Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : CDV Removal

asnpcwiz
Thu, Apr-20-2006, 09:53:02 PM
Hey guys, I don't know much about maintaining my own cars (although I wish I did). Don't be mad, I just never had anyone willing enough to teach me. Anyways, I want to get my CDV removed and was hoping that someone here would be able to tell me if they knew were I can get this done or can help me do it?

Thanks

vietle
Fri, Apr-21-2006, 12:05:07 AM
Hey guys, I don't know much about maintaining my own cars (although I wish I did). Don't be mad, I just never had anyone willing enough to teach me. Anyways, I want to get my CDV removed and was hoping that someone here would be able to tell me if they knew were I can get this done or can help me do it?

Thanks

hey bob i was just going thru the same stuff today too. the place that i read that does it is in north jersey and i was looking for someone in the greater D.C. area. you going to that detail clinic? not trying to hijack the post!

KILO15
Fri, Apr-21-2006, 12:19:58 AM
There is another thread about this, check it out.

vietle
Fri, Apr-21-2006, 12:56:01 AM
yeah but is there anyone that knows how to do this or a place that can do it? i'm more than willing to provide a damn picnic with food and a keg if needed!

hell if anyone can turn that wrench for both out cars i'll provide any meal and bottomless drinks during and afterwards too.

volavet
Fri, Apr-21-2006, 12:45:08 PM
There is a place in NJ that sells hollowed out replacement CDVs which will look stock but not cause the delay. So, if you ever have any work done at the dealer, they wont be able to tell it was replaced. Also, there are 2 BMW speciality shops in Alex that would probably do it for you. You need to bleed your brake system to remove the CDV, so I dont know if you want to try that at home. I am actually going to do the same thing, just have not got around to it yet. Let me know if you telll a big diff. and where you get the work done.

One place is Martinsmotorsports.com (703) 823-9735
and the other is the Alexandria Bavarian Service (703) 836-2002

vndkshn
Fri, Apr-21-2006, 01:12:31 PM
If your out in Fairfax, goto Curry's Auto out in Chantilly. The guys there are awesome, took care of all of my cars when I lived there. Alot of BMW and Porche owners take their cars there.

asnpcwiz
Fri, Apr-21-2006, 01:40:14 PM
There is another thread about this, check it out.

Thanks Kilo, but I've seen that thread and that's why I posted my thread here. I wanted to know if anyone knew where I could get it done...not pros/cons, and how/why.

If your out in Fairfax, goto Curry's Auto out in Chantilly. The guys there are awesome, took care of all of my cars when I lived there. Alot of BMW and Porche owners take their cars there.

Any idea if these guys will know how to do CDV removal and what their going rate is?

datax
Fri, Apr-21-2006, 04:08:11 PM
CDV removed here. Did it with a friend in his garage. Bleeding a clutch is the only weird part. http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_cdv.shtml Yup...any shop would do it for you if you print out that instructions and give it to the mechanic along with 1/2 labor fees.

vndkshn
Fri, Apr-21-2006, 04:31:22 PM
Any idea if these guys will know how to do CDV removal and what their going rate is?
Yes, they know how, they did mine back in August right after I picked the car up. Excellent job, that is the only place I have taken my cars for non-warranty work.

I don't remember what they charged, it wasn't really that bad I thought. Talk to Mike, he will hook you up.. Tell him Dan with blue M3 (my brother in law Dave with 545i is there all the time having something done) says hi!

impulss
Fri, Apr-21-2006, 06:21:42 PM
Does it really make a difference? Let me know.. and how much please :wave:

Six
Fri, Apr-21-2006, 06:43:12 PM
Does it really make a difference? Let me know.. and how much please :wave:

arent u SMG?

asnpcwiz
Mon, May-01-2006, 08:59:54 PM
Anyone know where I can get royal purple synchromax and cdv changed around here???!?! Anyone?!?!

JakeM3
Tue, May-02-2006, 02:34:13 AM
If you want to provide lunch and some drinks im sure I could convice my friend (Marcin on the forum) to use his shop. He has a shop right next to BWI, right off of 295. I have to get up there sometime in early May because I need to give my car a good overlook before Watkins Glen on May 20-21.........I want to get mine done and Im sure he would want to do it on his. He just got an 06 ZCP 6spd.

