Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : amazing amount of M3's in Atlanta

smg007
Fri, Apr-09-2004, 08:47:44 PM
I have seen no less than 30 M3's(mostly black and silver grey on 18's ) in the last week and 5 in one night while cruising to the beach last week ? whats up with that . I havent seen many on this board from hotlanta so i guess these people are not addicted to the M3 forum and or do not know it exists ? I know one thing , when they hear me roar up on the azz they all look to see what the hell it is , and then look suprised to see a fellow M driver as i smoke by :pee:

C5&M3
Fri, Apr-09-2004, 10:13:49 PM
I have seen no less than 30 M3's(mostly black and silver grey on 18's ) in the last week and 5 in one night while cruising to the beach last week ? whats up with that . I havent seen many on this board from hotlanta so i guess these people are not addicted to the M3 forum and or do not know it exists ? I know one thing , when they hear me roar up on the azz they all look to see what the hell it is , and then look suprised to see a fellow M driver as i smoke by :pee:

We lived in Atlanta for 14 years until very recently. I did see a fair number. The combination of being able to drive them year round and the relative wealth in that area means there will be a lot of nice cars. Outside of something like LA, the collection of Mercedes, Audi, BMWs, Jags, Porsche, even Ferrari is staggering.

Micah Cranman
Fri, Apr-09-2004, 10:32:32 PM
I know what you mean. I live in East Cobb (Northwest Atlanta) and because of the high level of wealth out here, you'll see M3's everywhere. I usually see 3 or 4 brand new ones every day.

There is actually quite a community here in Atlanta, but mostly guys with E36 M3's. If you want to get together with us sometime, you should check out the Atlanta Regional Forum at www.bimmerforums.com. We usually have at least 30-40 cars at our monthly meets.

C5&M3
Fri, Apr-09-2004, 10:59:43 PM
Thanks. I lived in Alpharetta and then Forsyth County. We actually are now in Ohio in the Delware area (outside Dublin). There are nowhere near as many BMWs to start with and I have not seen another M3 yet. But, I expect they come out as the weather gets better, to the degree they do exist. Moving up here with the snow, we have a Jetta GLI and just got a Saturn VUE Red Line for fun driving in the inclement weather.

Micah Cranman
Fri, Apr-09-2004, 11:09:24 PM
I suspect even with the warmer weather your car will still be an exceptional rarity. That area isn't exactly the booming economic area that Atlanta has become (no offense).

Enjoy the rarity of your car and playing in the winter weather with your new cars. By the way, been curious about that Saturn. I don't think I'd ever own one (no reason to), but seems like a neat little car. How's GM's latest offering in terms of drivability?

C5&M3
Sat, Apr-10-2004, 01:24:46 AM
No offense taken...........actually, the Dublin area is pretty affluent. I would compare it to Alpharetta. It is smaller but there is no shortage of money.

The Red Line is actually pretty decent. I have the AWD version. They have the Honda 3.5l with the Honda 5 speed. 250 hp and a 3600 pound car yields high 6's for 0-60. It has 18" wheels, a bit over an inch lower (sits 7" off the ground), revalved struts, shocks, stiffer springs, sway bars, independent f & r, recalibrated steering. I have the leather interior, power seats, heated seats, sunroof, upgraded sound system with subwoofer, side curtain air bags, etc. Total cost $29,500. It is fun to accelerate away from lights and go into turns and watch peoples' faces. It is quick and does not lean.

Micah Cranman
Sat, Apr-10-2004, 01:58:09 AM
Well I'll just go ahead and take my foot out of my mouth now...

That Red Line sounds like a fun little car. :) Bit of a porker, though! I wouldn't expect it to be anywhere near that heavy.

Mike
Sat, Apr-10-2004, 03:13:10 AM
Today, I was visiting a friend in Jacksonville who just recently spent an extended amount of time in Atlanta. Our first topic of conversation was the number of E46 M3s and BMWs overall in the Atlanta area. He too said that in all of his travels in the United States he has never seen so many M3s.

