Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Bird Sh*t Tip Needed!!!

M3IZZY
Mon, Jun-21-2004, 06:06:41 AM
A couple of pigeons with the runs had a field day on my hood today. I was at the beach at my friends casa parked under a power line and they hit me. I saw the damage when we were going to get some coffee, so I got out the speed shine(Eagle One Wipe & Shine Quick Detailing Spray) and a microfiber and removed it. It took a little while because the car had been out there a few hours under the sun.

So tonight I wash my car, then pull it under the flourescent in the garage, and see some major swirl marks where the bird's dropped their bombs and some sort of slight residue I was not able to get off. I guess tomorrow I'll have to hit the spots w/ some clay, polish, glaze and wax(4 steps). Bummer, huh?

Well my question is this: :bullhorn: What's the best way to remove bird sh*t in the future without causing the swirl marks? I don't know if there's a quick shine that will take out the residue that managed to work it's way deep into my hood. Is there? The Eagle One has been pretty good for a speed shine here and there, but it really let me down on this one. :banghead: Suggestions please!!!

Beowoulf
Mon, Jun-21-2004, 07:39:01 AM
You need to get it nice and wet otherwise you are grinding that crap into your paint. Besides the quick detailer, carry a spray bottle of distilled water then follow up with your detailer.

BaDm0theR
Mon, Jun-21-2004, 01:42:49 PM
This works well: http://www.poorboysworld.com/bird-sht-remover.htm

As does PB's Spray & Wipe (for waterless washes & light touch ups)

bigbanana
Mon, Jun-21-2004, 08:51:09 PM
A couple of pigeons with the runs had a field day on my hood today. I was at the beach at my friends casa parked under a power line and they hit me. I saw the damage when we were going to get some coffee, so I got out the speed shine(Eagle One Wipe & Shine Quick Detailing Spray) and a microfiber and removed it. It took a little while because the car had been out there a few hours under the sun.

So tonight I wash my car, then pull it under the flourescent in the garage, and see some major swirl marks where the bird's dropped their bombs and some sort of slight residue I was not able to get off. I guess tomorrow I'll have to hit the spots w/ some clay, polish, glaze and wax(4 steps). Bummer, huh?

Well my question is this: :bullhorn: What's the best way to remove bird sh*t in the future without causing the swirl marks? I don't know if there's a quick shine that will take out the residue that managed to work it's way deep into my hood. Is there? The Eagle One has been pretty good for a speed shine here and there, but it really let me down on this one. :banghead: Suggestions please!!!
Try "Speed Shine" from griotsgarage.com. I use this and all their products. They really know their stuff. Give it a try, you will not be disappointed. :thumbsup:

M3IZZY
Mon, Jun-21-2004, 09:04:58 PM
Thanks Fella's. Alot of great tips.

Ninja K
Mon, Jun-21-2004, 09:27:58 PM
I'd powerwash the tough **** off first.....the rest I'd put some washing up liquid onto the culprits mark(s), let it settle, then get the sponge (soaked) out as usuale and give it a nice wash over.

dskippy888
Tue, Jun-22-2004, 06:59:00 AM
I guess the safest first step to getting off the bird **** is just spraying it all off with a high power hose. That's what I hear from most people, and I suppose it sounds logical, since no rubbing = no scratching. I recently purchased a great product, the simoniz 1750 pressure washer. It's great to blast off bugs and various other road contaminants off of your car's finish without running the risk of having to rub them off with a sponge and potentially having those particles molest the clearcoat. I suppose a regular hose with a somewhat decent nozzle can get off all the birdpoo as well, just that it might take longer. But the 2300psi water pressure was able to take off all the birddroppings, as well as bug splats, and I used it to get tar off of my other car.

However, my car recently got pooped on as well, and my Carbon Black finish is also showing that residue that you mentioned. If you find a good solution, please let me know if you can. Cheers.

SpecialK
Tue, Jun-22-2004, 05:11:42 PM
If what you're talking about is that milky looking residue that appears to be under the clear coat then I think I can help. 3M swirl mark remover for dark cars. Same thing happened to me and I like to have a 2 foot black car. Fixed it up well and you can get it your local auto parts store. Kragen, Pep Boys, Auto Zone, whatever you have. Follow up with the 3M hand glaze then your favorite wax/poliching product. You have to search well to find it again, but it will dissipate over time. Also, the distilled water and microfiber in the trunk paid for themselves right away.I guess the safest first step to getting off the bird **** is just spraying it all off with a high power hose. That's what I hear from most people, and I suppose it sounds logical, since no rubbing = no scratching. I recently purchased a great product, the simoniz 1750 pressure washer. It's great to blast off bugs and various other road contaminants off of your car's finish without running the risk of having to rub them off with a sponge and potentially having those particles molest the clearcoat. I suppose a regular hose with a somewhat decent nozzle can get off all the birdpoo as well, just that it might take longer. But the 2300psi water pressure was able to take off all the birddroppings, as well as bug splats, and I used it to get tar off of my other car.

However, my car recently got pooped on as well, and my Carbon Black finish is also showing that residue that you mentioned. If you find a good solution, please let me know if you can. Cheers.

M3IZZY
Wed, Jun-23-2004, 05:28:15 AM
Thanks Beowoulf. Distilled water worked like a charm today. Got home and noticed a small bird sh*t on the roof. Busted out the distilled water, then blasted it w/ speed shine and bam- like new. Good tip.

BigHat
Mon, Jul-05-2004, 04:36:38 PM
This was I read somewhere years ago and it works very well.

Spray the BS. I use Speed Shine from Griot's. Then place a clean cotton towel over it and spray the cloth section over the BS. Get it very wet. Wait a minute for it to soften. Pinch the cloth and lift the BS.
Then respray the spot and get the residual.

homeboy
Tue, Jul-13-2004, 10:13:28 AM
I always keep a bottle of selzer water in my trunk which does the trick.