Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Inspection I at BMW of Sterling

///M3Pilot19
Thu, Apr-20-2006, 01:42:46 PM
So my time for Inspection I arrived finally.. at 28k miles. I got the car with 16k and it had just been serviced in MD by the original owner, so I was a little wary about my first service experience.

Since I live about 10 minutes from BMW of Sterling I called them and setup the appt, it was painless and they got me in fairly quick. My advisor was Brian Pettaway, complimented my car and was a really nice guy. Showed up at 8am yesterday, mentioned to him I wanted them to check my subframe for any symptoms of pulling out or wear, since I've heard so many horror stories about e46s and subframe damage.

I also had them fix my sagging door trim, ugh that infuriates me.. I've superglued it twice already. I asked him whether they change out the tranny fluid on this service, he said no. I mentioned I had thought about bringing Royal Purple or Redline fluid and having them put that instead, he said they won't do that, they only use oem BMW products. They did a lot of small things-- replaced my wiper blades, filled the washer fluid, flushed the radiator, obviously did the oil change, not sure if they did brake fluid.

He also said they'd handwash it if I wanted, so I took him up on it. Looks like they did a decent job, no obvious swirl marks or damaged wheels. Brian also pointed out an M6 they had parked near the service bay.. pretty much looked like a regular 6 but it was really nice. Sticker price? $102k!!! :eek2:

So there really isn't any moral to this story, other than I felt like they treated me pretty well and it was pretty painless. Also, someone from the dealer called me this morning to make sure I was satisfied with everything yesterday. I would definitely recommend Brian Pettaway as a service advisor. I was worried they give me a hard time about all the aftermarket parts I had on a car, especially the software, but it wasn't an issue at all.

Thu, Apr-20-2006, 03:01:35 PM
Wow something positive from the dealer! :hmm:

impulss
Thu, Apr-20-2006, 03:27:30 PM
I've never been to Sterling for service, but Towson BMW is top notch too! :thumbsup: Only dealer I take my M to

EmBa
Thu, Apr-20-2006, 06:06:45 PM
My service advisor was Brian Pettaway also and he was a nice guy.

mikemav
Thu, Apr-20-2006, 09:16:47 PM
When you bought it at 16K, were there any oil changes needed between then and 28K? I'm in almost the same boat. I just got an '05 M3 convertible a couple of weeks ago with a little under 13k. It says about 11k more until service. So do they really go 12k or more between oil changes (not sure when the last one was before I bought it, but unless I hear otherwise I'm trusting the OBC.

BTW, I have an appointment Monday at BMW of Sterling. I wanted to get some of the key and car options set for my tastes, the previous owner never had the alarm activated from the looks of it, and I have a slow leak on one front tire. My service advisor will be Ben Neubert. I'll let you know how it goes.

///M3Pilot19
Fri, Apr-21-2006, 05:25:17 AM
When you bought it at 16K, were there any oil changes needed between then and 28K? I'm in almost the same boat. I just got an '05 M3 convertible a couple of weeks ago with a little under 13k. It says about 11k more until service. So do they really go 12k or more between oil changes (not sure when the last one was before I bought it, but unless I hear otherwise I'm trusting the OBC.

BTW, I have an appointment Monday at BMW of Sterling. I wanted to get some of the key and car options set for my tastes, the previous owner never had the alarm activated from the looks of it, and I have a slow leak on one front tire. My service advisor will be Ben Neubert. I'll let you know how it goes.

they say you don't need one between service appts, but I changed it myself at 24k. Damn, I forgot to ask them to set my software so it locks the doors automatically shortly after you start the car :banghead:

Turbologist
Fri, Apr-21-2006, 05:48:32 AM
Good to hear... BMW of Sterling always took care of me.. No complaints here either..

curtisG
Fri, Apr-21-2006, 10:09:30 AM
Good to hear that you were pleased with the quality of their service. I will be needing my Inspection I in a few weeks myself.

Does BMW of Sterling provide loaners if your car is still under warranty but you didn't buy the car from them?

--curtis

///M3Pilot19
Fri, Apr-21-2006, 02:15:30 PM
Good to hear that you were pleased with the quality of their service. I will be neeing my Inspection I in a few weeks myself.

