Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : California Water Blade on Dark Color paint?

///Mperor
Sat, May-01-2004, 07:42:17 PM
I bought the California Water Blade to use on my jet black M. When I washed it the other day, after rinsing there were droplets of water, and some non-wet paint. When I went to wipe it off with the blade, it seems to stick to the paint and makes a scary noise like it's going to scratch the paint...so I stopped using it.

Anybody have experience using it on black or other dark colors? Does it leave scratches?

Sirius
Sat, May-01-2004, 08:03:16 PM
When I use it, I only use it for the inital drying part. Then I do the rest with a chamois. Reason being: Same as yours, the water acts like 'lube', allowing the blade to glide across it, when it catches dry paint, it'll rub... eh...

323i_newbie
Sun, May-02-2004, 02:39:15 AM
Those water blades worry me. Like you said if you hit some dry paint it sounds terrrible. I am no detailing professional, but my order of preference for drying is as follows: 1) Mr. Clean Autodry, 2) Leaf blower, 3) Microfiber or cotton towel.

STALKER
Sun, May-02-2004, 06:07:40 PM
My car is Topaz, so its dark. Like Sirius said, I also use it to initially dry it off and finish with something else. Its great for the hood, roof, and trunk, and the glass. I use it right after rinsing though so as to not let the water dry so there is blenty of water to act as a sort of lubricant. Its a great product IMO.

Z rated
Thu, May-06-2004, 06:43:16 AM
Exactly what everyone else said. Ill use it maybe 1/2 of the times i wash my car. And i only do it to get some water off and make it easier on the chamois so im not flinging it around my head to dry it off so often :D (btw thats the best way i find to dry my leather chamois) i hate using it on a dryed surface. So i might just give the hood like 3 or 4 sweeps. Leaving water in between the sweeps as so the blade doesnt touch any dry paint.

NRG
Thu, May-06-2004, 08:08:07 AM
use a couple of sheepskin chamois. you'll be good to go with those. :beer: :beer:

///Mperor
Fri, May-07-2004, 10:55:20 PM
use a couple of sheepskin chamois. you'll be good to go with those. :beer: :beer:

I've heard from a few people that the sheepskin chamois can scratch the paint. Sal Zaino would cough up a lung if he knew I took a sheepskin chamois to my paint :tongue: .

Sirius
Sat, May-08-2004, 01:01:47 AM
My neighbors already think I am crazy that I spend 2 hours every weekend cleaning my car. If I suddenly appeard outside with a leaf blower.....

paul e
Mon, May-10-2004, 04:10:50 PM
Its too easy for any telltale dust on the blade, or elsewhere, when dragged across the paint, to leave fineline, parallel scratches in the clear. Not worth it.. .I dont use the chamois approach anymore either. Ever notice how a good one will create 'suction' with the paint? Then pulling it across the surface will tend to remove the wax layer.

Best, Ive found, is one of those large, quality, waffleweave Micro Fiber drying towels.. Im able to do the entire car without ringing dry, and, its by far the best product to rub across your paint.

M34U2NV
Mon, May-10-2004, 04:58:03 PM
I use the cali blade for the big amounts of water, like most have said. I first ALWAYS look it over, and actually wash the blade tip with my mitt, then rinse it off, just to make sure there are no contaminents on it that may scratch.

Then after most of the water is gone, I take out the Absorber to finish up, works great! :thumbsup:

In case you haven't heard of the absorber, here's a link for it:

http://theabsorber.com/home.html

-Frank

Turbologist
Thu, May-13-2004, 02:12:02 PM
M34U2NV: Thats exactly my process also....:D

If you hold the CWB at a slight angle that seems to help also....Using it for the initial stages of drying the car and then move on to a WW or Absorber and pat dry your paint will be fine...