Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : A Question for all Zaino Loyalists

CELICA414
Mon, May-17-2004, 02:24:45 AM
After much debate, i've decide to hop on the Zaino bandwagon. I do have a few concerns.
1. To begin, did you all really wash your cars with Dawn liquid soap. That sems so harsh. My car has not been waxed since I purchased it in August, so do you all think this step is really necessary?

2. Do you all wash your cars with terry cloth towels? I've alsways used mits and a chamosis, but the Zaino site says everything but 100% cotton towles can scratch the car.

The reason I decided to switch to zaino was really because I like the obsessiveness of the site. It all seems to make sense, but i'm just worried, i wanna do the right thing for my beautiful car.

Your input is appreciated.

///Mperor
Mon, May-17-2004, 03:11:42 AM
Well, if you're sure you have no wax left on the car, you don't really need to Dawn wash it. But, one Dawn washing isn't going to harm your paint in any way at all...so you might just want to do it.

As far as only 100% cotton towels, that's a little crazy imho. I use a 100% cotton mit to wash, and use a Big Blue Towel (microfiber) along with a Toro 215mph leaf blower to dry. I do have a bunch of 100% cotton Fieldcrest towels around, as he recommends. They just seem to get too many cotton fibers all over the place when you dry with them.

Depending on the color of your car, chamois can be a little dangerous. I have Jet Black, and I'm paranoid even to touch it with cotton :dance: .

icode4food
Mon, May-17-2004, 07:09:22 PM
Didn't do the dawn step because I didnt have much wax left on my car...water wasnt bubbling up. The Dawn step is only used to remove the wax currently on your car. If you don't have layers of another brand of wax on the car, you can skip this step.

I don't have the brand of towel the site recommends. I bought a bunch of towels at Target in the car washing section and use them along with old bath and kitchen towels. Just make sure if you do buy new towels to wash them a couple times to get rid of the fuzzys so they dont collect on your car.

323i_newbie
Wed, May-19-2004, 08:56:19 PM
Do you mean that your car has never been waxed or it was last waxed when you bought it?
If the second is true, you could still have residual wax on the car. Using dawn to wash the car is also good at getting any bug remains off the front section of the car. Like others have said, one wash with dawn is not going to hurt the paint. The reason people say not to wash regularly with dawn is because it strips the wax you want on your car.
I tried to avoid using the cotton towels at first also and used microfiber towels. Midway through applying coats, I bought some cotton towels. I think the cotton towels work better. It worked better with the Z-6. The microfiber was becoming saturated (I only had small microfiber towels).

CELICA414
Thu, May-20-2004, 12:32:21 AM
Thanks for the input, I ordered Zaino Z2, ZFX, Z6 and Z7 yesterday. I'm going to wash the car with towels and dawn, i'll give it a try. I just need to find fieldcrest 100% cotton towels.

323i_newbie
Thu, May-20-2004, 01:50:24 AM
I had a hard time finding the 100% cotton towels. I looked at the mall department stores like the zaino website suggested. Most stores are now carrying Egyptian (sp?) cotton. I finally found some 100% US cotton at JC Penny, but they were not fieldcrest. The Egyptian cotton seemed too stiff to me.

Beowoulf
Thu, May-20-2004, 07:53:31 AM
Look at my guide on this thread: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=17044&highlight=Car+week

CELICA414
Fri, May-21-2004, 02:43:37 AM
I just bought the towels. I don't know if they are the right thing. They are cannon 100% cotton but they only cost like $4 at Macy's. I also picked up a fieldcrest 100% cotton at Bed Bath & Beyond for $15. I don't know which to use. They both feel the same, and i'd rather pay $4 and return the one to Bed Bath & Beyond. I mean, if the label says 100% cotton, it must be 100% cotton right? It shouldn't scratch the car right? I'm paranoid now, i've never used towels to wash my car with before. I hope this is the right thing to do and that I don't regret it.

323i_newbie
Sat, May-22-2004, 12:44:27 PM
They should be the same. Maybe Macy's was trying to get rid of their inventory. If you are that nervous about it, use the $15 towels. You can't get a new paint job for $11. Another thing to look at is the individual threads on the towel. They should form a loop and not be cut. The cut ones, I have read, will cause tiny scratches from where the thread has frayed. This is more common in microfiber towels.

CELICA414
Sun, May-23-2004, 12:02:34 AM
Yeah, both towels have the loops. I think i'll keep the ones from Macy's. I'll be washing and waxing all day Tuesday, i'll let everyone know what I think. I'm excited to try everything though. Should be interesting.

Grzldvt
Sun, May-23-2004, 11:22:46 PM
Your cotton towels must be made in the USA. Generally, cotton towels made in a foreign country have a nap of cotton with the backing/borders being synthetic. Even if you cut the borders, the backing is still exposed and causing swirls.
So, make sure you read the labels. Towels made in the USA and labelled as 100% cotton, MUST be 100% cotton. Foreign made towels don't have the restriction
I have been using and now sell a 100% cotton Microfiber towel. These are extremely soft and very durable. I suspect Sal will be adding these to his towel recommendation.

CELICA414
Mon, May-24-2004, 01:24:23 AM
2 more questions:
1. I have never used Zaino before. Now after I wash my car with dawn, should I spray with z6 or should I begin to wax with the z-2 /zfx first and than apply z6?
2. After the dawn wash, should I wash again with z-7 , or can I just start to wax?

Grzldvt
Mon, May-24-2004, 04:09:02 AM
You can spray with Z-6, or you can wash with Z-7 both methods help the surface be a touch slicker and make the polish easier to apply.
Since you are not claying the car, you can start polishing right after your Dawn wash. After removing the polish, go over the car with Z-6. I also use Z-6 after every wash.
Something that is missed by most people, when using ZFX, you can apply it in a swirling motion, BUT finish in a straight line. Back to front on the horizontal surfaces, and up and down on the vertical surfaces.
Your first coat will consume more product than your second, and your second will consume a touch more than the 3rd, etc.
If you are running short of polish on the coat you are applying, you can add a touch more polish to the the mix and add another drop of ZFX.
Remember VERY THIN COATS, barely visible. In my demo yesterday, I used a dime size drop to cover over a 1/3 of the hood.

CELICA414
Mon, May-24-2004, 04:23:40 AM
You can spray with Z-6, or you can wash with Z-7 both methods help the surface be a touch slicker and make the polish easier to apply.
Since you are not claying the car, you can start polishing right after your Dawn wash. After removing the polish, go over the car with Z-6. I also use Z-6 after every wash.
Something that is missed by most people, when using ZFX, you can apply it in a swirling motion, BUT finish in a straight line. Back to front on the horizontal surfaces, and up and down on the vertical surfaces.
Your first coat will consume more product than your second, and your second will consume a touch more than the 3rd, etc.
If you are running short of polish on the coat you are applying, you can add a touch more polish to the the mix and add another drop of ZFX.
Remember VERY THIN COATS, barely visible. In my demo yesterday, I used a dime size drop to over a 1/3 of the hood.
Thank you for the advice. I'm very excited about trying this. I think i've got it now. Can't wait!!