Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Just took delivery

BGE
Tue, Apr-10-2001, 02:18:00 PM
Responding to your "Just took delivery message" (post reply did not work??).

I too just took delivery of a 2001 M3 (Laguna blue). Not my first choice in color, but once you step inside who cares.

Most impressive car that I have ever driven, I am hooked already. Got it 2 weeks ago, finished breaking it in on Saturday.

I do have a question. During somewhat agressive acceleration, I have noticed a vibration as ir passes from 3500 up through 4000. I thought it was a heat shield vibrating. I had it into the dealer yesterday, and he said it is normal exhaust vibration. Would like your opinion based on your (and other's) experiences.

bge

Frank
Wed, Apr-11-2001, 01:47:00 AM
Congrats! I set the admin part for admin only http://m3forum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Laguna Blue...is that the Teal Blue? Why did you get the color is if was not your first choice? Didnt they ask you to spec it out before it arrived?

I am still breaking it in..only have 133 miles on it..been keeping it below 5000 rpm...and taking it pretty easy on the engine. I have not noticed any unusual vibrations but it's too early for me to notice such things I think.

Here's what I think so far about the dynamics of the car; crisp turn in but because of the light steering it doesn't quite communicate it's abilities completely. The tracking is ok but not as good as the E36 M3..could be related to the lighter steering..as well as the wider tires. The ride seems alittle rougher but nothing unbearable. The looks are amazing; a BIG improvement from the E36. Interior is the usual 3 series fare...very nice steering wheel.

I can't wait to get it past the 1200 mile service! O yea, the your dealership go thru the various lock/unlock/memory features they set during the 1200 mile service? kinda weird why they dont just let you program it yourself.

O yea almost forgot! This is not noted in any of the magazine articles I have read...the new M3 DOES NOT come with a spare tire! And the tires are not run flats. The exhaust is too big to allow for a spare...so they say. What you get instead is an air pump that plugs into the lighter...so if you have a flat that didn't completely blow out the tire, you inflate and limp to the nearest dealer...or call roadside. Not a big deal for me but could be for some.

Happy Motoring!

Email me a pic of your car and I will post it on here!

------------------
2001 Imola Red/Blk Lthr 6spd w/ Premium Pkg/Xenons

BGE
Wed, Apr-11-2001, 04:40:00 PM
Actually I had not been planning on buying an M3; I was dreaming of an M5 but was probably going to settle for a 540. My wife was not keen on the 3 series due to size (2 kids heading fast for their teens). My current 325 (2 door) is a little tight.

A good friend of mine called me to tell me the new M3s were in, so I decided to take a look (and talk about the 540). The sale guy is sort of a friend and has been trying to sell me for a few years. I got there, saw the M3 and fell in love with it (it had a sold sign in the window). After talk for a bit with sales he indicated that actuall it was not sold, that it was the demo unit sent to each dealer (1 for each); and that if I really wanted it, I could have it. My wife took pity and said go for it and the rest is history.

I am in Canada, and here almost everything is standard, it only does not have park distance control and navigation system - everything else is there.

The color is close to teal, but a bid darker - I like it, but some other do not.

I wanted to get it broken in quickly so I made to weekend trips to a close by city (Toronto) about 500 miles each (we work in Km here so the breakin is 2000km).

Can you explaion what you mean by the lock/unlock of the memory features - I was not aware of that.

I am very impressed with the handlink, acceleration, etc - easily the most impressive car I have ever driven. It doesn't like to go slow - it is a real "go fast" car.

To add to the unbeleivable; last nite a close friend of my neighbour's came over to his place with his brand new car - a yellow M3. None of us could beleive it. I think it was the first allocated unit here. What are the odds. His is fully loaded including park distance and navigation; unfortunatly the yellow is a bit much; kind of goldly - not to my liking (my preference is Carbon Black). He indicated that he had the same vibration at 3500 - 4000 that I do. You need to be accelerating fairly aggressivly to notice it.

I will try to get a picture (don't have a digital camera); how do I send it to you

Almost forgot; real big advantage of no spare is that they can have a different size of tire on the front and rear. BTW what kind of tires do you have, mine are continentals, the other guys were different. The M5 is the same. I imagine if you got a flat out in the middle of the Montana or somewhere it might take a while for roadside assistance to get there.

Don't know how you feel about M5s, but if you are interested there is a really cool M5 ad (video clip) on the BMW Cabada site (http://www.bmw.ca/products_services/m5_fs.html). Just click on the "Land Speed Record" in the lower right.

Frank
Thu, Apr-12-2001, 04:15:00 AM
You know when i went in to pick up my car, there was a teal blue one there as well...she said it was the demo but that since they were getting the convt demo in soon they went ahead and sold it. thought it was you for a sec until u mentioned canada.

She also mentioned that the yellow would be richer this time around. My cousin had the E36 M3 in that Drakkar Yellow..took alittle hit on resale.

I will have to keep an eye out for the vibration...have you heard anything about the F1 style transmission coming next year? Almost decided to wait but thought I could probably sell this one for almost what i paid for it when that one comes in.

By the way, there's a 1 1/2 yr waitling list on the car down here.

