Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Besides Zaino what's a good product to use on the car that I can get at the store?

Bruinxman
Mon, Jun-21-2004, 08:35:16 PM
I need some helpe with this...let me know of any good products you guys have used that I can just pick up at any auto store

Awd330xi
Mon, Jun-21-2004, 09:03:01 PM
Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze is just as good as Zaino...Trust me.

racsos
Mon, Jun-21-2004, 09:23:18 PM
Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze is just as good as Zaino...Trust me.

zaino is much better in terms of protection. Much much better. If u just care about looks then i would say a carnuba wax is as good as its gonna get. A really good carnuba is s100 which u can buy at ur local harley davidson store. If u want some over the counter stuff that protects really well then i would probably have to say go with nxt from meguairs.

Chief
Tue, Jun-22-2004, 12:04:22 AM
I like the new Meguiar's NXT. I used their dual action cleaner/polish topped off with NXT and I think it looks and feels good. The NXT is very easy to use, especially with a Porter Cable Polisher.
Good Luck and happy wax'n!

Sirius
Tue, Jun-22-2004, 12:08:06 AM
I like zymol.

cbformula
Tue, Jun-22-2004, 12:50:47 AM
USE MEGUIARS NXT.

Im quite excited about this new product from meguires... and thats saying alot. Its actually not that new... maybe a few months. Anyways, there are very few products that can truely amaze me and this one did.

Not to get into too much detail but the reflective gloss and depth was very close to the best Ive seen. Feel was terrific, extremely slick, more than Zaino I dare say (considering u do the appropriate surface prep.) Im still testing the durability of this product but so far its not bad (not as good as zaino though). Plus it kinda collects dust a bit, but not as bad as many other products in stores.

So in conclusion, I highly recommend you try NXT from Meguiars. You can find it at any auto parts store like Kragen and Autozone as well as Target, Wallmart, etc. Try it! its cheap!

Beowoulf
Tue, Jun-22-2004, 03:56:01 AM
I like zymol.

The Zymol you buy at the store is nothing but Turtle wax. You have to order online from one of their dealers to get the real stuff.

If you just want a good Carnauba wax then go with the S100 as mentioned above. The best stuff usually you have to get from online since the demand is not there at your local PEP Boys.

TT2M3
Tue, Jun-22-2004, 04:04:35 AM
Well, it looks like the wax has been pretty much covered.
If you are looking for tire dressing, I use Meguire's Gold Class Endurance long lasting tire protectant gel.
It's not like all the other stickey, super shiney crap that slings off the tire and all over your paint. This stuff is works great!
Not real shiney, lasts for weeks, and is easy to apply. (smells good too)

M34U2NV
Tue, Jun-22-2004, 04:21:30 AM
I like zymol.

Ditto and agree with Beowulf; must be the REAL stuff.

-Frank

cbformula
Tue, Jun-22-2004, 04:30:38 AM
Well, it looks like the wax has been pretty much covered.
If you are looking for tire dressing, I use Meguire's Gold Class Endurance long lasting tire protectant gel.
It's not like all the other stickey, super shiney crap that slings off the tire and all over your paint. This stuff is works great!
Not real shiney, lasts for weeks, and is easy to apply. (smells good too)

To add on to what he said, Meguiars tire dressings are great. Good for the tire (rubber), wont sling off, and lasts a long time compared to the competition. Plus its cheap and easy to find. To contradict this though, i think the normal Gold Class gel may be too shinny for your tastes. Dont get me wrong, I love shinny tires-- I have Meguiars high gloss version of their tired dressing. But from my experiences, I thought the original version was shinny and I liked it (I just wanted even more shine). But may be too much from what Im getting from your request. Other than that, I think its an excellent product.

Bruinxman
Tue, Jun-22-2004, 05:48:34 PM
USE MEGUIARS NXT.

Im quite excited about this new product from meguires... and thats saying alot. Its actually not that new... maybe a few months. Anyways, there are very few products that can truely amaze me and this one did.

Not to get into too much detail but the reflective gloss and depth was very close to the best Ive seen. Feel was terrific, extremely slick, more than Zaino I dare say (considering u do the appropriate surface prep.) Im still testing the durability of this product but so far its not bad (not as good as zaino though). Plus it kinda collects dust a bit, but not as bad as many other products in stores.

So in conclusion, I highly recommend you try NXT from Meguiars. You can find it at any auto parts store like Kragen and Autozone as well as Target, Wallmart, etc. Try it! its cheap!

am i going to need an electric waxer or buffer? can i do it by hand?

cbformula
Tue, Jun-22-2004, 08:00:51 PM
am i going to need an electric waxer or buffer? can i do it by hand?

