Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Nappa leather care questions

r1mr2t
Thu, Mar-25-2004, 04:42:03 PM
i have been doing research on leather care...i understand that for leather, we need both cleaner and conditioner. I read that zaino products are one of the best out there. Zaino offer Z-10 for leather care.

My questions are:
How often should i clean and condition my leather? every month? 3 months? 6 months? etc.
Z-10 is a cleaner or a conditioner? or both?
What are the steps or procedures i need to take when cleaning and condition my leather?
where can i buy zaino products?

Thank you,
John

SpecialK
Thu, Mar-25-2004, 05:08:30 PM
John,
I strictly use Leatherique at www.leatherique.com. Some may beg to differ, but prior to using it I researched many. It contains natural oils and no parafine which can clog the pores of the leather resulting in premature decomposition of the material. It is not a cream . . . it's oil and is absorbed very well. Leatherique is supposed to be the premier restoration gurus and quite frankly I found it hard to argue with their logic and pictures. I called as well. The kit is a bargain and goes a long way. I did my interior, a 7' couch, a large chair, ottoman, and a variety of other leather goods before I ran out of 16oz. The lightly cracked areas are now restored. They look a bit aged because they are, but are now very supple to the touch and look much better than the before picture would have. You rub it in with your hands and it works wonders. In short - you appply it, close up the doors and windows on the car and let it heat up in the sun for about three hours. My daughter spilled juice not long ago (black interior so not really too big of a deal) and it repelled nicely. Long enogh for me to snatch a towel out of the trunk and dab it up. I went over the area with their cleaner (comes in the kit) and got back to the business of driving for pleasure. Hope that helps. Good luck.

fcboarder1
Thu, Mar-25-2004, 05:22:48 PM
Special k, you said you have black leather. I have found that it is a bi tch to clean because it always looks streaky and blotchy after cleaning. The only way ive found to use leather cleaner is if i wipe it down like a bastard with a clean cloth after using the cleaner, other than that i just try to use a damp cloth, which is queer. If you or anyone has this problem and any suggestions, let me know.

SpecialK
Thu, Mar-25-2004, 05:31:04 PM
The key is using your hands, dwell time in the sun for absorption, and patience. If you have that problem still, call them up and see what advice they can lend you. I also use a spray bottle for application so it doesn't amass in one spot too thick. I put a treatment on late yesterday and was in it this morning and it absorbed very well streak free. I would just give them a ring and see what they have to say.

Special k, you said you have black leather. I have found that it is a bi tch to clean because it always looks streaky and blotchy after cleaning. The only way ive found to use leather cleaner is if i wipe it down like a bastard with a clean cloth after using the cleaner, other than that i just try to use a damp cloth, which is queer. If you or anyone has this problem and any suggestions, let me know.

Turbologist
Thu, Mar-25-2004, 05:33:00 PM
I too use Leathertique which is an excellent product....

fcboarder1: You are doing it correctly....I just use a MF towel and buff after I am through cleaning and the seats have had time to dry..

kregu
Thu, Mar-25-2004, 05:58:27 PM
does anybody know where to get leatherique in Europe??
gk

SpecialK
Thu, Mar-25-2004, 06:05:15 PM
There is no store or retail outlet, factory direct sales only. Mail order by downloading the mail in form at the below web address. Not sure what the country code from the UK to US is, but you can always call.

LEATHERIQUE
106 Englewood Road Aiken S.C. 29803
Voice. (877)395-3366. Fax. (803) 648-4522
http://www.leatherique.com/ordering.htm

does anybody know where to get leatherique in Europe??
gk

kregu
Thu, Mar-25-2004, 06:12:58 PM
Thanx specialK
but which one of all those leatherique products do you use? (for new seats)
rejuvinator oil?
prestine clean?
leatherique dye?
crack filler or what??

farjo08
Thu, Mar-25-2004, 06:45:01 PM
I recently bought the kit which contains the Oil Rejuvinator and the Pristine Clean and I am very pleased with the results.

I applied the Oil Rejuvinator and then the pristine clean, wiping down with a Microfiber detailing towel.

I would recommend getting the kit as well as you want to make sure that your leather is clean, but you also want to make sure it does not dry out and crack so you really need both products.

There are directions on their website for the application of both.

Cruzer
Thu, Mar-25-2004, 06:54:35 PM
I tried to order online and they will not ship to an APO zip code....any ideas?

SpecialK
Thu, Mar-25-2004, 07:22:31 PM
Which APO are you Pacific or Atlantic? Pacific put your zip w/ San Fransisco, Atlantic, put it w/ NYC. I've done this many times and businesses think that they will have to pay more to ship to an APO which is in no way the case. Once it arrives at the distribution center, the military picks up the shipping dime.

SpecialK
Thu, Mar-25-2004, 07:27:42 PM
Like he said, Pristine Clean and the Rejuvinator Oil. I recommend the 32oz kit to save you since you are in the UK, or you can go the extra mile (km in your case) and get the gallon kit. The dye and crack filler don't come into play unless you are trying to salvage a sun-beaten and rotting interior. Cheers!

Thanx specialK
but which one of all those leatherique products do you use? (for new seats)
rejuvinator oil?
prestine clean?
leatherique dye?
crack filler or what??

Cruzer
Thu, Mar-25-2004, 09:58:20 PM
Which APO are you Pacific or Atlantic? Pacific put your zip w/ San Fransisco, Atlantic, put it w/ NYC. I've done this many times and businesses think that they will have to pay more to ship to an APO which is in no way the case. Once it arrives at the distribution center, the military picks up the shipping dime.

I tried all and still no luck with that company....

BTW, I have being in Germany only for 12 years, in and out....

r1mr2t
Thu, Mar-25-2004, 10:10:11 PM
guys...can we focus on the questions:

How often should i clean and condition my leather? every month? 3 months? 6 months? etc.
What are the steps or procedures i need to take when cleaning and condition my leather?

Thanks,
John

SpecialK
Fri, Mar-26-2004, 01:21:57 AM
www.zainobros.com care and ordering instructions are self explanitory. As for cleaning intervals, it depends on a lot of variables, daily driver, or not, kids, or not, light color leather, or dark, the list goes on. Up to your personal attention to detail when it all boils down to it. You are King in this instance and can make all the rules.

guys...can we focus on the questions:

Thanks,
John

ZQQM3R
Fri, Mar-26-2004, 03:57:54 AM

Cruzer, u get on the phone and tell them that the reason u have an APO address is because you're overseas defending our freedom and all u want is some fricking leather conditioner. :bang:

kregu
Fri, Mar-26-2004, 08:05:17 AM
thanx farjo08 :thumbsup:
gk

r1mr2t
Fri, Mar-26-2004, 02:58:07 PM
Thanks guys!

John

emdreiSMG
Fri, Mar-26-2004, 06:24:25 PM
I've tried Lexol, Zaino, Coach and Liqui-Tech products on the lather in my Ferrari with decent results. However I was recently turned on to a leather product called Boehms. (do a google, I don't know where my detailer got it). It does not produce a sheen on the leather at all. This is desirable to me because I see used M3's all the time with shiny looking leather. IMO brand-new M3 leather, with it's matte finish, is how I want to keep mine looking as long as possible.