Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Freshly Zaino'd Black Beauty [pics]

///Mperor
Mon, May-31-2004, 03:23:25 AM
My friend and I had a few thousand hours to spare, so we gave my car a nice Zaino treatment. For anyone who hasn't Zaino'd...it's a ****in' huge pain in the ass!!! There were two of us, and it still took hours and hours. We've decided to coin a new phrase..."going Zaino." Sort of like "going postal," but this is brought about from hours of frustrating Zaino-ing :gun: .
At least there is a great pay-off in the end :bugeye: .

I started with a nice Dawn wash, then dried, then because I'm paranoid to leave Dawn on my paint I washed with Z-7. My friend washed again with
Z-7 and got all the spots I missed. We then embarked upon the most painful and disturbing process known to man...the clay barring. You hear some weird noises as you're picking up debris, and it scares the bejeesus out of you thinking you're scratching the hell out of your paint (your not as long as you pick out any debris). After that it was Z-6 spray, then Z-5 + ZFX, then Z-6 spray, etc, etc. When your fingers start to bleed and you pass out, you're almost done :devilish: . Here are a few pics. They don't really do it justice since it's just 2.1 megapixel. Shines like a mofo up close. :beer:

Choson1
Mon, May-31-2004, 03:24:22 AM
Beautiful!!

MaxxM3
Mon, May-31-2004, 03:26:34 AM
yea its tooo much of hassle, i now use p21s and the p21s pre paint cleaner..

car looks awesome though......
enjoy :D

lightspeed
Mon, May-31-2004, 03:28:33 AM
Verrry beautiful Ace -- very beautiful. :thumbsup:

JB is the best color for an M3 imo.

BaDm0theR
Mon, May-31-2004, 04:32:37 AM
Great work acehole, your black beast looks gorgeous. :peace:

Some points/tips:

Im not sure what kind of noises you guys were getting during the clay treatment, but i don't hear anything scary when i clay. ;) Be sure to properly lubricate the area you are claying, think of it as hydroplaining the clay over the bar...not rubbing or scrubbing hard (this will indeed create scratches and minute paint marring). As you clay, you dont need to apply alot of pressure, just gently glide the clay over the well lubed paint surface and let it do its magic.

Zaino is a nice synthetic sealant...however the time, energy and money needed to do the Zaino process is ridiculous and overkill IMO.

There are a cornucopia of outstanding detailing products that are FAR easier to use, create equally impressive and/or MORE impressive results and cost a fraction of Zaino.

Browse through some of the main detailing forums to learn about ALL of your options, perhaps you may fall in love with a new product that works even better. :D

LoL, to me it seems like i fall in love every week with all the sutff i try and test out.
:beer:

www.detailcity.com

www.autopia.org

///Mperor
Mon, May-31-2004, 06:32:31 AM
How did this end up in the car detailing forum?

All the other posts of pics post-Zaino stayed in the main forum. I feel cheated...all my hard labor, and no one is going to get to see my pics in this forum :violin:.

As far as your question BaDmOtheR, the noise from claybarring was just the noise of it picking up debris. I didn't rub hard, and I used Zaino as a lubricant like they recommended. Just sounded funky for some reason. Definitely caused some micro-marring, but just looking at my Jet Black paint causes that :help: .

The thing I like about Zaino over carnuba products is that it supposedly gives the paint some long-lasting protection. Instead of waxing it every 3-4 weeks, I can just wash it between Zaino-ing it every 6 months or so.

But, the full Zaino treatment is such a monumental pain in the arse, I just might need to seek out something more user friendly.

Z rated
Mon, May-31-2004, 06:44:13 AM
Sweet job, keeping jb clean is VERY hard. Depending on how anal you are about keeping it clean. I try wash and z6 mine at least once a week. I spent a good 4 hours today jsut doing a regular wash, and z6. I planned just to do a "quick" (2 hour) job of washing, but ended up doing z6 vacuuming, and conditioning the leather. But i dont know how you can let your friend help you wash your car. You must really trust him. I find it hard to even have my friends around when i wash my car. Probably because it takes me 2 hours just to wash and dry my car :D

///Mperor
Mon, May-31-2004, 12:51:58 PM
Sweet job, keeping jb clean is VERY hard. Depending on how anal you are about keeping it clean. I try wash and z6 mine at least once a week. I spent a good 4 hours today jsut doing a regular wash, and z6. I planned just to do a "quick" (2 hour) job of washing, but ended up doing z6 vacuuming, and conditioning the leather. But i dont know how you can let your friend help you wash your car. You must really trust him. I find it hard to even have my friends around when i wash my car. Probably because it takes me 2 hours just to wash and dry my car :D

I trust him more than I do myself! He has an NSX, and is a perfectionist. I'd let him do the whole thing if he was willing :dance: .

icoburn
Mon, May-31-2004, 06:42:27 PM
Sweet! Now go ice that arm and drop some advil :D

STALKER
Mon, May-31-2004, 06:55:25 PM
Looks good, I have to Zaino mine this week.

mmmhmm
Tue, Jun-01-2004, 07:10:29 AM
nice pics, the reflection looks awesome! Yup, JB will do it! I actually just half-zaino'd my M today. Took my bro (ZQQM3R) and I about 2 1/2 hrs. Enjoy you JB (while you can, hehehe) :beer:

Z rated
Tue, Jun-01-2004, 09:15:54 AM
advil and ice isnt very crazy of an idea, i know when i zaino'ed my jb my arm was having muscle spasms, i couldnt turn my wrist in towards my forearm without it crimping up, that hruit a lot for a day or two.

STALKER
Tue, Jun-01-2004, 04:23:40 PM
Quick question for you guys, Im gonna be detaling the car this week with Zaino, gonna put using Z2 and Z5 with ZFX. Can I apply the product to the whole car then buff, or should I do it one panel at a time or does it really even matter? Thanks.