Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : What mods can you do and still retain warranty?

nuck
Sat, Jan-26-2002, 03:33:00 AM
I am specifically thinking about intake and exhaust mods to bring a roadster up to full M3 specs. I know that in order to deny a warranty claim they have to prove the mod caused the problem but it is a fact that some manufacturers like Audi will battle tooth and nail over any non stock components where others are very flexible so long as the failure is not the proximate result of the mod. I am very interested in the 01 M roadster but am curious as to your experiences with BMW and mods. All I have heard is that ECU reprogramming is a no no. I have read the thread about Dinan and warranty but I am not looking at anything that major, at least at first. Anyone?

Spectre
Mon, Feb-18-2002, 03:41:00 PM
Well to be honest, the answer is zero and pretty close to zero. No matter what you do, if you have a problem, the manufacture will not cover. Now I have never dealt with a BMW dealer so I can't speak from experience, however i can when it comes to Honda and Volkswagon. Just be smart with your upgrades. Always be able to go "right back to stock" if that's what's on your mind. Personally I go all out, and know my car so well, I avoid all problems that would cause anything sketch. Basically what I mean is you can't commit to a car half ass, and worry about manufactures and warranties. Either you hook your shit up, and your straight, or you act scared and have no confidence in your car, or your ability. Just roll with it. The more you worry, the less you live.

remmie
Wed, Feb-20-2002, 04:50:00 AM
Accualty its quite the opposite, it is 'illegal' for any dealership to deny warranty just becuase of aftermarket parts are installed, unless they can prove the aftermarket part caused the damage. And they must prove it, they can't just say 'we will not cover it' . You are protected by the "Magnuson-Moss Warranty act of 1975" .

Here are a couple links. http://www.performancedieselparts.com/mmwa.htm http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty/undermag.htm