Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Best leather conditioner for nappa leather?

cb'sm3
Sun, Feb-22-2004, 09:18:47 PM
???

( I have cinnamon leather )

Thanks all!
Colin

emdreiSMG
Sun, Feb-22-2004, 09:42:06 PM
I recently got some stuff made by Boehm's. Try googling that.
I like it because it does not turn the leather shiny.

jtrichel
Sun, Feb-22-2004, 10:00:09 PM
i love the zaino leather cleaner/conditioner...

but then i love everything from zaino

rleven
Sun, Feb-22-2004, 10:10:54 PM
Here is the best conditioner that I have ever used. Don;t forget to leatherique once or twice a year.

http://www.autogeek.net/cohica1.html

skinner
Sun, Feb-22-2004, 10:15:53 PM
I use lexol, but have been reading on this forum that it is not for nappa leather.

m3again
Sun, Feb-22-2004, 10:29:02 PM
I've been using Spinneybeck the last few months. Porsche supple leather is very similar to Nappa. It may even be the same thing.

I like Spinneybeck. It seems to keep the leather very supple and moist and not at all shiny. Nice rich finish.

I've used Zaino leather treatment before. And it was OK, but I didn't like the smell of it for a few days after that.

muggsy
Sun, Feb-22-2004, 10:45:16 PM
I bought Leatherique and just used it for the first time yesterday. It's amazing. I used Lexol on my last car but Leatherique is way better.

LorenzoNY
Sun, Feb-22-2004, 10:53:25 PM
Leatherique!!

bnhs1210
Sun, Feb-22-2004, 10:58:46 PM
I use BMW leather cleaner and it's not that bad =)

Yup Yup!
Sun, Feb-22-2004, 11:04:47 PM
Before I ask this, I want you guys to know I'm lazy as a mofo :D & I'm always busy...W/that in mind, is it ok for me to use the Meguiars leather wipes that cleans & conditions all in one moist cloth? I don't mind the shininess since it's so fast to do. TIA! :beer: :thumbsup:

M3Man
Sun, Feb-22-2004, 11:23:14 PM
I like zymol's conditioner

M34U2NV
Sun, Feb-22-2004, 11:26:58 PM
Originally posted by M3Man
I like zymol's conditioner

Me too, and especially their leather cleaner, the lil orange pump spray. . .that's my fav.

-Frank

MilosM3
Mon, Feb-23-2004, 12:41:13 AM
where do you purchase Leatherique ??

Thanks

Originally posted by muggsy
I bought Leatherique and just used it for the first time yesterday. It's amazing. I used Lexol on my last car but Leatherique is way better.

Beowoulf
Mon, Feb-23-2004, 02:06:39 AM
Originally posted by MilosM3
where do you purchase Leatherique ??

Thanks

www.leatherique.com

Will Pwr
Mon, Feb-23-2004, 02:29:47 AM
zymol and mequiars

Lightfoot
Mon, Feb-23-2004, 02:38:53 AM
I use Meguiar's one-step leather cleaner/conditioner a couple of times a year.

ZQQM3R
Mon, Feb-23-2004, 03:01:55 AM
I have cinnamon leather and use Lexol's cleaner and conditioner. My leather is almost 2 years old and it's till soft as a baby's butt. Make sure u wipe off the excess with a clean towel after applying the conditioner.

nyuaznguy
Mon, Feb-23-2004, 03:10:48 AM
Originally posted by Lightfoot
Me too..

BaDm0theR
Mon, Feb-23-2004, 04:04:56 AM
Originally posted by Lightfoot

I have been using Gold Class Rich Leather Spray for quite some time, i like the results. There is a bit of shine once the spray of buffed off, but it a 'new car clean shine' rather than a greasy bling bling shine.

How much are you guys paying for your leatherique if i may ask?

:thumbsup:

Thai
Mon, Feb-23-2004, 12:01:49 PM
Hehehe, i use something cheaper than most...Turtle Wax Leather Cleaner and Conditioner. So far, it has worked great...no shine (i hate that).

Of course, from what i hear, these leather are so tight that most of these stuffs have very little effect. So, i didn't go after the expensive stuff.

If leather is gonna rip, then it's due to your heavy butt and rough jeans...not beacause you used the wrong leather cleaner!:D

Turbologist
Thu, Feb-26-2004, 03:00:03 AM
Anyone else here use Spinneybeck Leather Maintenance Kit ? How did that turn out?

donho
Thu, Feb-26-2004, 09:26:50 PM
Don't laugh, but I was in IKEA and saw a 2 step leather care kit. I have an Italian Nappa Leather Sectional and decided to try this. It works excellent. No shine. Absorbed quickly and left the leather really soft. I am going to try it on my seats and see if it works. I already tried the Mcquires Liquid Gold or something like that. It made the leatwehr real shiny and slippery. Hard to wipe dry. The Ikea kit dries so fast and makes the leatehr really supple. I will report back about this when I try it in the spring.

ceesm3
Thu, Feb-26-2004, 10:35:36 PM
I use leather moisturizer by COACH which I purchased at the COACH Store in the mall... works pretty good w/o leaving a shiny finish.

