Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : 8 hours of detailing and...

M3IZZY
Mon, Jun-07-2004, 08:29:23 PM
And I got nothing to show for it! Wash, polish, double glaze and wax yesterday for 8 hours. Hoped to snap some pics today, but I went to see a client in one of those just built neighborhoods and it rained, so bam- a car covered in white dirt. Man am I pissed! Then I was thinking re-wash tonight and it looks like more rain. Just my luck! :violin: Oh well, that's life. One day I'll post some pics.

epM3cisa
Mon, Jun-07-2004, 10:16:41 PM
d'oh! :banghead:

You mean you dont normally wash your car 2-3 times a week?

SpecialK
Mon, Jun-07-2004, 10:49:05 PM
Buy a white car? I have Jet Black which shows the dust from a mosquito's breath. I just walk around with microfiber oven mits on now. I look odd and driving is tougher, but she's always glimmering. On a serious note, do use a speed shine? It'll save you many a painful detailing headache.

epM3cisa
Mon, Jun-07-2004, 10:52:37 PM
Buy a white car? I have Jet Black which shows the dust from a mosquito's breath. I just walk around with microfiber oven mits on now. I look odd and driving is tougher, but she's always glimmering. On a serious note, do use a speed shine? It'll save you many a painful detailing headache.

SpecialK...you and I must do exactly the same thing. I cant wash my microfiber towels fast enough to keep up with as many times I speed shine my M.

SpecialK
Tue, Jun-08-2004, 12:34:44 AM
I clean up every night when I get home. My kids think I'm possessed. Others however continue to comment on how clean I keep my car and I do appreciate that greatly. I used to have an absolute beater Datsun 510 that was always clean yet every shade of primer gray known to mankind. "Fugly" comes to mind, but a great car. No masterpiece but I wouldn't hear the end from my folks if it was any other way than clean. Lesson learned here and happy I did albeit a painful one.

M3IZZY
Tue, Jun-08-2004, 02:16:27 AM
Washed it again tonight. Hope to have some pics up manana. What's a speed shine?

SpecialK
Tue, Jun-08-2004, 02:26:30 AM
In between waxes it keeps the water spots away and static down so dust isn't as bad. Bugs come off easier as well. Zaino, Griot's, there are a host of them out there at a decent price of about $10. Griot's has 35 oz for $9.95 for example. If you pick a reputable company it's a tough one to screw up. Spray and wipe. I can do my entire car in less than ten minutes.

MattMan
Tue, Jun-08-2004, 06:52:39 AM
Need recommendations on wash mitts and towels.. ? Don't know what is best but some of the ones I've used (wash mitt from autozone) have too much lint and/or can't find for sure the best detailing (drying) towels without worrying of scratching..etc..

help?

SpecialK
Tue, Jun-08-2004, 03:44:01 PM
A virtual plethora of microfiber and "other" including wash mits and touch up gear: http://www.premiumautocare.com/ The microfiber towels alone are a steal at $12.95 for a 20x40 towel. Most others are 16x16 for the same price. Shop till you drop!

SpecialK
Tue, Jun-08-2004, 03:47:05 PM
. . . and so you know how the stuff works and some very good tips: http://www.properautocare.com/mengerbespol.html

BaDm0theR
Tue, Jun-08-2004, 04:10:49 PM
Mattman: Another fantastic distributor of high-quality micro-fiber/waffle weave towels is www.pakshak.com

I had the pleasure of doing business with Ranney (operator & owner) and i must say that he is a class act the whole way.

Not to even mention the unmatched quality of the towels they have!

Here's a small review i wrote on the Detailcity forums, you can check it out at: http://detailcity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3520&highlight=microfiber+review

:D

M3IZZY
Tue, Jun-08-2004, 07:32:44 PM
Da*n, that is a steal on the 20x40 towel for $12.95. If I didn't already have a Big Blue II- dry's my whole car- I'd buy 1 or 2. I also got a STEAL of a price from John at www.properautocare.com on 16x16 micro towels(blue one's). I got like 12 or 14 of'em. Those are perfect for removal of polishes, glaze and wax. Then, I buff with a plush micro.

Matt, as for the wash mitt, I use the chenille one's from K-Mart-actually the chenille squares. They are linty though. They leave some lint around my sunroof, but that comes off fairly easily. Any wash mitt you use is going to collect dirt and have to be replaced- microfiber, sheepskin, chenille, etc... I use the chenille's for 2 or 3 washes then get a new one. And I wash'em between uses. So, I'd rather just replace the chenille's rather than the more expensive one's. A little lint never hurt nobody.

M3IZZY
Fri, Jun-11-2004, 08:29:36 PM
Here's some pics finally(haven't figured out how to double post'em, so here's link to thread):

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=31978&page=2&pp=10

Late.