Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Water spots

Cyg
Thu, Apr-08-2004, 02:00:29 PM
How do I remove water spots from the paint?

icode4food
Thu, Apr-08-2004, 02:04:11 PM
Clay bar! JK. Thats my answer for everything :) But if the spots are caused by acid rain then the clay bar would actually help. Have you tried waxing? Water spots are a nuissance.

W0lfgang
Thu, Apr-08-2004, 02:05:27 PM
It depends if they're water spots or acid rain that had time to etch itself into the paint or clear coat. One sure way to tell is to use a clay bar. The clay bar removes everything from the paint without damaging it.

Cyg
Thu, Apr-08-2004, 02:08:24 PM
I rinsed the car, after driving in rain, but did not dry it. Noticed the water spots day after.
Washing the car did not totally remove the spots. However, I am not applying any pressure to the microfiber towel when washing - dont want swirls.

coldsteele35
Thu, Apr-08-2004, 02:13:20 PM
These really **** to remove, I have tried vinegar and water in a 50:50 mix it works somewhat, but its not perfect and does take a little time. Another way is to buff your car, but I get a little nervous doing this as you can do serious paint swirls if you are not careful or don't know what you are doing.

I tell you the best trick is to avoid it happening, don't drive in the rain when it will be sunny later ie: thunderstorms, wash car in shade/garage and dry immediatly, and dont ever ever ever ever let your car get spinkled on by someone watering thier lawn this is the worst case scenerio!

DCLeopard91
Thu, Apr-08-2004, 02:34:08 PM
Clay bar! JK. Thats my answer for everything :) But if the spots are caused by acid rain then the clay bar would actually help. Have you tried waxing? Water spots are a nuissance.

where would one purchase said clay bar?

Cyg
Thu, Apr-08-2004, 02:35:53 PM

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-18

W0lfgang
Thu, Apr-08-2004, 02:36:34 PM

Try PEP BOYS or AutoZone. You could also order it online from www.properautocare.com. They're very quick with shipping!

prvtartnet
Thu, Apr-08-2004, 03:43:41 PM
How do I remove water spots from the paint?

Don't get them in the first place. Use the Mr. Clean Autowash System. No more spots. $20 at Target.

M320Psi
Thu, Apr-08-2004, 04:56:21 PM
Any polish should take off regular water spots

Beowoulf
Thu, Apr-08-2004, 05:53:21 PM
Clay bar is your first choice then move up to more abrasive polishes.

Beowoulf
Thu, Apr-08-2004, 06:23:03 PM
I forgot, as Wolfgang mentioned you can get it at pepboys and such. The Zaino one is the same as the mother's clay bar. They are all pretty much the same. Use soapy water in a spray bottle to lubricate.

Cyg
Thu, Apr-08-2004, 06:29:23 PM
Thanks all - I will claybar it & break out the Porter Cable.

mortbike
Fri, Apr-09-2004, 04:59:36 AM
just a suggestion when washing your car , go to a r.v. parts store and purchase a culligan soft water filter that fits on the end of your hose it is only about 1 foot in length by 3 inches in dia. i have used this set up here in so.cal were we have hard nasty water, works wonders, also use to mix your soap, and even attach to pressure washer. zero water spots!

prvtartnet
Fri, Apr-09-2004, 05:09:26 AM
just a suggestion when washing your car , go to a r.v. parts store and purchase a culligan soft water filter that fits on the end of your hose it is only about 1 foot in length by 3 inches in dia. i have used this set up here in so.cal were we have hard nasty water, works wonders, also use to mix your soap, and even attach to pressure washer. zero water spots!

Thanks for the tip. I'll check this out. I use Mr. Clean Autowash for my soft water rinse but each filter is only good for about 6 washes. :thumbsup:

Sirius
Fri, Apr-09-2004, 10:32:32 AM
As mentioned above, a good cleaner wax should get the spots off. Water spots are also caused by hard water....