Speedi
Sat, Feb-28-2004, 02:08:46 AM
Originally posted by ZQQM3R
I have cinnamon leather and use Lexol's cleaner and conditioner. My leather is almost 2 years old and it's till soft as a baby's butt. Make sure u wipe off the excess with a clean towel after applying the conditioner.

OK, so I have been hearing these wild stories on roadfly and now this message board about Lexol ruining Nappa leather. Is this true?? Lexol is supposedly one of the best and oldest leather conditioners around... and I have been looking for years for what I thought to be the best, and when I think I have found it, people are bad-mouthing it. Anyway, I just got a Lexol kit from Autogeek, and thought for sure that this was IT. Then I saw this thread and freaked. Help.

Anyway, since you have been using it for two years, have you noticed discoloration, etc. from usage of Lexol??

I also have, in my possession, Zymol Cleaner and Conditioner -- you know, the two little bottles.

So, am I going to trash my leather by using Lexol or Zymol??
:help:

Tico
Sat, Feb-28-2004, 02:34:07 AM
Originally posted by Turbologist
Anyone else here use Spinneybeck Leather Maintenance Kit ? How did that turn out?

I have the Spinneybeck Finished Leather Maintenance Kit but have not used it, yet.

Here's a little note from their website:

"We do not reccommend Lexol products for M Nappa or other full-grain leathers. Lexol has lead to leather turning sticky in some cases. Don't take chances. If for some reason you don't want to buy the Spinneybeck leather care kit we sell, use Connolly products. Next to Spinneybeck, theirs are the only products that we endorse."

Turbologist
Sat, Feb-28-2004, 07:21:09 AM
Originally posted by Tico

I have the Spinneybeck Finished Leather Maintenance Kit but have not used it, yet.

Here's a little note from their website:

"We do not reccommend Lexol products for M Nappa or other full-grain leathers. Lexol has lead to leather turning sticky in some cases. Don't take chances. If for some reason you don't want to buy the Spinneybeck leather care kit we sell, use Connolly products. Next to Spinneybeck, theirs are the only products that we endorse."

I saw that too, along with alot of others that havent even tried the product and get a negative impression of Lexol....Who knows, maybe its true...Either way, thats pretty unprofessional to bad mouth a competitor publicly....

Definately let us know how the Spinneybeck works out for you...Thats what I was leaning towards....

darkside
Sat, Feb-28-2004, 12:53:33 PM
I've used the Lexol cleaner and conditioner and also was very pleased with the results. But it does concern me that this is supposed to be problematic. I just do not know enough to make an informed decision.

Carl

Speedi
Sat, Feb-28-2004, 01:12:06 PM
I've emailed Lexol and sent them the link to the LeatherZ web site. I want to know what they say about the accusations that their product destroys Nappa leather. Something tells me they will have something to say about it...

nrubenstein
Sat, Feb-28-2004, 01:33:47 PM
Actually, people have called lexol and been told not to use it on certain leathers. And I'm fairly sure nappa is among them.

Turbologist
Sun, Feb-29-2004, 06:58:34 AM
Originally posted by Speedi
I've emailed Lexol and sent them the link to the LeatherZ web site. I want to know what they say about the accusations that their product destroys Nappa leather. Something tells me they will have something to say about it...

Let us know if you get a response....

Speedi
Sun, Feb-29-2004, 12:28:09 PM
Originally posted by Turbologist

Let us know if you get a response....

I got a response from AutoGeek on it, and they said the "suede-like" leather BMW uses in their cars cannot be cleaned with Lexol -- they termed in "Nappa Center", but I explained to them that THAT leather was called Alcantra, by BMW.

They then said that all the other leather can be treated with the Lexol system.

I am assuming I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get a response the Lexol Company.

ZQQM3R
Sun, Feb-29-2004, 04:27:26 PM
Originally posted by Speedi

I got a response from AutoGeek on it, and they said the "suede-like" leather BMW uses in their cars cannot be cleaned with Lexol -- they termed in "Nappa Center", but I explained to them that THAT leather was called Alcantra, by BMW.

They then said that all the other leather can be treated with the Lexol system.

I am assuming I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get a response the Lexol Company.

Speedi's on a mission.:thumbsup:

nrubenstein
Sun, Feb-29-2004, 04:38:38 PM
Uh, alcantara is NOT leather!

Alcantara is artificial suede!

Raffy-D
Sun, Feb-29-2004, 04:54:46 PM
so can we use Lexol or not? i've got it at home and i'm waiting to clean my interior.

SpecialK
Fri, Mar-26-2004, 05:42:21 PM
Leatherique does not remove the dye used to color leather. Do a test with a cream and then look at the cloth after application. Leatherique is oil, no parafine, and absorbs nicely. If you get streaks, use a spray bottle and rub it in with your hands as recommended. "Pristine Clean" for maintenance upkeep.

