Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : A short review of Mr Clean Auto Dry wash with pics.

M34U2NV
Wed, Mar-24-2004, 09:34:23 PM
Hey all,

I decided to put the new Auto Dry wash from Mr clean to a pretty tough test today. Last night I picked up the kit for $19.99 at a local supermarket(yes they actually had it there). I've heard pretty good thind about it, so decided to buy, and try it out. I washed my 2002 escalade, which is black, IN THE SUN, to see how it really worked. I know, it's not smart washing in the sun, but the car was so dirty, anything would look better than it did in that state. In my opinion, and probably most people's opinion, black is the most difficult color to get looking great, and have 0 spots(especially when washing/drying in the sun). I followed the directions pretty carefully, and began to wash. First negative I noticed was that the blue hose attachment spray seems pretty big to quickly whirl around, and seemed like it wasn't cooperating with the hose spinning around, kinda annoying. On the positive side, I liked the smell of the soap, and it did a great job and took off bugs with relative ease, pretty impressive. During the wash I was begining to notice something that might be a problem later on; it appears as if this stuff was taking off my previous waz and rainX applications, but I haven't tested them both to find out for sure yet. I finish rinsing the car, then I use their special rinse cycle, which filters the water out. I instantly started to notice the car drying, it was truly remarkable! I did not TOUCH a water blade or absorber to the car, and in minutes, it was bone dry, very sweet!! So overall, I have to say that yes, it does work as advertised, but the one drawback being possibly that the special soap they use may strip your wax.

Here are some pictures, post wash/dry:

-Frank

Tpb31
Wed, Mar-24-2004, 10:22:06 PM
that might be somethign to waste $20 on, thanks for the review

M34U2NV
Wed, Mar-24-2004, 10:36:12 PM
I should also mention, that little resevoir of soap takes like half the bottle they give u. . .but it was more than enough to wash the whole escalade; it would probably be enough to use like to of that amount to wash a small car like the M3.

-Frank

Z rated
Thu, Mar-25-2004, 10:06:07 PM
do you really have to use the soap they give u? Cant you just spray the car down, use a sponge with a bucket of soap and water filled using the thing, and then when youre done scruubbing down, just rinse with plain water?

blackslade02
Fri, Mar-26-2004, 02:45:07 AM
Hey>......another Board Member With An 02 Escalade..

M34U2NV
Fri, Mar-26-2004, 02:52:19 AM
do you really have to use the soap they give u? Cant you just spray the car down, use a sponge with a bucket of soap and water filled using the thing, and then when youre done scruubbing down, just rinse with plain water?

Here is a quote from the manual it comes with:

"Never use any car wash soap, dish soap, or any other cleaning agent other than Mr. Clean AutoDry Soap. They can clog the device(bullsh!t), and they don't contain the Dry Rinse Polymer(theres the difference) which is the first part of the spot free finish."

I hope that answered your question. What I will do, once the Mr Clean stuff runs out, I'm going to use my zymol wash in there, and see what happens just to make sure.

-Frank

M34U2NV
Fri, Mar-26-2004, 02:53:10 AM
Hey>......another Board Member With An 02 Escalade..

Whats up man. . .I like my lade, great car ain't it, for a totally different reason.

-Frank

M34U2NV
Fri, Mar-26-2004, 03:01:14 AM
Sorry for the excessive posting. . .but I found the answer to the "wax stripping" question. It was in the FAQ section of the manual from which I quoted from 2 posts ago.

"Why are water beads not forming after I rinse?
Does this strip wax?
Mr. Clean AutoDry car wash does not strip wax. The sheeting action of the Dry Rinse Polymer works with the Mr. Clean AutoDry Filter so that a thin layer of de-ionized water is left on the car's surface, which will quickly evaporate, leaving a spot-free result. Next time it rains, the bead will be back - and you get to wash again!"

I should read more often, imagine the possibilities!!

-Frank

Casador24
Fri, Mar-26-2004, 06:25:29 PM
I have been wanting to try this out for a while now, so whats the final verdict? Get it or pass? Thanks.

Daft
Fri, Mar-26-2004, 07:01:55 PM
I bought this yesterday at CrappyTire for $30 CAD. Haven't tested it ooT yet cuz my car isn't in need of a wash. I hope it doesn't strip my Zaino..

M34U2NV
Sat, Mar-27-2004, 06:11:30 AM
I have been wanting to try this out for a while now, so whats the final verdict? Get it or pass? Thanks.

I think overall, they say it doesn't strip your wax, so thats the main thing I was concerned with. . .

I think it's so easy to use, and would take a car like the M3 like, 15min to wash, then u dont have to TOUCH a chamois or absorber or waterblade, I think it is worth it for the 20.

