Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : SWIRLS---Will ZainoRemove them???

jidexl
Tue, Feb-24-2004, 07:48:34 PM
Yep got some swirls in the paint
can I get them removed with Zaino or maybe I hsould just get the car detailed professionally

bee0818
Tue, Feb-24-2004, 07:49:55 PM
Zaino does not do a great job of hiding swirls, it almost seems to make them more noticeable b/c of its properties.

jidexl
Tue, Feb-24-2004, 07:53:39 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmm....then how can I get the swirls removed
Any ideas anyone

bee0818
Tue, Feb-24-2004, 08:09:27 PM
I'm not an expert at detailing but check out this site: www.autopia.org

TONS of info on detailing.
Run a search and you will find everything you need.

Beware, the site can be even more addicting than this one :thumbsup:

Sharks
Tue, Feb-24-2004, 08:28:02 PM
try this site http://www.bettercarcare.com/ and then try einszett 1z, http://www.1z-usa.com/sys-tmpl/technicalquestions/

farjo08
Tue, Feb-24-2004, 08:31:42 PM
Zaino may help if you have a few / minute swirls but otherwise don't expect it to make a difference.

I used Zaino last fall for the first time, 2 coats Z5 + 2 coats Z2 (with Z6 between / after) and it did nothing for the swirls.

I spoke to Sal (Zaino) before I purchased the kit, and even though Z5 says it is for swirls, based on my description / condition of the car he said he didn't think it would help much and that I should look into 3M swirl mark remover.

I haven't tried the 3M swirl mark remover yet or any other but plan to this spring. Since I never used an orbital polisher before I am going to do it by hand and most likely will go with the 3M.

I know there are a lot of posts on this so you may want to do some searches as well.

SLVRBLTM3
Tue, Feb-24-2004, 09:02:39 PM
Just remember, with a polish you don't want to apply it by using a swirl motion. Just go forward and backward. Do a little area at a time 2x2ft and then buff. Change the applicator often and change the buffing towel often. I find this gets rid of swirls the best.

Good luck!

SpecialK
Thu, Feb-26-2004, 02:28:45 AM
I contacted Zaino not more than two days ago regarding this very topic. I have a jet black M3 and view the car in the same light as I do my kids. The swirl marks can be caused by any number of things namely with nylon or other synthetic material also found in foreign made towels along with the dye. Read: you're rubbing plastic on your paint job. Mine were being delivered by the sponge I was (was) using during washes. Never let the dealer wash, prep, or do anything to your car either. Just let them know before you get service. They are only looking for immediate results to keep you happy, also remember how much they're paying the kid in back to do it. You'll be much happier without the new swirls and a dirty car until you can give it the kid glove treatment yourself. Use new and soft white cotton towels made in the USA. When they loose their potential . . . replace. The old ones make great wheel rags. Regency (Fieldcrest) great towels for about $8 a copy. Good towels are worth it for your 50K+ fun buggy in my opinion. Bath size is a must and I'll explain. The knap on smaller towels is tighter due to the need for manufacturers to produce a towel that lasts as long as it's bigger brother. With the bath size, the knap is less rigid hence the softer and deeper qualities. Wash your car with those same quality towels. I cut one in half so I have two and I use the cheap ones to keep the brake dust monkey away. The Z5 does work. You do use a circular motion, an up and down pattern on the sides, fore and aft on the trunk roof and hood as though you were making a welded pattern for example. You can mix and match the Z2 and Z5 polishes without destroying what you've accomplished so far. Us ethe Z6 between washes after you have dusted. I checked with Zaino and the California Duster is acceptable but they do not use it themselves. It gets it's attraction qualities from the use of parafine. You may see streaks if you let it's weight rest entirely on the car or if you leave it setting on a flat surface. Dust lightly. Bav Auto has them, but you can get them for $10 less at an Auto Zone or Pep Boys. Soft cotton towel is Zaino's claim and when they dry them after washing, the do so on low heat which decreases the static buildup significantly. When you remove the Zaino roll the towel over frequently for the best results. Hope that winded rendition helps you out. If you want the swirls removed Z5 is filler) do take it to a pro (proven, and with references) so you have some one to hang besides yourself unless you feel confident tackling it yourself. I may head that way myself. You can always call Zaino. Best of luck.

K

Turbologist
Thu, Feb-26-2004, 03:15:52 AM
Good info K.....

SpecialK
Thu, Feb-26-2004, 03:56:18 AM
No problem. Hope that helps.

Beowoulf
Thu, Feb-26-2004, 08:28:02 AM
3M Swirl Mark remover and Porter Cable 7424.
http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/pr7424.htm?L+coastest+vjvk3878ff0fff0f+1077808674

M3_Dave
Thu, Feb-26-2004, 09:31:39 AM
zaino is excellent warm weather is a comin and a new order is about to be placed!

Sly1
Thu, Feb-26-2004, 11:01:41 AM
Some great advice here for preventing and removing swirls. My advice is: don't but red or black cars. I've been buying silver cars for years and no swirls. You can develop swirls in red and black cars by looking at them the wrong way. I've seen swirls in 100K+ Porsches with these colors while they were still on the showroom floor.

jidexl
Thu, Feb-26-2004, 12:41:44 PM
Thanks alot evryone for the truly great advice.
This forum is Da Best

darkside
Thu, Feb-26-2004, 01:59:53 PM
I have Jet Black and scratches are inevitable. Go to Autopia.org and learn the basics. I recently did a complete exterior detail using my Porter Cable 7424 which is a great investment. I used a Meguires yellow polishing pad and DACP #83. If the swirls are significant this is a great product to use. If they are very light then #9 Swirl remover will probably be adequate. I followed with Mequires #5 New Car Glaze and then applied P21S wax which I just love. I wax the horizontal surfaces almost weekly when I wash. Most of the scatches are created by washing and drying, so refining your technique and extreme care is important. But no matter how hard you try scratches will be there if you shine a bright enough light on lthe surface and look at the right angle. My car looks fabulous - better than 99.9% of the cars on the road. But it is not pefect and never will be if I use it.

jtrichel
Thu, Feb-26-2004, 04:03:29 PM
z5 will "remove" light swirls by "filling them".... its great for a brand new car or to be used between polishing sessions...

however, for deeper swirls, you have to use polish