Still interested?

DoOLiE11
Tue, May-02-2006, 02:55:11 AM
hey jakeM3,

i'd be down for that! think your friend can install a ssk too?

asnpcwiz
Tue, May-02-2006, 12:00:03 PM
If you want to provide lunch and some drinks im sure I could convice my friend (Marcin on the forum) to use his shop. He has a shop right next to BWI, right off of 295. I have to get up there sometime in early May because I need to give my car a good overlook before Watkins Glen on May 20-21.........I want to get mine done and Im sure he would want to do it on his. He just got an 06 ZCP 6spd.

Still interested?

Jake, you got a deal, let me know the time and place. :bow:

hey jakeM3,

i'd be down for that! think your friend can install a ssk too?

You down too Howard?

impulss
Tue, May-02-2006, 01:48:34 PM
arent u SMG?

Do you see any holes in my back bumper?? nope. 6-spd all the way!

I'd like to see it done!

DoOLiE11
Tue, May-02-2006, 01:51:14 PM
Jake, you got a deal, let me know the time and place. :bow:

You down too Howard?

yeah i'd be down too, depending on the day and if i can get my hands on some of that royal purple synchromax before hand...

Six
Tue, May-02-2006, 02:37:29 PM

I'd like to see it done!

U can have PDC with out SMG :chair:

JakeM3
Tue, May-02-2006, 03:22:42 PM
Okay, I called and left Marcin a message, I will check back later today with him, he usually doesnt answer his cell during the day because he is working on cars all day.

Ill catch back up with guys later today!

asnpcwiz
Tue, May-02-2006, 05:02:14 PM

I'd like to see it done!

What does PDC have to do with the tranny :banghead:

datax
Tue, May-02-2006, 06:34:01 PM

+1. :rofl2:

I'll come chill with you guys.

Six
Tue, May-02-2006, 06:35:11 PM

If u have SMG u have PDC :wave:

e46er
Tue, May-02-2006, 06:42:39 PM
SMG/PDC go hand in hand you know? BMW assumes you cant drive a stick already because you purchased a SMG, so they assume you cant park either. lol

datax
Tue, May-02-2006, 06:47:52 PM
SMG/PDC go hand in hand you know? BMW assumes you cant drive a stick already because you purchased a SMG, so they assume you cant park either. lol

Couldn't agree with you more. LoL... :rofl2:

SMG = Rookies

6M = The hardcores.

:smiley_ab

asnpcwiz
Tue, May-02-2006, 06:52:03 PM

I have PDC with my manual :chair:

e46er
Tue, May-02-2006, 06:59:06 PM
Cool. I was going to post that I have seen PDC with a manual, just not as often as with SMG.

datax
Tue, May-02-2006, 07:19:53 PM
I have PDC with my manual :chair:

I've PDC too. And, 6MT here! :dance:

impulss
Tue, May-02-2006, 07:33:40 PM
I don't have PDC, therefore, I cannot have SMG...

PDC was a $350 option if you went with standard 6spd. PDC came automatically with SMG option package.

I originally ordered PDC for my car, but I took it off when i decided to pick heated seats ($500) instead haha But now I have a rear camera... :beer:

Let me know about the CDV plans.. i wanna check it out!!

DoOLiE11
Tue, May-02-2006, 07:38:43 PM
sheesh its turning into a mini meet! imma have to wash my car!

datax
Tue, May-02-2006, 07:42:16 PM
I've CDV removed. If anyone wanna get the feel of it, you are welcome to be a test pilot. This apply to 6MT drivers only. No offense but I have doubts in SMG drivers....LoL

asnpcwiz
Tue, May-02-2006, 07:52:28 PM
I've CDV removed. If anyone wanna get the feel of it, you are welcome to be a test pilot. This apply to 6MT drivers only. No offense but I have doubts in SMG drivers....LoL

Ken, no offense but I want to test the CDV on a stock car so I know what it really feels like. Driving your car will make mine feel like a slow civic :thumbsup:

datax
Tue, May-02-2006, 07:57:51 PM
Ken, no offense but I want to test the CDV on a stock car so I know what it really feels like. Driving your car will make mine feel like a slow civic :thumbsup:

Naw...you *might* notice the car rev tiny bit faster and nothing more.

