Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : gunk build up on battery terminal.

Z rated
Thu, May-06-2004, 06:45:10 AM
On my other car, an older 98 model, i have this white gunk built up on the negative terminal of my battery. I heard that using earm water and either baking powder or bakin soda. Does anyone know which it is?
Thanks, oh and what the hell is that stuff?

Z rated
Fri, May-07-2004, 12:46:48 AM
c'mon guys i gotta show this pioece of junk to someone today and im sure there gonna wanna look under the hood. Im sure seeing a bunch of jizz on the battery isnt gonna look good.

Z rated
Fri, May-07-2004, 06:25:32 AM
well thanks a lot guys, i ended up just using baking powder and warm water. It worked perfectly no thanks to you ppl!! :D

BaDm0theR
Fri, May-07-2004, 02:38:06 PM
Sorry for not answering your question a little earlier Zrated, havent checked the forums in quite a while.

Here's what i found:
"Cleaning Battery Terminals:

Spray the battery terminals with a sodium bicarbonate spray (essentially baking soda); wait for a minute or so and the corrosion will be naturalized.
Use a stiff nylon brush to remove debris
Remove battery cables and retaining strap and soak them in a baking soda solution to clean them (you will need to reprogram the stereo presets once cleaning is completed)
Apply an anti-corrosion sealant on the terminals.
Install a set of the anti-corrosion (coloured red and green) they contain an acid neutralizer that prevents future corrosion on the terminals."

You already seem to have found a solution similar to this though, so good work!

:D

Z rated
Fri, May-07-2004, 08:56:09 PM
heh, thanks BaD, my solution seems a bit less complicated than yours, but im sure yours works just as wel :D
1. take a bunch of baking podwer with spoon, put it in water bottle, try not to spill too much cause mom will ***** about it.
2. Put 90% of the water on stove that mom was waiting to boill so she could make her tea into water bottle.
3. Find keys to the neglected car that no one drives anymore and just takes up space in the driveway.
4.Open hood and pour water onto nasty battery terminal.
5. Throw water bottle over gate into neighbors bushes.

Sirius
Sat, May-08-2004, 01:00:53 AM
well thanks a lot guys, i ended up just using baking powder and warm water. It worked perfectly no thanks to you ppl!! :D

Lol. You ass. :tongue:

You could also use coke, its acidic properties cleans that stuff off well. And then when you're done, you can drink the left overs!