Ninja K
Sat, Apr-10-2004, 03:12:40 PM
As mentioned above, a good cleaner wax should get the spots off. Water spots are also caused by hard water....
Yeah, it's hard water that mainly causes them....if it's such a problem go buy shares in Evian, then buy crap loads of bottles to wash the car down with....Then sell the shares...:D

Beowoulf
Sat, Apr-10-2004, 04:34:26 PM

I would stay away from cleaner waxes. A product that does both is never as good as 2 seperate products. It is like a shampoo and conditioner in one.

Z rated
Mon, Apr-19-2004, 11:50:14 PM
I hate that mr clean crap, sure it works, but you end up wasting more time trying to cover the car with the wimpy "spray" if it can even be called spray its more like a misting. That spray that you see in commercials is just regular water. You gota turn the dial and then it comes out of a completely different nozzle type thing at the front. Then you gotta go and spray every crevice and get all the "regular" water off. Youre better off just drying with a chamois. Maybe they should mention how shitty the product is on the commercial

Cyg
Tue, Apr-20-2004, 12:19:19 AM
z-rated. dunno man.. it works for me, altough I do use a chamois to dry of the 'fine spray' water afterwards. I think that it actually dries easier.

Problem is that this thing goes through soap so quickly. I may start using it just for the fine water spray & use the bucket&soap method to wash.

I also just picked up a calif. waterblade & will try that in combination.

prvtartnet
Tue, Apr-20-2004, 12:33:13 AM
z-rated. dunno man.. it works for me, altough I do use a chamois to dry of the 'fine spray' water afterwards. I think that it actually dries easier.

Problem is that this thing goes through soap so quickly. I may start using it just for the fine water spray & use the bucket&soap method to wash.

I also just picked up a calif. waterblade & will try that in combination.

Me too. It works great for me. I just used my leaf blower after the mist and it was great. I blew all the water out the seams, gills, wheels, mirrors, etc. A few minutes of wiping down with my chamois and done. :D

Z rated
Tue, Apr-20-2004, 02:34:54 AM
It works, im not doubting that, but i dont see a point in going over the car with the mist to try to remove all the regular water, and especially since you guys go and use a chamois anyways. Wow how do you put up with that? I use a chamoise only and get the exact same results, and probably takes even less time. as for the soap that they included, im not gonna trust that crap on my M. I used it once and didnt think twice about using a bucket. I did exactly what i always do, except to finish it off i sprayed the car down with the "special" water. But i really need to get a air compressor. Whats even better though is ripping down the highway at 160+ km's
that really dries up the car nicely.

prvtartnet
Tue, Apr-20-2004, 05:52:47 AM
It works, im not doubting that, but i dont see a point in going over the car with the mist to try to remove all the regular water, and especially since you guys go and use a chamois anyways. Wow how do you put up with that? I use a chamoise only and get the exact same results, and probably takes even less time. as for the soap that they included, im not gonna trust that crap on my M. I used it once and didnt think twice about using a bucket. I did exactly what i always do, except to finish it off i sprayed the car down with the "special" water. But i really need to get a air compressor. Whats even better though is ripping down the highway at 160+ km's
that really dries up the car nicely.

People told me you were a streaker but you seemed like such a straight up guy to me. :D

Z rated
Tue, Apr-20-2004, 09:35:48 PM
^ LoL WhAAAAT? i dont understand :???:
should i feel insulted by that comment? Im dumbfounded :hmm:

prvtartnet
Tue, Apr-20-2004, 10:23:56 PM
^ LoL WhAAAAT? i dont understand :???:
should i feel insulted by that comment? Im dumbfounded :hmm:

Chill Brother,

I just thought your novel 160 MPH drying method would leave a lot of streaks! :D

Z rated
Tue, Apr-20-2004, 11:16:26 PM
ohhhh i get it now, and i wasnt freakin out before at all, just laughed, and then got realy confused. :beer:
and the 160km drying method was actually better than any other drying ive done before, be it with a chamois or jet dry. :D