Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Do you use a toothbrush on the wheels?

DCLeopard91
Tue, Mar-23-2004, 04:15:36 PM
I'm trying to figure out what people think is the best way to get the OEM's clean and shiny. Will a toothbrush scratch them? I want to spray with simple green and scrub clean without scratching. What do you think? :hmm:

M320Psi
Tue, Mar-23-2004, 04:17:09 PM
The bristles on a toothbrush arent very long. It's easy to slip and end up scuffing your wheels with the plastic base of the toothbrush. I reccommend using a wheels brush with longer bristles.

Rob's Archive
Tue, Mar-23-2004, 04:56:39 PM
i use a wheel brush when cleaning kevins mom...and my wheels. Tooth brushes are great for cleaning the crack'o ya ass.

DCLeopard91
Tue, Mar-23-2004, 06:09:37 PM
Didn't even know there was a wheel brush. Ok, I'll get that. Autozone?

RSTM3
Tue, Mar-23-2004, 06:29:04 PM
Go to a local hardware store and buy the foam paint brushes (Looks like a lollipop). Works great and cost you less than a buck.. :peace:

icode4food
Tue, Mar-23-2004, 06:30:11 PM
I just use my little fingers, a wash cloth, and Armor All wheel cleaner I got at Target. Works great. Oh and I put on Hello Kitty rubber gloves while washing them to protect my manicure :D

NRG
Tue, Mar-23-2004, 06:33:28 PM
Use a wheel brush like this one. i have it and it works good.

wheel brush link (http://drivergear.vw.com/store/accessory.asp?parent%5Fcategory%5Fid=12&category%5Fid=47&subcategory%5Fid=190&product%5Fid=2058)

ziggy723
Tue, Mar-23-2004, 07:51:37 PM
How do u guys clean your 3pc wheel? The rivets and around them are the hardest to clean.

daytonaviolet
Tue, Mar-23-2004, 07:53:49 PM
simple green and a pressure washer..

Rob's Archive
Tue, Mar-23-2004, 09:15:30 PM
daytona...i completely agree...just dont get too close with the pressure washer...

but for the rivets in the 3pce. if you dont get it all clean with that...use some cotton swabs

peterjc
Tue, Mar-23-2004, 10:12:14 PM
I'm trying to figure out what people think is the best way to get the OEM's clean and shiny. Will a toothbrush scratch them? I want to spray with simple green and scrub clean without scratching. What do you think? :hmm:

Use the right tools and it is a lt easier.

I recommend using Wheel Wax for a great shine and wax on your wheels. It cleans and shines.

For washing or other spray cleaner try this brush for tight spots

http://store.yahoo.com/autopia/mbm-br-15.html

Try this brush for overall cleaning

http://store.yahoo.com/autopia/oxo-17006.html

ant1
Tue, Mar-23-2004, 11:13:42 PM
Wire brush :devilish:

peterjc
Wed, Mar-24-2004, 02:00:50 AM

No of the brushes that I recommend are wire. They are a bristle like material. The long thin brush, for small places, is more like a painters brush. It does a nice job in small tight places.

peterjc
Wed, Mar-24-2004, 02:02:34 AM

I left out a NOT.

No of the brushes that I recommend are NOT wire.

christy
Wed, Mar-24-2004, 02:21:52 AM
I use an "alligator" brush. Bought it from Ikea....super cute, and long, so it covers alot of area.

Sirius
Sat, Apr-03-2004, 05:26:17 PM
At work, we use a high-strength acid cleaner to clean off the wheels of all thoes BMWs. However, I MUST CAUTION YOU. Espeiclly you E46 folks, due to the nature of the 'shadow' affect BMW uses on their stock M3 rims, letting the acid sit for more than about 1 minute will cause it to melt the paint that is used to create the shadow affect. (Has happened a few times at work, and we end up replacing the rims)

A quick sprits with that stuff, and a sponge with soapy water and then risnsing the wheel off quickly works wonders.

That stuff also works well on the two/three peice rims, as it gets into thoes hard to reach areas and gets the dust out for you.

I never use brushes, as they can scratch the rim. Remember, its painted just like the surface of your car is... would you take a brush to your hood?

BaDm0theR
Sat, Apr-03-2004, 07:44:48 PM
I use my hands and a mild abrasive bug/tar remover sponge to clean most wheels. I also just recently purchased this rim/spoke brush that is very effective, gentle and cost efficient.

Be careful that your brushes arent too aggresive b/c they can and will scratch your rims....especially if they're clearcoated.

Also, some brushes are made out of split fibers (and claim that the brush is 'soft) however, ive found many of these brushes lint and leave behind smal chunks of the flimsy bristles that they're made out of

This is a very good brush in my opinion.

http://www.drivewerks.com/catalog/shopcart/CARE/POR_CARE_CARAN3_pg2.htm

M3samurai
Sat, Apr-03-2004, 08:21:26 PM
I don't know about you guys but I went to Home Depot bought a soft paint brush and used wheel cleaner on my rims, then just spray it off with the hose ant they are clean, then you can uase some wheel wax so it makes it easier to clean the next time.
If the paint brush feels soft in the back of your hand or on your face it won't scratch your rims

04M3blur
Sat, Apr-03-2004, 10:15:25 PM
I just bought a wheel brush last night at AutoZone for $6. Long soft blue bristles (I hate to call them bristles because they are pretty soft). Soft rubber grip handle with a strip of soft rubber molding around the perimiter of the body so in case you slip it won't damage the wheel. Also it's pretty decent size so I won't have to spend so much time on the wheels (bristle area is about 3" x 3"). Can't wait to see how it works. I don't have the patience to use a toothbrush, well, except on my teeth.

Sirius
Sat, Apr-03-2004, 10:38:23 PM
The key thing to keeping your rims looking nice is to keep them clean as possible heh, hard do to do with bmws yes, but still. If you let brake dust collect, it'll cake up and then it becomes a pain to remove, if its even removable at that point...

Z rated
Tue, Apr-20-2004, 02:40:31 AM
I got a wheel brush from the bmw parts centre. Seems to work just fine, wheels are shiny as ever, problem is it came with 3 attatchments, and i dont know how or what to do with one of them :D It looks like the thing that the barber uses to lather up shaving cream. Or those brushes hairdressers use to brush the hair off your neck and ****. Any idea what that could be for?

Sirius
Tue, Apr-20-2004, 05:05:58 AM
I got a wheel brush from the bmw parts centre. Seems to work just fine, wheels are shiny as ever, problem is it came with 3 attatchments, and i dont know how or what to do with one of them :D It looks like the thing that the barber uses to lather up shaving cream. Or those brushes hairdressers use to brush the hair off your neck and ****. Any idea what that could be for?

*laugh* Leave it to BMW to over engineer a wheel brush...

Z rated
Tue, Apr-20-2004, 09:37:18 PM
hehe Ya thats what i thought

Turbologist
Mon, May-03-2004, 08:12:28 PM
i use a wheel brush when cleaning kevins mom...and my wheels.

:haha: Am i the only one that got it? :haha: