Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : *WARNING* DC Photo Speeding Tickets!!

impulss
Wed, Apr-12-2006, 04:05:29 PM
I've always known that DC gave them out, but I never really noticed or cared... probably cuz I've never gotten one. Well, that is, until now!!! And not only did I just get one, I got two (within 10 days)!!

Two locations with speeding cameras:

5400 block of 16th St. NW (heading south)
4700 block of MacArthur Blvd. NW (heading toward DC)

For the first one, I was simply driving down 16th St. to get to DC and I didn't even know my picture got snapped (it was daytime). For the second one, I was heading down to DC and Cabin John was not open yet, so I had to take MacArthur Blvd. I wasn't really speeding but bam!! I saw a flash behind me so I figured I got a speeding ticket. It was a total surprise when I received two tickets in the mail tho. I have driven on both roads numerous times and I have never gotten my picture taken before... Guess I was either lucky, not speeding, or it wasn't working in the past...

What bothers me is that both tickets I received were for only 11mph over the speed limit!!!! 11mph!! I should be commended for not doubling it when the speed limit on these 2-3 lane roads are ridiculously low (25mph and 30mph zones). On MacArthur, the BMW next to me totally SLAMMED on his brakes before the camera area (I guess he knew)... but if he would have just kept going with me, I would not have gotten a ticket!!! (it says it will not take a photo if there is more than one vehicle).

I know all the facts now because the ticket itself includes very detailed information on how they determine your speed and what they use... So duhhh.. now I know where/how to spot these DC photo speed traps and I'm posting it so you can avoid them too!!

Here is my second ticket (I was hoping for a cooler picture of my car haha but it was dark):

Front:
http://home.comcast.net/%7Epeterwang/ticket1.jpg

Back:
http://home.comcast.net/%7Epeterwang/ticket2.jpg

In summary:

What to look for to avoid DC Photo Speeding tickets:

K-band radar beam (good to know if you have a radar detector)
White horizontal roadway markings (lines) in the middle of the street which are 5 feet apart and lasts ~200 feet
The camera will not take a photo if there is more than one vehicle in the radar beam

NOTE: $50 x 2 = $100!! So if you found this post useful, and could potentially save you from getting a ticket, all I ask is for a small donation ($1, $10, $20, etc.). Please send to my Paypal. Thanks!

Lost
Wed, Apr-12-2006, 04:40:06 PM
got one here too

4700 block of MacArthur Blvd. NW (heading toward DC)

e46er
Wed, Apr-12-2006, 05:16:13 PM
On New York ave headed into the city from MD as well. Right after you go under the overpass up the street from Dream or Love or whatever the hell its called. And there are signs warning you of a radar camera's, just have to keep your eyes peeled. A donation? lol

Edit: I thought they had to prove that it was you driving the car as well.

maditalian
Wed, Apr-12-2006, 05:17:03 PM
hey peter long time i dont hear from u :wave: have u been going out lately ... i hope u were at fur when armin van buuren was there, it was a sick night :dance:

anyway, about your photo tickets this should do the trick http://gort.pair.com/ubuy/aw2k/LotImg3041.jpg

maditalian
Wed, Apr-12-2006, 05:18:57 PM
On New York ave headed into the city from MD as well. Right after you go under the overpass up the street from Dream or Love or whatever the hell its called. And there are signs warning you of a radar camera's, just have to keep your eyes peeled. A donation? lol

Edit: I thought they had to prove that it was you driving the car as well.

it was dream, now its called love, but no, the place hasnt changed a bit :chair:
anyway, i never heard about this thing of proving u were the driver :nixweiss:

e46er
Wed, Apr-12-2006, 05:19:27 PM
Oh yeah, here are all the locations:

http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1240,q,548201,mpdcNav_GID,1552,mpdcNav,%7C3 1886%7C.asp

Giovanna360
Wed, Apr-12-2006, 05:38:36 PM
I live in MD but am in DC all the time. WTF! Does this make anyone else very mad. I feel like im being violated somehow. Does MD have speed cameras? Also, are the cameras only where there are those lines in the street? Sorry for being pissed off.

impulss
Wed, Apr-12-2006, 06:16:59 PM
hey peter long time i dont hear from u :wave: have u been going out lately ... i hope u were at fur when armin van buuren was there, it was a sick night :dance:

anyway, about your photo tickets this should do the trick http://gort.pair.com/ubuy/aw2k/LotImg3041.jpg

My friend got that before and they haven't confirmed whether it works or not.