I live in Atlanta, own a TiSilver E46 M3 and am an active member of the Peachtree Chapter BMW Car Club of America. There are several members who show up to meetings in their M3s. Do any who have posted attend the BMWCCA meetings in Atlanta?

C5&M3
Sat, Apr-10-2004, 12:49:26 PM
Micah, yes but weight is relative. For example, I test drove a Touareg V6 a few weeks back with the 3.2L. Really great car...........but, it was lethargic. I found out that it weighs in excess of 5,000 lbs and appears to have less leg room and interior room than the VUE. And, it has 220-230 hp or thereabouts. The 3.5l in the VUE is essentially the same engine Honda puts in their Pilot and Acura MDX and I believe they go in the low to mid 4,000's. So, by comparison.............in fact, we had a 2000 Audi S4 and as I recall it went in the 3500+/- range in weight. Now, one can say that the S4 was also the most powerful 250hp that anyone ever drove (performance numbers seemed to yield an estimated hp of more like 290+). My only point being that with the hp, AWD, etc, I am amazed they did it for so low a weight. Regardless, got it to be a fun car to drive as a commuter with the ability to haul stuff around the house. Catback is coming soon, CAI, etc.

Micah Cranman
Sun, Apr-11-2004, 04:25:32 PM
Mike, there a few folks that are CCA members, but most of the guys we see come to the monthly meets that M3 motorwerks hosts. I'm not sure if there's a big crossover between the M3 motorwerks meets and the BMWCCA in this area.

C5&M3, you're absolutely right about the weight thing. I couple of months ago I was on I-85 very late at night coming home from visiting a friend, and I spotted a guy and his friend in a red E36, no badging. The thing was loud, had pillar gauges, and the guy and his friend were in race buckets.

I'm in my 96 M3, at this point only and intake and exhaust, and this guy is BEGGING me to play with him a little bit. So we do a couple of runs, slowing down to 50 (no traffic at all) and running the cars up to 90, and much to my surprise, he was keeping up! I knew this car wasnt an M since there was no rear diffuser (he had the front) or the M trim kit.

Anyway, we pulled off after a couple of runs and talked about it, and it turned out all he had was an intake and straight exhaust. But his entire interior was gutted! Race seats, no carpet, door panels, insulation, rear seats, etc. Basically, he had removed all the creature comforts from the car (A/C was gone, too). And he was keeping up with car with over 50 more ponies than he had AND better gearing.

Yep, weight savings can be huge.

BradATL
Sun, Apr-11-2004, 08:10:38 PM
I live in Atlanta, own a TiSilver E46 M3 and am an active member of the Peachtree Chapter BMW Car Club of America. There are several members who show up to meetings in their M3s. Do any who have posted attend the BMWCCA meetings in Atlanta?

I am a member of the club and have attended several of the club's drivers schools at Road Atlanta (although none in my M3). Planning to register for the July school.

markb50k
Tue, Apr-20-2004, 08:45:04 PM
I am also a BMWCCA member but I dont attend many of the CCA meetings. This is mainly due to the fact that the Bimmerforums BMW group meet so regularly and do so many fun things that there not alot of need to attend the CCA stuff.

And the E46 contingent of the Bimmerforums group is much larger now, still alot of E36 M3'ers but now alot more E46s. Definitely look us up.

Ced
Thu, Apr-22-2004, 05:08:31 AM
I really enjoyed the Winery Run in Nov of last year; I even won a raffle drawing prize from the tirerack ;) Wassup Micah?

lousmaen2
Tue, Aug-23-2005, 02:13:20 AM
hey CR I live in GV/Downtown Columbus and there are more and more E46's driving around. I used to be the only one, but in the last couple months, i have seen at least 5 in German Village.

I used to live in Atlanta and am looking at moving back. While i appreciate other owners and thier tastes, i kinda like the sense of exclusivity i have njoyed up here.