Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : '02 3.2 TL TypeS vs. '00 Audi S4 vs. '98 BMW M3

Flip_m
Wed, Jun-06-2001, 05:45:00 PM
I have a bit of a dilemma I was hoping you folks can help me with . . .

I currently own a '98 Integra TypeR (Love this car!). But since I got married I have to get a more "practical" car. I don't want to loose any of the performance I get from my little rice cooker but since I have to go for a more practical 4 door car I narrowed my choices down to 3 cars: 2002 Acura 3.2TL TypeS w/NAV, 2000 Audi S4 and 1998 BMW M3. As you can tell by my selections these are all performance cars within the same price range (with insurance of course the Audi and BMW are more).

My main focus is performance and comfort. I love the way the interior of the TLS looks and feels, I'm also a strong believer of Acura performance and service. Then I drove an M3, the car was lighter and handled nice and tight. The only problem was during a snow the car didn't do so well (the torque had the car spinning all over the place) and it is an older car. Enter the Audi S4, AWD gave it a clear advantage in the snow but what concerned me was it had less horsepower (250HP vs. TLS @ 260HP . . . M3 240 HP) than the TLS and weighed a bit more. To it's advantage it did have more torque.

I am now at the crossroads of my decision and lean heavily toward the TLS and S4. I haven't driven the TLS in "slippery" conditions such as snow or "new" rain, so I was hoping you guys could help shed some insight and give your opinions on this whole thing.

Thanks,
TypeR Flip

Bud
Sat, Apr-12-2003, 04:55:23 AM
Buy the Audi and chip it. It will be great in the snow and thrash the other two pretty easily.

ChrisT
Sat, Apr-12-2003, 06:56:27 AM
If you don't mind ugliness Subaru WRX is practical and fast. They're really going for cheap now too, a few mods and it's a M3 keeper upper (I'm not gonna say killer, for that you'll need about $6000 worth of mods).

I owned one and it was a blast to drive. You can find a used one for about $18,000...

DesmoBob
Sat, Apr-12-2003, 08:45:29 PM
I think comfortable would rule out the M3. I have driven TL and CL (I have a CL type-S in the garage too), and powerwise, I can't really feel the "260" horses of the Acura. I have to get it up to around 4500-5000 to really feel the vtec kick in. Once there, it is a real porker in handling. The acura sure is comfy though.

The higher torque of the S4 is probably what would matter most (even more than HP) for your daily driving. HP is just a number, you don't feel it; how efficiently the HP is put to use is what you feel in the torque. My nod is for the Audi.
:rockband:

JAlfredPrufrock
Wed, Apr-16-2003, 05:42:48 AM
ditto

s4 with bpus like a chip, free-flowing intake/exhaust

a single-turbo mod might not hurt, either :rockband:

Ex Con
Fri, Apr-18-2003, 12:00:31 AM
I own an S4 and as was suggested if u chip it you can bring HP up to around 325 with massive amounts of torque. The downside to the S4 is handling, its a luxury car not a performance sedan. The car is awesome on the highway particularly in the rain, you can easily drive at 100 miles an hour in a rainstorm and feel quite comfortable but try driving this car in the twisties and forget it!! Great car for what it was designed to do. As for in the snow you BETTER get snow tires on it because without snows the car is LOUSY in the snow!!

C5&M3
Sat, Apr-19-2003, 01:33:08 PM
We had a 2000 S4 we recently traded (2003 M3). I agree with the recommendation of the S4 and totally agree with the comments about handling. I would have an independent shop check the twin turbos. If the engine has never been chipped, it probably is in much better shape than one that has been chipped (almost by definition chipped = pushed). We have a friend in Audi service and they did say that stock S4s have a pretty good record for stock turbos lasting but when they have to replace them, it is usually on chipped cars. Best of luck.

E36 M3
Sun, Apr-20-2003, 06:12:16 PM
Hello,

Is it just me or does anyone notice this post is from 2001?

da3bous
Sun, Apr-20-2003, 06:25:07 PM
looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool who dug this up???

JAlfredPrufrock
Mon, Apr-21-2003, 02:04:22 AM
either way, its still an interesting comparison in its own right

Bud
Thu, Apr-24-2003, 01:29:34 AM
Originally posted by BlOOe46
ditto

s4 with bpus like a chip, free-flowing intake/exhaust

a single-turbo mod might not hurt, either :rockband:

How does a single turbo work on the S4? This is a V6 engine with two turbos, one for each bank, or do you mean upgrading to the K04s? In any case, you would need two of them.

JAlfredPrufrock
Thu, Apr-24-2003, 03:33:32 AM
lol, i have absolutely no knowledge on the prev gen s4 (or any s4 for that matter) excuse my extreme ignorance :oops:

hsmith
Thu, Apr-24-2003, 03:56:24 AM
I would get the 1998 M3. It is the best handling car out of all of them and the most fun to drive. I driven both cars (S4 and M3) and think the M3 is faster especially in the turns. :thumbsup:

Bud
Thu, May-01-2003, 12:11:56 AM
Originally posted by BlOOe46
lol, i have absolutely no knowledge on the prev gen s4 (or any s4 for that matter) excuse my extreme ignorance :oops:

He he, no problem. The S4-2.7 can benefit from upgrades (turbo, downpipe, exhaust, intercooler, fuel, clutch, software, etc). Done right, you can have one fast machine that produces well over 400 hp. I'd rather drive the current M3, but I'd take a well built S4 over the prior M3.

Scot - SJIRadio
Tue, May-27-2003, 09:29:54 PM
The S4 is most likely the best choice of the three, and with chip and an open exhaust (dual 2.5") walks all over the e46 m3, pending on the drivers, in the 1/4 mile. I don't know much about the 98 m3 (e36 I believe?), but as far as modibility goes the S4 is pretty good. There are guys getting into mid to high 12's on 94 octane with stock turbos (k03's). Just my two cents, but what ever you get, make sure your happy with it :thumbsup:

PurpleM3Pursuit
Wed, May-28-2003, 12:34:41 AM
i can't believe someone dug this up.. thats hillarious.. haha..

S4.. im sure there is a single for it.. front mount.. manifold back exhuast.. fuel management.. EBC... that would be a start ;)