The instructions say to spray a THICK layer and you haev to repeat over time. Too much trouble and probably causes your license plate to chagne color cuz it's really gunky and makes it sticky!

I'm just gonna watch out for the lines.

PS.. I asked for donations here cuz I originally posted this on my xanga and I already got a few bucks!! ahahhah And NOBODY donated for the Skyline drive ticket where I paid for the reckless ticket while everybody had fun. haha

e46er
Wed, Apr-12-2006, 06:34:38 PM
lol. Maybe Xanga > M3forum?

Six
Wed, Apr-12-2006, 06:43:02 PM
My friend got that before and they haven't confirmed whether it works or not.

The instructions say to spray a THICK layer and you haev to repeat over time. Too much trouble and probably causes your license plate to chagne color cuz it's really gunky and makes it sticky!

I'm just gonna watch out for the lines.

PS.. I asked for donations here cuz I originally posted this on my xanga and I already got a few bucks!! ahahhah And NOBODY donated for the Skyline drive ticket where I paid for the reckless ticket while everybody had fun. haha

makes it turn yellow, worked for my dads chevy, but not for my accord.

I live in MD but am in DC all the time. WTF! Does this make anyone else very mad. I feel like im being violated somehow. Does MD have speed cameras? Also, are the cameras only where there are those lines in the street? Sorry for being pissed off.

montgomery county soon will

impulss
Wed, Apr-12-2006, 06:51:21 PM
Oh yeah, here are all the locations:

http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1240,q,548201,mpdcNav_GID,1552,mpdcNav,%7C3 1886%7C.asp

VERY COOL...!

Lists both places where I got my pictures taken.

Turbologist
Wed, Apr-12-2006, 10:40:42 PM
Sorry to hear that Peter... Payment has been sent...

Yea right.... :rofl2:

Six
Wed, Apr-12-2006, 10:49:56 PM
Sorry to hear that Peter... Payment has been sent...

Yea right.... :rofl2:

dam that mean :rofl2:

Ill send u some peter
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/nappa6/other/peter.jpg

Turbologist
Wed, Apr-12-2006, 11:02:21 PM
Lol, Brian... You're such a giving person..

Six
Wed, Apr-12-2006, 11:07:38 PM

I help how I can :dance: :thumbsup:

impulss
Thu, Apr-13-2006, 03:42:19 AM

Brian gave more than you.. he donated $0.01!! Beat that... ahha

So far I have received $2.01 in donations... so dont' stop now! I'm actually rewarding one person who donated with a dinner (which is more than her donation) :thumbsup:

EM3Fan
Thu, Apr-13-2006, 02:12:17 PM
Police States SUUCK. This country, and this world, is turning into a Prison Planet: www.prisonplanet.com .

Charlie3
Thu, Apr-13-2006, 03:37:43 PM
Speed cameras and 2 glasses of wine with dinner will get you a DUI ticket, not to mention the cost of ammo ( self protection..!! )....3 good reasons I stay out of D.C....

impulss
Wed, Apr-19-2006, 01:44:39 AM
***WARNING***

I drove by another another photo speed trap today...

Right on New York Ave (NE DC) heading West.... YOU WILL PASS THE TRAP IF YOU ARE LEAVING LOVE (formerly known as Dream nightclub) and heading toward NW DC..