Six
Tue, May-02-2006, 08:15:44 PM

I drove ur car. and Ill stick to my $2,400 SMG :chair: :wave:

Also SMG = no CDV :thumbsup:

impulss
Tue, May-02-2006, 08:18:14 PM

man, we should have switched M3s during the driev last saturday! hha

asnpcwiz
Tue, May-02-2006, 08:40:37 PM

Funny Brian, my wife said the same thing :rofl2:

datax
Wed, May-03-2006, 12:07:47 AM

Also SMG = no CDV :thumbsup:

Yup, you did drive around my baby with 10mph speed in a parking lot. That was when I started having doubts about SMG drivers. :rofl2: :peace:

e46er
Wed, May-03-2006, 12:13:36 AM
^ lol.

achung
Wed, May-03-2006, 01:30:57 AM
Yea i wonder what it would feel like without the CDV? Taking it out will only affect ur upshifts correct? Thats what I heard.

I've been meaning to take mine out and replace the clutch fluid. Then again I want to buy a bleeder also.

So if u guys are meeting to get everyone's CDV out im down.

asnpcwiz
Wed, May-03-2006, 02:43:21 AM
I wouldn't say we are meeting up to get our CDV removed. JakeM3 said he'd ask a friend. Jake it seems that a few people in this area are interested in replacing their tranning fluids and getting the CDV removed. I don't want to overwhelm your friend so you tell us how many he'd be willing to do and definitely ask if he expects anything more than the drinks and lunch we talked about. If he only wants to do a few the first people to ask about this were me, vietle, and DoOLiE11, if possible, there are a few others that want it too. Maybe your friend wants to make some money?!?!

Six
Wed, May-03-2006, 08:38:07 PM
Yup, you did drive around my baby with 10mph speed in a parking lot. That was when I started having doubts about SMG drivers. :rofl2: :peace:

From what I remeber u wanted ur M3 to come with SMG:chair:

any way u and ed wanna get dinner thurs night?:wave:

RagingLamb
Wed, May-03-2006, 09:02:37 PM
the mad russian has a great DIY on how to remove the cdv. btw, on his review of the synchromax he mentions that it may not be necessary for )4 & later models due to the fluid that they've used on these (LT2, as opposed to LT1).

JakeM3
Thu, May-04-2006, 08:26:22 PM
Sorry it has taken so long to get an answer, but I have been busy with work and I know Marcin has been busy too. ill try to have an answer posted about this weekend by tonight. Thanks.

vietle
Fri, May-05-2006, 04:32:09 AM
if he is able to include some of us on the cdv removal, is synchromax the only fluid available? does redline make anything and how much would we need. i know it's a noob question but i am one and don't want to come empty handed. thx

DoOLiE11
Fri, May-05-2006, 11:07:06 AM
i belive its a little less the 2 bottles. i think the royal purple comes in 1 Liter bottles

Six
Fri, May-05-2006, 02:50:43 PM
Instead of taking it out I would get a moded one so that the dealer would never know. :)

http://zeckhausen.com/cdv.htm

JakeM3
Fri, May-05-2006, 05:39:13 PM
Okay, we are on for tomorrow at 10am, I would start earlier but I am going out to celebrate the cinco de mayo holiday. Please PM me or make a list of who wants to come,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Here is how it is going to work, he has 2 or 3 lifts, if you want your CDV done, he will help, but you must bring some type of waiver holding him NOT liable for anything you do to the car there or any results of removing the CDV.

Please PM if you are interested in coming and I can give you the address. And what you are willing to contribute(i.e. food/beers/refreshments etc...) thanks.

***also, Marcin has a soccer game in VA at 4pm, so I imagine we wont go past 3pm for the day. 1st come, 1st served(exception me ;))

PM me if you are interested. AsnPCwiz, I assume you are still on board?

vietle
Fri, May-05-2006, 06:15:46 PM
awe shucks, i can't make it. is this a one time deal? i'm in nyc with parents this weekend. good luck to all those who get it done.

if marcin is able to do it another time, i'll make it worth his while.

JakeM3
Fri, May-05-2006, 06:31:01 PM
we will be doing other mods soon, I plan to do sway bars soon, maybe even before the weekend of the 20th.

JakeM3
Fri, May-05-2006, 07:47:03 PM
since it is a national holiday and i will be leaving soon to drown myself in any type of mexican liquor concoction I can find..............Here is my cell number and the address for tomorrow......

Jake
410-707-7280

825 Elkridge Landing Rd
Linthicum MD 21090

It is no more then a couple minutes off of 295, cant remember the exit right now, but it is very close to BWI.

Later, hope to see some of you guys tomorrow.

Six
Sat, May-06-2006, 01:11:21 PM
I might be done with work in time, is it cool if I stop by? I might come up there with ken (datax) and maybe ed (e60 M5) :wave:

JakeM3
Sat, May-06-2006, 03:05:24 PM
its cool

asnpcwiz
Mon, May-08-2006, 06:55:37 PM
Did anyone get a chance to do this? I wanted to do this but have been busy with work and didn't get a chance to check the postings.

JakeM3
Mon, May-08-2006, 09:34:43 PM
Did anyone get a chance to do this? I wanted to do this but have been busy with work and didn't get a chance to check the postings.

All in all the day was a success, however it was just me and Marcin at the shop. Brian was going to stop by, however we got done early and had already left the shop when he called.

The funny thing is that the CDV was already removed from my car. A SSK was already installed on my car when I bought it and the guy that owned it before must of had taken this off already. I did however get to check out all of the suspension components and make sure everything was tight and in good condition.

Let me know when you guys want to get together again. Id like to do sway bars soon..............

datax
Mon, May-08-2006, 11:39:24 PM
All in all the day was a success, however it was just me and Marcin at the shop. Brian was going to stop by, however we got done early and had already left the shop when he called.

The funny thing is that the CDV was already removed from my car. A SSK was already installed on my car when I bought it and the guy that owned it before must of had taken this off already. I did however get to check out all of the suspension components and make sure everything was tight and in good condition.

Let me know when you guys want to get together again. Id like to do sway bars soon..............

Which sway bars are you getting, Jake? I'll come if I can get hold of sways before next meeting.

asnpcwiz
Tue, May-09-2006, 02:01:51 PM

JakeM3, yes bro, for sure. I started this thread and still don't have my CDV removed yet. Let me know if you guys can setup something else. :bow:

Six
Tue, May-09-2006, 02:49:25 PM
Yep I got there to late, and traffic on I95 was a b1tch, but its okay cuz it was 20mins from work :)

Maybe Ill stop by the next one. :beer:

Bob; put ur name in ur sig :wave:

JakeM3
Wed, May-10-2006, 11:39:13 PM
Which sway bars are you getting, Jake? I'll come if I can get hold of sways before next meeting.

Any recommendations? Id figure I would just do GC since Dan is so helpful on this board. Although, I might do Eibach because Marcin might be able to get me a good price.

datax
Thu, May-11-2006, 07:17:35 AM
Any recommendations? Id figure I would just do GC since Dan is so helpful on this board. Although, I might do Eibach because Marcin might be able to get me a good price.

A lot of people recommended me to bite the bullet and get the GC so it's gonna be GC for me. I heard you really get what you paid for. Will have to wait and see about that after my headers install. How's your RTABs?

iNcUbUs_21
Tue, May-23-2006, 07:28:33 PM
Is this just the E46 guys? Or is there any love for an E36 guy with a CDV? :beer:

I'm down for a trip out to MD the next time you all get together at the shop. Please let me know.

asnpcwiz
Tue, May-23-2006, 11:31:01 PM
I think this is for E46's only.

iNcUbUs_21
Wed, May-24-2006, 03:49:38 AM
Lol oh ok. I'll go see if I can arrange a shop meet with me and my less financially fortunate (or just younger) E36 friends.

05silverM3
Wed, Oct-03-2007, 02:09:08 PM
I just got my CDV replaced today with the modified (gutted) one Zeckhausen sells. Day and night difference. For anybody looking for a shop to do it in the MD area, I would highly recommend Dan Martin's Auto Service in Gaithersburg. They did it in about 1/2 hour while I waited, and for 50 bucks.