Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Sorry to bring this up again..... Zaino

M3Man
Mon, Mar-15-2004, 02:47:39 PM
Ok I did a couple of coats of zaino, but I wan't to try and get rid of the swirls. I am planning on using 3m SMR. But first I want to remove the Zaino. How can I do this? I thought you were supposed to use Dawn, but I did a search and in other threads they say don't use Dawn??? What should I use?

My current car was first covered with Zymol, then like 3 coats of Zaino. How do I get rid of all of it?

jkaye
Mon, Mar-15-2004, 03:26:01 PM
both 1z and griots make very good paint prep products. The jury is still out on the dawn, but in IMO dawn is for the dishes.

icode4food
Mon, Mar-15-2004, 03:35:03 PM
From the website

APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
1. Z-5 Show Car Polish is very easy to use. There's no need to rub hard or use a machine.

2. Thoroughly wash your car. For best results, it is critical to enable Z-5 Show Car Polish with ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator Additive. See ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator Additive for details.

3. Apply a thin coat of Z-5 to your entire car using a 100% cotton cloth or applicator pad. On top panels, use front-to-back hand motions. On side panels, use up-and-down hand motions. This helps improve reflectivity. Heavy rubbing is not necessary.

4. Use a clean, 100% cotton, made in the USA towel to buff off Z-5 and reveal the hidden beauty of your paint.

5. If swirl marks remain, wait 24 hours and apply a second coat of Z-5.

6. As you become more familiar with Z-5 Show Car Polish application, one eight ounce bottle will do a Corvette 20 times. The key is even and thin layers.

I also remember reading that Dawn will not remove Zaino. Dawn removes tar, grease, oil.

M3Man
Mon, Mar-15-2004, 03:41:11 PM
So if dawn doesn't work, what does?

M3Man
Mon, Mar-15-2004, 04:16:24 PM
anyone????????

NRG
Mon, Mar-15-2004, 04:35:43 PM
Well I thought Dawn always worked and even though I dont drive a bmw this is what I do

auto car wash soap, Dawn, clay, rinse, dawn again to remove clay residue, then re zaino.

I wash and rinse so much because to remove the fine dirt particals.

farjo08
Mon, Mar-15-2004, 04:50:15 PM
Dawn will NOT remove Zaino. I actually asked this a few weeks ago. I also called Sal Zaino since I got mixed responses (Alex had the correct one :) ) and Sal said that Dawn will not remove Zaino.

If you are going to apply SMR, the SMR will take care of the Zaino already applied since the SMR is an abrasive.

I plan on going through the same process this weekend if the weather holds out.

I have 4 or 5 coats of Zaino (I think it was 3 Z5 + 2 Z2) and it did nothing for the swirls so I bought an orbital polisher (which should arrive tomorrow) to give the SMR a try (on a related note, it was Sal Zaino who recommended the SMR for the swirls in addition to many folks on this forum).

So to answer your question, Dawn will not remove the Zaino and as per Sal, applying the SMR on top of a washed car will take of any Zaino currently applied.

I still plan on washing my car with Dawn and then the Zaino carwash as I want to make sure I get it VERY clean before applying the SMR.

Good Luck!

BTW: If I do get a chance to do this over the weekend I will let you know how it goes and try to post some pictures as well.

icode4food
Mon, Mar-15-2004, 04:58:13 PM
I have 4 or 5 coats of Zaino (I think it was 3 Z5 + 2 Z2) and it did nothing for the swirls so I bought an orbital polisher (which should arrive tomorrow) to give the SMR a try (on a related note, it was Sal Zaino who recommended the SMR for the swirls in addition to many folks on this forum).

I hope you read the FAQ Section on the use of orbital polishers

Q: Can I use an orbital polisher to apply/remove Zaino polish?

A: Yes, you can use an orbital to apply Zaino Z-2, Z-3, or Z-5. I don't recommend it because you waste too much polish that way. The pad on an eleven inch polisher can absorb almost enough polish to coat your entire vehicle. Each time you use an orbital to apply Zaino polish, you are probably wasting as much polish, if not more than you actually applied to the car.

Zaino polish applies easily by hand, especially if you dampen the applicator pad with water and spritz it with Z-6 before applying it.

If you use an orbital to remove the residue, you should place a white, 100% cotton towel between the pad and the paint, and keep it turned and refolded often so that you are removing the residue with a clean section of towel all the time.

Note: A single orbital pad WILL NOT remove the polish residue from an entire vehicle. You will have smears if you don't use a towel and turn and refold it frequently.

NRG
Mon, Mar-15-2004, 04:58:30 PM
Dawn will NOT remove Zaino. I actually asked this a few weeks ago. I also called Sal Zaino since I got mixed responses (Alex had the correct one :) ) and Sal said that Dawn will not remove Zaino.

If you are going to apply SMR, the SMR will take care of the Zaino already applied since the SMR is an abrasive.

I plan on going through the same process this weekend if the weather holds out.

So to answer your question, Dawn will not remove the Zaino and as per Sal, applying the SMR on top of a washed car will take of any Zaino currently applied.

I still plan on washing my car with Dawn and then the Zaino carwash as I want to make sure I get it VERY clean before applying the SMR.

Good Luck!

BTW: If I do get a chance to do this over the weekend I will let you know how it goes and try to post some pictures as well.

What is SMR?

M3Man
Mon, Mar-15-2004, 05:42:24 PM
What is SMR?
its Swirl Mark Remover. And thanks for the replies!

farjo08
Mon, Mar-15-2004, 07:06:59 PM
SMR is Swirl Mark Remover (made by 3M).

As for the orbital polisher, I am only using it to apply the SMR, not the Zaino. You waste too much Zaino if you try to apply using a polisher.