Regarding lock/unlock...they didnt give you a piece of paper that had the various options available regarding the lock/unlock? I haven't even read it yet, but I think they program the keys for various options...eg. unlock only drivers/both..etc..there was like 6 choices. On my vette it allowed me to program the remote to do various things such as this...thought it was kinda weird why they would have the dealership do it.

The M5 is awesome but dont like 4 doors and I dont think it exceeds the M3 in any sig respect..except price. Perfect for folks who need the extra room though.

Have you heard about the 6 series? My brother just got on the waiting list for that one...i think it's supposed to arrive in 2003 as a 2004 model. Havent even seen a pic of one yet though.

Happy motoring! let us know how the vibration thing gets worked out.

you can send pics to info@m3forum.com

------------------

Frank
Thu, Apr-12-2001, 04:18:00 AM
o yea, i have michelin pilots on mine....do you have 18 or 19 inch wheels? we only get the 18 inche wheels down here.

I think they are the best tires for the M3...tried a set of dunlop sports on my E36 M3...had them take it off and replace them with the pilots after less than 1000 miles. the pilots i think have the perfect combination of ride/decent all weather handling/ and what i think is most important...rolling resistance.

see ya

------------------

BGE
Thu, Apr-12-2001, 07:00:00 PM
I saw in the users manual that they have highlited the lock/unlocks; and no the dealer did not ask me about it. If you have the paper handy I would like to know what the options are so that I can get them to do it for me. I agree that it should be user programable.

The yellow may be rich, but it is not to my liking - it is leaning towards gold - but still has too much green in it.

I have no complaints about my tires, other than they are a little rough but I expect that with a low profile tire. We have the same tires/wheels here that you have (18"). I cannot imagine a 19" wheel, it must be gawd awful rough. I find that on a really rough highway that the M3 can tire you out fairly fast (after 60 miles I was looking forward to a newly surfaced road)- I like to feel the road, but after a while it is too a bit too much of a good thing

If you could keep an eye out for the vibration it would be appreciated starts at 3500 under hard acceleration and runs up to about 4200. I do beleive that it is in the exhaust system.

Delivery here is about the same as yours they are quoting 18 to 24 months.

Haven't heard about the F1 transmission, but you are right you won't have any trouble trading up, assuming you can get a new car.

I remember the old 6 series, will this be similar??

I like the M5 becuase it is larger (inside) as well as more comfortable. You are correct that the M3 beats it in everything else; I guess that is why I am driving one today.

bge

Kevin034
Fri, Dec-03-2004, 03:50:47 AM
congrats!!!!

Grimm333
Fri, Dec-03-2004, 03:56:19 AM
wtf!!!! way to resurect the dead...thats my job!!!

Sirius
Fri, Dec-03-2004, 03:56:21 AM
You're not getting me this time bub. :P

congrats!!!!

Kevin034
Fri, Dec-03-2004, 03:57:46 AM
You're not getting me this time bub. :P
LOL! The last one was too funny. :D

Sirius
Fri, Dec-03-2004, 03:58:29 AM
Yes, I know. I got a ton of crap about that too after I trashed it. :P

Kevin034
Fri, Dec-03-2004, 04:00:30 AM
Yes, I know. I got a ton of crap about that too after I trashed it. :P
hahahaha, i got you in trouble! YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

muahahahahahaha!

Ok, really going now.

Sirius
Fri, Dec-03-2004, 04:01:39 AM
Rofl, not in trouble.. more like 'own3d'. :roll: :D

crankitdb711
Fri, Jan-13-2006, 01:57:05 AM
Congrats! I set the admin part for admin only http://m3forum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Laguna Blue...is that the Teal Blue? Why did you get the color is if was not your first choice? Didnt they ask you to spec it out before it arrived?

I am still breaking it in..only have 133 miles on it..been keeping it below 5000 rpm...and taking it pretty easy on the engine. I have not noticed any unusual vibrations but it's too early for me to notice such things I think.

Here's what I think so far about the dynamics of the car; crisp turn in but because of the light steering it doesn't quite communicate it's abilities completely. The tracking is ok but not as good as the E36 M3..could be related to the lighter steering..as well as the wider tires. The ride seems alittle rougher but nothing unbearable. The looks are amazing; a BIG improvement from the E36. Interior is the usual 3 series fare...very nice steering wheel.

I can't wait to get it past the 1200 mile service! O yea, the your dealership go thru the various lock/unlock/memory features they set during the 1200 mile service? kinda weird why they dont just let you program it yourself.

O yea almost forgot! This is not noted in any of the magazine articles I have read...the new M3 DOES NOT come with a spare tire! And the tires are not run flats. The exhaust is too big to allow for a spare...so they say. What you get instead is an air pump that plugs into the lighter...so if you have a flat that didn't completely blow out the tire, you inflate and limp to the nearest dealer...or call roadside. Not a big deal for me but could be for some.

Happy Motoring!

Email me a pic of your car and I will post it on here!

Hey Frank, how's the break-in period going? :wave:

Z Driver
Fri, Jan-13-2006, 02:20:07 AM
Search function works :D

legrena
Fri, Jan-13-2006, 02:24:32 AM
:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

RhaceM3
Fri, Jan-13-2006, 02:51:31 AM
Pwn3d

Jormungand
Fri, Jan-13-2006, 12:46:01 PM