Does BMW of Sterling provide loaners if your car is still under warranty but you didn't buy the car from them?

--curtis

good question.. mine was purchased from VOB by the original owner.. but for my recent service I just dropped it off and had my fiancee drop me off at work. If you find out, let me know!

edit: now that I think about it.. I know Curtis (mpoweredm) didn't buy his M at Sterling and he had to take it to Sterling recently for some out of warranty work, and he got a 330i, so they probably do.

Turbologist
Fri, Apr-21-2006, 03:00:42 PM

--curtis

Yes they do.. I've had a loaner everytime I had my car serviced there or any other dealer for that matter... All you have to do is ask nicely...

Mpassioned
Fri, Apr-21-2006, 11:56:07 PM
I had my first service done there, as well as the Inspection 1. I thought the service was also very good also, and my sister just bought an '07 550I from them, but took Performance CTR delivery.

Helios59
Sun, Apr-23-2006, 06:48:24 PM
Sterling's a good shop. We deal with Jim Eddy; he's a BMW enthusiast and a first-rate service rep.

Oil change intervals - I bought my '03 in March w/14,300 miles on the clock. Service records indicated it hadn't had oil changed since January '05. They changed the oil but didn't reset the service indicator...my Inspection I arrives in another 5,000 miles.

BigHat
Mon, Apr-24-2006, 07:35:21 PM
Sterling's a good shop. We deal with Jim Eddy; he's a BMW enthusiast and a first-rate service rep.

Oil change intervals - I bought my '03 in March w/14,300 miles on the clock. Service records indicated it hadn't had oil changed since January '05. They changed the oil but didn't reset the service indicator...my Inspection I arrives in another 5,000 miles.

Oil changes based on time (the once per year no matter the miles) shouldn't generate a reset.

Got my M3 from Sterling. Very good dealership. Thye even helped me change out my highbeam bulbs on a Sat. after I got off to a bad start. Won't take any $$ either so I tipped the tech. Highly recommend that place. Just wish it wasn't so far away from Arlington.

Mordred
Mon, Apr-24-2006, 09:15:58 PM
I got my 2003 M3 of a dealership in Rockville, MD last January and few weeks ago I have to put her in for an Ignition coil replacement service at BMW of Sterling and Ben Neubert was the SA who assisted me.

All I can say is that I do highly recommend them for doing such a good job. I just drop my baby in the morning, a few hours later I get a call regarding the status and in the afternoon Ben called to inform me that itís done and ready for pickup. Now that's what I call great fast service.

But regarding loaners, they do have a policy that they only provide loaners to those who bought their cars at their dealership. Well, as Turbologist said I'll just have to try to ask if itís possible to get a loaner instead of renting the next time I put her in for service. :thumbsup:

aliusa
Fri, Apr-28-2006, 04:52:25 PM
My advisor is also Jim Eddy and he's a great rep besides the fact that he hardly answers his phone since he is always swamped.

As for the loaner, they have stopped giving loaner car unless you have bought the car from them. According to Jim, the dealership was losing a lot of money by putting ppl into rentals (I think he told me that one month their bill was $74K just in rental charges). Off course there are some exceptions. In the past they used to give me rentals all the time but not anymore since I bought my ///M from somewhere else :roll:

Good to hear that you were pleased with the quality of their service. I will be needing my Inspection I in a few weeks myself.

--curtis

volavet
Fri, Apr-28-2006, 07:13:24 PM
What did they charge for the Inspection I service??

///M3Pilot19
Fri, Apr-28-2006, 09:19:34 PM
What did they charge for the Inspection I service??

my car is still under warranty, so it was free. You should be ok as long as your car is 03 or newer and has less than 50k

aliusa
Sun, Apr-30-2006, 12:53:31 AM
As a word of advice, before your 4yr/50k maintenance expires, for additional $1K you can buy one more year of maintenance. I think it's worth it especially if you think you car will be closer to 50k miles so you can get inspection II for free and also get your brakes replaced plus oil changes, etc., etc.

my car is still under warranty, so it was free. You should be ok as long as your car is 03 or newer and has less than 50k