MJS
Fri, Mar-26-2004, 08:35:50 PM
Spinneybeck. Good stuff.

http://www.leatherz.com/leathercare2.htm

http://leatherz.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=01&Product_Code=SpinneyKit&Category_Code=CarCareProducts

Speedi
Mon, Mar-29-2004, 09:49:35 PM
so can we use Lexol or not? i've got it at home and i'm waiting to clean my interior.

I've got it and have used it on my M3's interior... great stuff, IMO. There is another member who has used it for 2-3 years with no problems in his M.

Speedi
Mon, Mar-29-2004, 09:52:23 PM

Correct... so don't use Lexol on Alcantra. Apparently, some idiots have tried. :bang: And failed.

JoeCaMotto
Mon, Mar-29-2004, 11:14:04 PM
I've got it and have used it on my M3's interior... great stuff, IMO. There is another member who has used it for 2-3 years with no problems in his M.

I've used Lexol cleaner and conditioner and works great. No problems here.

MotrsportM3
Wed, Apr-07-2004, 01:25:08 PM
I use Connolly Hide food and it does the best job without making it shiny and greasy looking

Brian
Sat, Apr-24-2004, 02:31:22 AM
Lexol is shiny & msybe slightly "sticky" even after buffing. But that dissipates within a couple of days- presumably the stuff sinks in. Works fine

SpecialK
Sun, May-02-2004, 11:17:57 PM
Probably not every once in a while in a pinch, but I believe one of the ingredients is parafine. Very bad for leather.

Turbologist
Mon, May-24-2004, 02:49:36 PM

I believe Lexol was talking about the Leatherette option the 3 Series comes with and not the optional Nappa leather....

JerseyM3
Tue, Jun-08-2004, 09:26:00 PM
I just tried Lexol for my black interior. Didn't notice much shine, but made the leather seem slightly darker and richer. So far I like. I intend to vacuum and wipe with a damp cloth regularly (depending on how much my top is down). How often should I condition?

sk8ermoo
Wed, Sep-15-2004, 06:28:56 AM
So has anyone figured out if Lexol is safe to use in our interior or what? Also, do you guys use the same leather product for both the dash and the seats?

Troy M
Thu, Sep-16-2004, 03:00:55 AM
The Spinneybeck kit is without a doubt the best cleaner/conditioner for Nappa leather. I have used leatherique and lexol previously (never used lexol on the M). Lexol was not developed for finished leathers at all, much less for Nappa.

You are only supposed to use the Spinneybeck cleaner/conditioner twice a year, and just wipe it down with a damp mf towel inbetween uses. It makes the leather look and feel brand new. If you try it you will not be dissapointed.

BMW F1
Sun, Nov-07-2004, 02:23:37 AM
Yeah i was going to ask, why not use what BMW recommends, or is it crap?

heartdoc
Sun, Nov-21-2004, 04:12:35 AM
Where do you buy the spinneybeck kit?

M3Tech
Fri, Nov-26-2004, 06:54:46 PM
The Spinneybeck kit is without a doubt the best cleaner/conditioner for Nappa leather. I have used leatherique and lexol previously (never used lexol on the M). Lexol was not developed for finished leathers at all, much less for Nappa.

You are only supposed to use the Spinneybeck cleaner/conditioner twice a year, and just wipe it down with a damp mf towel inbetween uses. It makes the leather look and feel brand new. If you try it you will not be dissapointed.

I read your post and went ahead I bought the Spinneybeck kit... you are absolutely right: this is simply THE best conditioner/cleaner that I have ever used. The results are best observed after one day of application, the leather looks, feels and smells brand new.

Outstanding! :thumbsup:

SpecialK
Sat, Nov-27-2004, 01:16:20 AM
I think you'll find your answer here: www.leatherz.com/leathercare2.htm So has anyone figured out if Lexol is safe to use in our interior or what? Also, do you guys use the same leather product for both the dash and the seats?

SpecialK
Sat, Nov-27-2004, 01:18:31 AM
To answer your second, I use Leatherique on the Nappa, Aero 303 on the dash, rubber, and plastics. So has anyone figured out if Lexol is safe to use in our interior or what? Also, do you guys use the same leather product for both the dash and the seats?

sk8ermoo
Sun, Nov-28-2004, 07:35:30 AM
Thanks for that.

Rob's Archive
Sun, Nov-28-2004, 08:59:48 AM
MEg cause its easy to get and cheap...Eagle ottowa or ottowa eagle (cant remember which one goes first) is the one i prefer but its a biach to get

Idz21
Mon, Nov-29-2004, 01:15:44 PM
Here is the best conditioner that I have ever used. Don;t forget to leatherique once or twice a year.

http://www.autogeek.net/cohica1.html
I don't like the way that big jug of Connolly looks like. It reminds me of big cans of lard or something :nixweiss: