Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Drove my '04 M3 to work today. Light coat of dust over car, ok to use Cal. duster????

adam ihasz
Wed, May-19-2004, 02:13:20 PM
Waxed my entire vehicle last night. Light coat of dust on it after travelling down a small dirt road.. Is it ok to use my California duster, or what is the best way to remove this? I assume I wouldnt have to wax it again, looks fantastic, just want to remove the dust when I put it back in my garage. Thx for the help.

Sirius
Wed, May-19-2004, 03:59:20 PM
Should be able to. I believe thoes dusters have a bit of wax in them to make them softer and to pick up the dust.

BaDm0theR
Wed, May-19-2004, 06:31:32 PM
Waxed my entire vehicle last night. Light coat of dust on it after travelling down a small dirt road.. Is it ok to use my California duster, or what is the best way to remove this? I assume I wouldnt have to wax it again, looks fantastic, just want to remove the dust when I put it back in my garage. Thx for the help.

Adam, if the car has been recently waxed, using a quick detail spray is ideal for removing light surface contaminants. Most of the detailers on www.detailcity.com prefer Poorboy's Spray n Wipe for such ocassions, minor touch ups in between waxing etc...

There are ofcourse many options/companies that make similar products that do an equally impressive job.

Some touch up sprays/Quick Detailers may or may not have carnauba/silicon in them, the finish they leave is also really a matter of preference too. Quick Detail/touch up sprays that DO contain carnauba/silicates leave a glossier wet shine, and do throw down a thin film of protection too.

Other great QD's include, Meguiars, Four Star Ultimate, Wolfgang....the list goes on.

If you do not want any additional coatings of silicates/carnauba, and are just looking for touch up/cleaning purposes without removing (or layering) your current wax...then a product like Poorboys Spray n Wipe is ideal. Remember to use a high-quality microfiber towel when wiping anything off your paints' finish. Lubricity from these quick detail sprays provides increased assurance that there will be no micro-marring/fine scratching of the clearcoat too (something that a dry cali duster may induce b/c it drags the particles over the finish w/out lubrication).

Here are some usefull sites for future references.

www.detailcity.com Excellent source for car care information, tips and techniques.

www.premiumautocare.com Excellent source for high-quality detailing supplies

http://www.poorboysworld.com/

adam ihasz
Thu, May-20-2004, 01:58:36 PM
Thanks for the tip. Does it work if you mist the CA duster w/ a little water first??

SpecialK
Thu, May-20-2004, 06:44:02 PM
I would avoid the California Duster in general. It's impregnated with parafine and that translates to your finish leaving a residue behind you may or may not be able to see. Try leaving it in one place for a few moments, it will be there. One other note, it that over time it can pick up small bits of sand, grime, and even small rocks. I'll let you do the math on what can occur over extended use. White cotton towel or a microfiber using a speed shine product working from the top of the car to the bottom. Reason is that most of the heavier soil collects near the running boards and that will save you "scratch agony" in the long run. I normally just rinse mine with plain water between washes if it isn't more than minor road dirt or dust and then do a wipe down followed by a speed shine with Zaino. I do want to try the Mr. Clean Autodry system, but I think it may have alcohol in it which will break down the wax. Need to do some more reading.