Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Wax??

E-solo
Wed, Jun-02-2004, 04:45:24 AM
Im living in extremely hot climate and Im going to wax my car this week. I need some protection from the sun and the ease of just washing off the dirt without any harsh soaps. What kind of wax should I request from the detailing shop?

SpecialK
Wed, Jun-02-2004, 02:01:00 PM
Personal preference really on how much effort you want to put into it between wax and polish, but if you want basic descriptions and "how to" ideas, go to www.autogeek.com for a start or get into a search engine for the nitty-gritty info. Each manufacturer is going to claim they have the best and there are numerous that are exceptional. Zaino, Klasse, P21S, Meguir's, Griot's, etc, are call good products with good tech support. I use Zaino myself but may switch to Klasse on the next go round to test it out.

E-solo
Fri, Jun-04-2004, 01:42:25 AM
Personal preference really on how much effort you want to put into it between wax and polish, but if you want basic descriptions and "how to" ideas, go to www.autogeek.com for a start or get into a search engine for the nitty-gritty info. Each manufacturer is going to claim they have the best and there are numerous that are exceptional. Zaino, Klasse, P21S, Meguir's, Griot's, etc, are call good products with good tech support. I use Zaino myself but may switch to Klasse on the next go round to test it out.

what is a paint sealant? does this protect the paint more?

Beowoulf
Fri, Jun-04-2004, 06:29:00 AM
what is a paint sealant? does this protect the paint more?

What paint sealant are your referring to?

E-solo
Fri, Jun-04-2004, 09:20:38 AM
i was told at the detail shop that a paint sealant could be placed on the car to create an even and smooth surface that would protect the car from UV damage and keep the shine. what paint sealant you ask. i wish i knew.

SpecialK
Fri, Jun-04-2004, 02:51:47 PM
I had Auto Armor put on at the dealership to the tune of "paid way too much", but it is gauranteed not to chip or they will fix it for 5 years. Paint sealant does just what you said, protects the paint from UV and smooths out the finish, and again, different manufacturers are looking for that one difference to make their product more attractive but most are similar. Klasse makes a sealant as does P21S and there are others. I've used neither so I can't speak to their quality, but given their reputations I would say that either would be a safe bet. Also, BMW comes to the states with a softer clear coat which is different from what a U.S. manufactured clear coat would be due to the toxicity requirements placed on us here in the U.S. which is in part why more swirls show up on our ultimate children. Just food for thought.

Beowoulf
Fri, Jun-04-2004, 04:53:54 PM
Using a good wax or a polymer sealant like Zaino, Klasse or Blackfire will protect your paint well enough. I'm not sure what is in the stuff they call paint sealant and exactly how long it lasts, but I don't usually believe what the dealer tells me so I 'll stick to the proven products.