I spotted it cuz of all the items I listed to look for... and I slowed down to the 35mph speed limit!!! hahahahah no more DC photo tickets for me!

e46er
Wed, Apr-19-2006, 02:30:12 AM
Echo from post #3 in this thread. :yawn:

impulss
Wed, Apr-19-2006, 03:16:03 PM
Echo from post #3 in this thread. :yawn:

oops.. ahha my bad..

When i first saw yoru post, i was thinking New York Ave leaving DC....

Yeah, that speed trap must be new... or else i've been going by it so fast they couldnt' get a pic of my car before ahhaha

impulss
Wed, Apr-19-2006, 03:19:00 PM
PS... anyone wanna go??

Here's an invite for you and your Beemer...might help the next time out...
---------
Bless My Ride

You've transformed your ride. You've got the rims, you've got the pipe, and Spring is here. It's time to roll. But these city streets can be rough. Bring your fine wheels by at 9:45 am on April 23, 2006 for contemporary music and a ride-blessing service. A little extra insurance never hurt, eh?

Two wheels? Four wheels? We bless 'em all!

Trinity Presbyterian Church of Bethesda
7009 Wilson Lane, Bethesda, MD 20817
Directions at www.trinitybethesda.org
Posted 4/18/2006 at 4:01 PM by Beloved_Spear

e46er
Wed, Apr-19-2006, 03:26:37 PM
lol ^

The camera has been there for awhile, I drive that route a lot (over the past year) and cant remember not seeing it.

Funny story, I was driving back to VA and a couple lights before the camera there was a car full of black chicks, rolling hard bumping their music. Mashing the gas at every light and speeding off and I knew they were going to get tagged. They just rolled through the radar cameras when everyone else slowed down, probably going 60mph, camera flashes and the driver slows down and and they all start looking around with this dumbfounded look.

I just laughed at them.

asnpcwiz
Wed, Apr-19-2006, 04:21:01 PM
I don't understand how speeding cameras are even legal. I thought that by law a police officer has to be present to give you a citation. That is why the red light cameras in VA failed as a project. I don't see how this can be any different?!?!

impulss
Wed, Apr-19-2006, 04:59:24 PM
I don't understand how speeding cameras are even legal. I thought that by law a police officer has to be present to give you a citation. That is why the red light cameras in VA failed as a project. I don't see how this can be any different?!?!

They don't assess any points or anything to yoru record because they cant' prove you're driving.. they just collect the money from you (like a parking ticket).

impulss
Wed, Apr-19-2006, 05:00:40 PM
lol ^

The camera has been there for awhile, I drive that route a lot (over the past year) and cant remember not seeing it.

Funny story, I was driving back to VA and a couple lights before the camera there was a car full of black chicks, rolling hard bumping their music. Mashing the gas at every light and speeding off and I knew they were going to get tagged. They just rolled through the radar cameras when everyone else slowed down, probably going 60mph, camera flashes and the driver slows down and and they all start looking around with this dumbfounded look.

I just laughed at them.

I've passed taht NEW YORK AVE one many times befoer (probalby giong over 35mph) but i never got a ticket :whistle:

HMMM..... but i wonder if you fly by it at 100mph (the zone is only 200ft), whether you'll pass the zone before the camera even has a chance to take a pic.... anyone care to try?????

asnpcwiz
Wed, Apr-19-2006, 05:14:41 PM
They don't assess any points or anything to yoru record because they cant' prove you're driving.. they just collect the money from you (like a parking ticket).

I understand that. The question is how is this legal if the police officer isn't present to give you citation? This is the exact same thing that was declined in the courts in VA. People running red light cameras and getting tickets for them. The red light cameras were considered to be against the law because it states that an officer must be present to give a citation. I understand how they can give you parking tickets...yo udon't need to be there, just the officer.

vietle
Wed, Apr-19-2006, 09:43:19 PM
Not sure if this helps but I've been using it for like 2 years. I got zapped twice since I have had it and I haven't received a citation. i am not sure if it works during the day though.

http://phantomplate.com