Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Replace Check Engine Light

ceres2
Thu, May-07-2009, 08:29:46 PM
1997 4 dr M3, 171,000 original miles still does not burn drop of oil!

Hope someone can help on this. My codes are all clear, car runs great BUT the car will not pass Connecticut emission tests because the check engine light does not light! Its dead or burned out. My problem is I cant replace the bulb. I tried to remove the Insturment cluster but cant get it past the wheel. Does the wheel have to come off? Does anyone have instructions on this fix?

BeeMDoubleYouM3
Sat, May-09-2009, 01:59:20 AM
Im not sure how it works in CT, but in NY they plug some type of OBDII reader into your cars computer. Even with the bulb removed, the CEL will still come on if they scan the computer. Just because the light isnt physically on, it will still pop up once the car is scanned. If its only a visable inspection, then go ahead and pull the bulb out.

badquenga
Sat, May-09-2009, 10:01:34 AM
Well that's not helpful. He said he doesn't know how to take the bulb out.

I don't have the link [edit], but there are a few threads with people replacing the amber look of the lights where the completely rip open the cluster. Those should help.

The checking the CEL isn't just about the codes. It's about knowing the codes are there. If your CEL doesn't light, what use is it? It wouldn't pass here in Cali either, but then again...not much does.

ceres2
Tue, May-12-2009, 04:25:53 PM
Thanks Guys but I guess it going to the Dealer...Had it plugged into a analysis system computer at a shop, and the light came on for a brief time then went out. So its not the bulb..we did not get a single code. So it probably some sensor screwed up or wiring problem..