Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Advice on price: $36k for 01' with 27k 6sp cabrio

NoProblem
Mon, Jun-05-2006, 04:23:11 PM
Hellllllloooo everyone.
I've been looking at cars for a year now, and was considering the S4.
After driving the M3 for 2 hours this Saturday, I think I'm hooked.
I'm just starting reading up on it and doing some research. I know all the packages for A6s from 2001 through 2005 on all the different models, but nothing about M3s yet, so I have no idea what this one has.

It's a beautiful (aren't they all) clean 01' cabrio with 27k miles. 6 speed, one cd player in dash, no heated seats, sport button and tire pressure monitor button. New tires, new fuel pump (maybe recall?)
Dealer wants $36k and it doesn't seem I can negotiate the price. I would be a third time customer at this Jeep dealership...
They offer their Daimler Chrysler 4 year , additional 50k miles warranty for around $2,500. For repairs, I could take the car to them or to BMW dealership!
$36k is already over my budget, so I don't think I can afford a newer one, or anything over 40k.
What do you all think? Good price?
Thanks in advance for your comments, and I look forward to hopefully jumping on this bandwagon.

EmBa
Mon, Jun-05-2006, 09:38:43 PM
Wanna buy my car?

PhillySyclone
Tue, Jun-06-2006, 01:19:36 AM
36K for an '01 cab seems like a pretty good price assuming that it's in nice condition. You're right, a couple hours is about all it takes to get hooked. :thumbsup:

asnpcwiz
Tue, Jun-06-2006, 12:14:11 PM
A few things to ask for...

1. See if it's a CPO or not
2. Make sure all the recalls have been done
3. Make sure the car has been through all the maintenance
4. Ask for maintenance records
5. Carfax it yourself just as another precautionary measure

Then start to work on the price. It's easier to get things done from the dealer as you are working on the deal. Good luck with the purchase though. I say it's a pretty good deal.

NoProblem
Tue, Jun-06-2006, 04:03:12 PM
A few things to ask for...

1. See if it's a CPO or not
2. Make sure all the recalls have been done
3. Make sure the car has been through all the maintenance
4. Ask for maintenance records
5. Carfax it yourself just as another precautionary measure
Then start to work on the price. It's easier to get things done from the dealer as you are working on the deal. Good luck with the purchase though. I say it's a pretty good deal.

1.)It is until June of 07' but I don't know if it transfers, since it's a Jeep dealership and not the owner that's selling it.
2.) Dealership Owner said he did the fuel pump recall, and I'm having the other ones checked by the BMW dealership
3.) Tough one
4.) None I think
5.) Had three owners, who each owned it about 1.5 years. Weird isnt it?

I don't think they'll decrease the price. I've also gotten mixed reviews about the pricing. It does seem high, but for the year and mileage, it's one (of not the lowest) on autotrader.com for a 300 mile radius.

BigHat
Tue, Jun-06-2006, 04:16:23 PM
Seems like the market might be a bit soft. Hate to "Carmax" my '04 coupe but I might have too.

Only one bite on the car and it was fully optioned (SMG too) except for 19 inch wheels and the CD changer (I use an ICE LINK for the iPod instead). LoJack Early Warning, clear bra, lots of extras and only 7800 miles.

I'm surprised the dealer is hanging so tough on the '01 you want to buy.

muggsy
Tue, Jun-06-2006, 05:02:32 PM
I'd never buy an 01 M3 that's been through 3 owners already. These cars are made to be driven hard, but owners who know they're turning the car in after a couple of years are much more likely to abuse the car than someone who plans to keep it. I learned this the hard way, with a 97 E36 M3 that I bought from a dealer after the first owner leased it for two years. It checked out mechanically when I bought it, but there was a lot of wear and tear on that car that I ended up paying for as things broke down. I kept it for four years, then sold it and bought a new E46 in 2003.

ase2dais
Sat, Jul-01-2006, 01:04:15 PM
36k is a good price, considering that what Im getting is an 02 M3 cab with 22k at 37,900.

get a PPI and make sure that the Rod-Bearing recall is done if its affected. They are great cars!

Charlie3
Sun, Jul-02-2006, 11:10:41 PM
Seems like the market might be a bit soft. Hate to "Carmax" my '04 coupe but I might have too.

Only one bite on the car and it was fully optioned (SMG too) except for 19 inch wheels and the CD changer (I use an ICE LINK for the iPod instead). LoJack Early Warning, clear bra, lots of extras and only 7800 miles.

I'm surprised the dealer is hanging so tough on the '01 you want to buy.

Ran an ad for my 04 CB, Cpe, 6 sp, 17K miles, prem. pkg, tint, AA exhaust, clear-bra, at $ 43K...Not one bite....Looks like the price is coming down

MToy
Mon, Jul-03-2006, 08:43:32 PM
3 previous owners = 1 big red flag. There are just way too many factors to consider on that one.