Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : HELP!!! 2 Dime size chips across hoods...I hate other drivers

Grimm333
Wed, May-05-2004, 09:15:39 PM
Well I was on my way to work today and i am driving on the local expressway on 294 and out of no where a giant rock nails my hood in two spots. The size of the chips are the size of dimes...literally.

Now i have the touch-up and clear coat but these arent just little rock chips. What is the best way about going about repairing this???

I could go with BMW dealer or go with a body shop to paint but the paint might not match or claim it through insurance and pay a deductible...

Thanks!!!

I will have pics up by tonight...

coldsteele35
Wed, May-05-2004, 09:22:29 PM
Man that sucks if it were me I would have it professionally done that sounds like a lot of damage to fix with a paint pen especially on a area so visible as the hood!

Beowoulf
Wed, May-05-2004, 09:54:59 PM
Too big to DIY unless you are very good at it. Take it to a pro.

Sirius
Wed, May-05-2004, 10:22:03 PM
That sucks man. :(

You can at least fill it in with the color to make it less noticable, and to prevent rusting. Somethign that big though, you need paint.

Where are the chips at? If they are towards the middle you're lucky. If you get it painted, since you have flat black, you won't have to blend your fenders, rucing the amount of paint needed. Black is a rather good color to get a good match with also.

Any reputiable shop should be able to match the paint. Typical repair in MY area for that hood is around $600. So, going the insurance route may be an option.

That price also revolves around a couple hours of repair time to repair any damage that may have been dealt to the hood from the impact.

Grimm333
Wed, May-05-2004, 11:19:22 PM
Damn i think i am giong to try to have noe of my friends touch it up. Good thing my CF hood is getting installed soon.

Sirius
Thu, May-06-2004, 02:20:11 AM
Damn i think i am giong to try to have noe of my friends touch it up. Good thing my CF hood is getting installed soon.

Ahh heheh, then just throw some touchup in there and call it a day. Got pics yet?

Grimm333
Thu, May-06-2004, 03:18:22 AM
Not yet...still waiting to get home from work :(

CosmosNight
Thu, May-06-2004, 04:39:46 AM
So a body shop doesnt charge you a crazy amount see if they can dab clear in the chips sand it down and then buff it out that depends how far it chipped though. ;)