properly maintain a zaino'd finish. Hope its helpful.
Zaino (http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?autopia+s4642p+zaino.html)

TOGWT
Mon, Nov-12-2007, 01:10:04 PM
Nick no longer partisipates in detailing forums (sadly missed) If I may add this and will be happy to answer any questions you have on Zaino products / application...

Zaino™ Application Tips:
1. Apply this product using a distilled water-dampened applicator, and then spray the applicator with Z6.
2. Apply Z-solution very thinly using absolute minimum pressure on the applicator.
3. Spray the vehicle surface very lightly with Z6 between each ‘layer’.
4. Use Z-5 + ZFX for dark colours Z-2 + ZFX for light colours.
5. Use Souverän Wax as a final product on red, black or Porsche Speed yellow it produces a deep wet shine or Pinnacle Signature Series Wax for metallic and for light coloured vehicle paint
6. The secret to the application of a polymer product is to apply it thin (super thin) fill a spray bottle and mist a foam pad for application.
7. It cannot be emphasised enough ‘Apply products very sparingly’ Ease of product removal is inversely proportional (less product easier removal) to the amount used (0.5 – 1.0 oz should be sufficient for most vehicles)
8. Apply Z6 to the paint surface before you begin, it enables a thinner application of Z5 / Z2 (Z7 wash, polish prep, Z7 wash, Z6 wipe down, start Zaino process
9. If there are places were the wax is thick and you are having trouble buffing the residue, wash affected panel with a Z-7 wash solution or go over the area with a damp towel, allow to dry and then apply Z-6
10. A single thin layer of Zaino Z-2 / Z5 does not require a catalyst (Zanio ZFX) use Zaino Z-6 after application. Only if you are going to apply more than one layer of Zaino within a 24-hour period is the ZFX catalyst required.
11. Z2 contains a re-wetting agent that aids its flow and spread ability (it sometimes appears to have separated, but just shake the container to re-mix) so this product should be well shaken (but not stirred) before use
12. On darker colours dilute your Z-8 with distilled water 33:1, use a fine mist spray bottle to apply, this does is slow the drying time and will allow you to spread your Z-8 better and more evenly, giving better results, this really helps in the hot months, or with dark colour finishes
13. To remove bugs, road grime, etc. use a heavy concentration (1 oz. of Z-7 to 16 oz. of distilled water) to pre-soak.
14. Z-7 and distilled water is still the best way to remove Zaino which has streaked or smeared
15. To clean the applicator bottles, pour in some Isopropyl alcohol (IPA), replace the cap and shake for about 60 seconds, then rinse with hot water.

Zanio Steps:
The final result can only be as good as the surface it’s applied to. Zaino is almost optically perfect, which means any surface imperfections will be highlighted / magnified so surface preparation is of paramount importance.
I cannot emphasise enough. ‘Apply products very sparingly’
1. Optimum no rinse (ONR) wash
2. Z-18 clay with Z-7 car wash as lube
3. Re-wash with ONR
4. Dual Action Paint Cleaner Swirl Remover Z-PC

Or Z-AIO All-In-One (one step cleaner, polish and protectant) removes minor flaws and cleans embedded debris
5. Two coats of Z-5 PRO Show Car Polish+ ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator Additive
(Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray between each coat)
6. One coat of Z-2 PRO Show Car Polish for gloss
7. Z-CS Clear Seal dries clean and ‘optically clear’ in approx.15 minutes (65° F - 21°C) and typically 2 – 6 hours to cross-link depending on atmospheric conditions.
8. Once Z-CS is thoroughly dry use Z-8 Grand Finale Spray Seal

jsatek
Wed, Mar-05-2008, 08:14:56 PM
I have three great tips:

1. Mix 50% Z-PC and 50% Z-6 in a bottle and shake. No dusting, easy surface clean-up. You will be amazed.

2. When mixing up Z-5pro with ZFX, add 2 squirts of Z-8. This adds a little shine to the application.

3. Expensive, but interesting. Use Z-8 in a bucket instead of Optimum No Rinse. It works great. I tried it after I heard a rumor from a friend.

MagicOPromotion
Sat, May-23-2009, 11:21:21 AM
Just go talk to Frosty about it. For what its worth IMO Zaino is awsome for a DD car especially if it is kept outside, and the result is extremely impressive. Its hard to compare it to wax considering a wax with comparable results will be much more expensive anyways, nor last as long.

TOGWT
Mon, May-25-2009, 09:51:02 AM
Use a 1 oz plastic syringe (packaged / sold as marinade injectors).. They are marked off in increments of 1/4 oz. (and ml) pour the Zaino and the appropriate number of ZFX into the syringe; shake it up. Since the syringe self-cleans due to the plunger, there is zero waste

SHREE2006
Thu, Jun-04-2009, 10:40:39 AM
That's not detailing a car.

Detailing a car is cleaning the DETAILS.

Which would mean going through your dash with a q-tip, to clean out all the crevices, removing the seats, and steam cleaning the carpet, seats, etc, individually, hand polishing any chrome, etc and so forth.

All you're doing, is washing the outside. That's the same idea as putting on clean clothes, and saying you're clean; instead of actually taking a bath and cleaning up.
__________________________________________________ _
bad debt mortgage (http://www.adverse-mortgage-centre.co.uk/bad-debt-mortgage.html)
get out of debt fast guide (http://www.getoutofdebtfastguide.com/)

NFDoms2k1
Mon, Jul-27-2009, 04:25:55 PM
2 questions:

First, I have an alpine white E93. I recently did a full on detail and used Zaino for the first time. The problem I have is when I put the Z2 on I can barely see it. The first coat I used sparingly like I was suppose to even though I couldn't see it at all. I just hoped I got full coverage of the vehicle. When it dried I realized there were huge gaps. The next coat I wound up using much more than I should (almost two ounces) just so I could see where I applied it, and even then looking at an extreme oblique angle, sometimes I could not see where I applied the polish. Any tips on how to make the polish more visible when applying?

Secondly, anyone have tips on removing wax on top of several coats of Zaino? -
I am going to be showing my car and was thinking that a wax finish on top of around 10 coats of Zaino would give it an ultra thick, ultra reflective shine. I was also thinking about doing it again before the harsh NY winter, to give added protection to the vehicle (even though I do garage her). If I did this how would I remove the wax coat in order to apply more Zaino? I know many people on here will just tell me to not bother with the wax, just humor me on this one please. Thanks!

BigHat
Fri, Apr-16-2010, 07:04:53 PM
2 questions:

Secondly, anyone have tips on removing wax on top of several coats of Zaino? -

As noted above, dishwashing detergent will remove the wax but not the Zaino.