Yea dont bother with an electrical buffer. Doing it by hand will give you the same great results with less investment and time used on a buffer. The product is very easy to use, just follow the directions on the bottle and youre set :)

JoeCaMotto
Tue, Jun-22-2004, 11:15:09 PM
I like zymol.
I second this

dskippy888
Sun, Jun-27-2004, 03:20:26 AM
I saw Zymol Cleaner Wax at the hardware store. Is there a difference between "Cleaner Wax" and others? And I recall that Beowolf mentioned that the Zymol you purchase in the store is bad? Why is that? Also, I heard that Zymol is very hard to apply because it's really sticky and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on that.
Sorry about the 99 questions.

M34U2NV
Sun, Jun-27-2004, 03:25:47 AM
I saw Zymol Cleaner Wax at the hardware store. Is there a difference between "Cleaner Wax" and others? And I recall that Beowolf mentioned that the Zymol you purchase in the store is bad? Why is that? Also, I heard that Zymol is very hard to apply because it's really sticky and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on that.
Sorry about the 99 questions.

The cleaner wax is good stuff. He didn't say the stuff in the store was "bad" per se, but he said that some of the off the shelf zymol stuff is actually made by turtle wax; SOME, not ALL. Look on the back of the label, if it is a IL address, its turtle wax, if its a CT address, its the real stuff. However, even the turtlewax stuff is not bad at all.

Zymol is a tough process to apply, u should practice it to perfect it. It is worth it though, I have a thread in this section of my car with some "real" zymol on it, that I bought at a specialty store, not a target or auto parts store.

Hope that helped some.

-Frank

Sirius
Sun, Jun-27-2004, 04:07:01 AM
The cleaner wax is good stuff. He didn't say the stuff in the store was "bad" per se, but he said that some of the off the shelf zymol stuff is actually made by turtle wax; SOME, not ALL. Look on the back of the label, if it is a IL address, its turtle wax, if its a CT address, its the real stuff. However, even the turtlewax stuff is not bad at all.

Zymol is a tough process to apply, u should practice it to perfect it. It is worth it though, I have a thread in this section of my car with some "real" zymol on it, that I bought at a specialty store, not a target or auto parts store.

Hope that helped some.

-Frank

It is a tough process to apply. I have had plenty of practice at work with it on black cars though. Requires lots of elbow greese after you get the inital layer off to smooth out the wax, or it remains blotchy.

Thank god I don't have a dark colored car. Less pain on my part. ;)

Didn't know about the differences though. Must investigate!

M34U2NV
Sun, Jun-27-2004, 04:12:24 AM
It is a tough process to apply. I have had plenty of practice at work with it on black cars though. Requires lots of elbow greese after you get the inital layer off to smooth out the wax, or it remains blotchy.

Thank god I don't have a dark colored car. Less pain on my part. ;)

Didn't know about the differences though. Must investigate!

The difference is there, the real zymol goes on like butter basically, and I'm not using butter as an adjective, i mean, like your actually putting butter on your car. If youi get it right, you will notice instantly. If you want the ultimate shine for that red car bro. . .give the zymol HD cleanse a shot, followed by some Carbon hand blend wax.

http://www.zymol.com/crecar2.htm

-Frank

Sirius
Sun, Jun-27-2004, 04:18:44 AM
Hey, thanks Frank. I'll give that a try. Always trying to find a way to add that extra sparkle.. ;)

M34U2NV
Sun, Jun-27-2004, 04:20:02 AM
Hey, thanks Frank. I'll give that a try. Always trying to find a way to add that extra sparkle.. ;)

Yep, it's by no means cheap stuff. . .but the M3 is worth it. :D

-Frank

dskippy888
Sun, Jun-27-2004, 07:14:08 AM
From the sounds of it, all you guys use some pretty swanky products. I've only been able to get my hands on the generic Meguiars stuff however. The Meguiar's Gold Class to be precise, which is a canurba wax. I was wondering how to tell whether a wax is safe for a car. Also, cheap wax won't actually hurt the car right? It just means you don't get as much shine and durability, correct?

M3IZZY
Sun, Jun-27-2004, 07:35:15 AM
Skip, swank or no swank it's what u consider best. Everyone has their own opinion. Some people believe in the 50 step Zaino process others don't. If you want something easy to find and at your local shop, then try S100 fom your local Harley store. That's a great Carnuba. And Meguair's NXT, I've heard nothing but rave reviews about it.

I got crazy and purchased all kinds of goodies from proper auto care. I've currently been using the Menzerna products w/ great success. I bought the car care kit along with some micro's. http://www.properautocare.com/mepr.html The FMJ wax is going on two months and still beads like a champion. After I threw down the polish, glaze and wax, I swear my car took on a new shade of color.

There's all kinds of tricks to the trade, it just depends on how far you want to go with it.

16M3driver
Wed, Jun-30-2004, 08:21:58 PM
hey..i bought the Eagle F1 spray on wax..u know the new one on tv and stuff were u rinse the car, spray on and then wipe off...well i was wondering if this product is good? i use microfiber towels to wipe it down is that ok?