Give it a shot, lemme know how it works out.

-Frank

blackslade02
Sat, Mar-27-2004, 07:15:52 AM
Whats up man. . .I like my lade, great car ain't it, for a totally different reason.

-Frank

Love my lade too.. it is a great car.. and does haul ass for being 6k pounds ( and handles well)

is yours AWD or 2WD?

and yes it is for a totally different reason. :rockband:

04M3blur
Sat, Mar-27-2004, 01:29:31 PM
I definitely plan to give this a try. Sounds pretty easy and effective. :thumbsup:

M34U2NV
Sat, Mar-27-2004, 02:51:08 PM
Love my lade too.. it is a great car.. and does haul ass for being 6k pounds ( and handles well)

is yours AWD or 2WD?

and yes it is for a totally different reason. :rockband:

I have an AWD, I put a K&N drop in in it, I get 14.2mpg, seems pretty good too me, and yes it is QUICK for a behemoth.

As for the handling, well, I have to have my dramamine along for the ride with me, cuz I tend to get seasick from the wallowing. . .kiddin, it's not that bad, but I didn't get it for that.

-Frank

blackslade02
Sat, Mar-27-2004, 10:52:33 PM
I have an AWD, I put a K&N drop in in it, I get 14.2mpg, seems pretty good too me, and yes it is QUICK for a behemoth.

As for the handling, well, I have to have my dramamine along for the ride with me, cuz I tend to get seasick from the wallowing. . .kiddin, it's not that bad, but I didn't get it for that.

-Frank

i have awd as well. so all you put was a K& N filter and it got 14.2mpg.. im getting 11.9 right now.

as for the handling.. lol.. i didnt mean it was a racecar.. but it does well for its size

M34U2NV
Sun, Mar-28-2004, 05:53:57 AM
i have awd as well. so all you put was a K& N filter and it got 14.2mpg.. im getting 11.9 right now.

as for the handling.. lol.. i didnt mean it was a racecar.. but it does well for its size

I knew you weren't just playin with ya. . .but yea just drop in a K&N filter, part number 33-2135. . .or if you want a lil more power even, K&N came out with a Fuel Injection Performance Kit for it(FIPK, basically a cold air intake), that's part number 57-3023-1.

You should start to possibly get some mileage outta that drop in, it'll take some time. . .oh and the car will be LOUD when u first drop it in, really loud, then that'll even out.

-Frank

Extrav.Dreams
Wed, Mar-31-2004, 11:23:01 AM
so it comes with a car wash and then something that filters the water, or are these things bought seperatly. I'd imagine one would run out before the other.

04M3blur
Wed, Mar-31-2004, 11:55:01 AM
so it comes with a car wash and then something that filters the water, or are these things bought seperatly. I'd imagine one would run out before the other.

It comes with a starter bottle of soap and a filter, yes they get used up at different times and you can purchase them. See the web site for more info: www.autodry.com

Challenger 800
Thu, Apr-01-2004, 01:32:00 AM
They have this at Home Depot as well, matter of fact my Home Depot has a whole car care section :dance: I was there a few days ago and saw this Mr Cleanthingy and wanted to get it but the wife said i wasn't allowed cuz I had been a bad boy earlier and wasnt allowed to get anything :cry:. I do need it though due to the water in S. Fla has so many minerals in it , it is hell on your car if you dont dry right away. The mineral deposits will eat thru your paint if you leave em long enough.

micpun
Thu, Apr-01-2004, 02:05:32 PM
i went to go to walmart to check it out. i know some people paid 30 or even twenty bucks for it. but when i gone to get it, it was 15 bucks. so i was like "sure why not." i dont usually like to wash the car in the middle of the night but i had to try it. it didnt look to bad, but i had to wipe down the windows i guess the rain-x cancels out the effect.

04M3blur
Fri, Apr-02-2004, 11:57:21 AM
saw this Mr Cleanthingy and wanted to get it but the wife said i wasn't allowed cuz I had been a bad boy earlier and wasnt allowed to get anything :cry:. I do need it though due to the water in S. Fla has so many minerals in it , it is hell on your car if you dont dry right away. The mineral deposits will eat thru your paint if you leave em long enough.

Okay Erik, what'd you do?

Are those mineral deposits really that noticeable and bad for your finish?

323i_newbie
Wed, Apr-07-2004, 01:11:32 AM
I bought one over the weekend and used it on my wife's Pathfinder. I liked it. I still had to wipe the roof and the top of the rear bumper because they are so flat the water could not run off. But it cut the time to wash the car in half.

323i_newbie
Wed, Apr-07-2004, 01:14:54 AM
By the way, the cheapest price I have seen them selling for is $18.88 at Advance Auto store.