Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : visiting DC virginia area this wk

chiyuan
Mon, Mar-20-2006, 02:23:39 AM
Hi guys,

driving down tomorrow to visit a college buddy in Richmond, VA. He just moved there and isn't that familiar with the area, but we plan to maybe hit DC some time during the day and do some sightseeing since I never been there.

Was wondering, what's the best way to travel to DC? I was thinking of taking the train/subway into the city, is there a station that ppl recommend with easy/safe parking and that's good train access to DC w/n the Richmond area?

Sorry just that I have no idea about the place

also, any recommendations about where to checkout in dc during the day and night?

...etc

thx in advance

Budman
Mon, Mar-20-2006, 12:21:16 PM
Arlington National Cemetary, all the monuments, the Smithsonian Museums, the White House, the archives, etc. etc. Lots of stuff to do and see.

yuanren
Mon, Mar-20-2006, 01:29:59 PM
I'm not sure if you know but Richmond is like 1.5 hrs away from DC so you're gonna need to drive to DC if you wanna sightsee, just an FYI

kstarcvngh
Mon, Mar-20-2006, 01:34:37 PM
the Spy Museum I haven't been yet but i hear that it's a really cool museum

BigHat
Mon, Mar-20-2006, 03:34:57 PM
Many ways to do this but I'd suggest you drive up to Springfield, VA (70 mins from Richmond) and take the Metro downtown. Check out what you'd like to see on google or something. The obvious things are the Smithsonian, etc. Much of the town that you'd want to see is Metro accessible. This keeps your car out of town and eliminates traffic and parking hassles.

You could also take the train up to Union Station, but that's too much of a hassle in my view.

Drive up when you like. Take a short trip on the Metro into the city and leave when you like. Heck, your friend needs to figure out the Metro anyway so this will be a good start.

///M3 Madness
Mon, Mar-20-2006, 04:16:29 PM
the Spy Museum I haven't been yet but i hear that it's a really cool museum

Spy Museum is a blast, unless you don't like that stuff. Duhh.

Richmond to DC is 2hrs WITHOUT traffic. Which if you have ever been to DC . . never happens. If you drive, park in the Mall and walk around. All the monuments and Smithsonian is there. Everything you'd like to see is within walking distance to include great restaurants. If you want to get tore up and are in your early 20s, hit Georgetown. Lemme know, I went to grad school there and can recommend some places. If you want to avoid the traffic, stop in Springfield and take the Metro in.

Have fun.

vndkshn
Mon, Mar-20-2006, 04:24:49 PM
Another idea.. drive up to Fredericksburg and catch the VRE (assuming a weekday). The only downside, they don't run too late, so no night activities.

As for the must sees.. Air & Space (I'd say both, but at least the one in DC) & History museums, but you can almost spend a day in each if you are really into them. The monuments on the mall. Don't bother trying to get into the White House or Capital.

One day really isn't enough.

asnpcwiz
Mon, Mar-20-2006, 04:44:10 PM
Hey Chiyuan, hopefully you have a great stay at the DC area. I made a list for my friend a couple of days ago for places to go eat and things to do while in DC. The obvious ones are the museums and monuments, but the hard things to find are the restaurants and nightlife. Here is the list I made for my friend. It's pretty diverse so you should be able to find a lot to see, do, and eat.

Things to do and eat…I hope this helps.

DC:
Old Ebbitts Grille – Seafood, American Food
Washington Hotel – Terrance Dessert and after dinner drinks
Tony and Joes – Seafood, (off the water front in G-Town)
DC Improv – Great comedy acts (off Connecticut Ave)
FIVE – Dance club and bar (off of Connecticut Ave and 18th near Improv)
Sesto Senso – Lounge (off of Connecticut and 18th near Improv, great place but can be dead some times)
18th Street Lounge – Great lounge made in an old DC home (off of Connecticut and 18th near Improv)
MCCXXIII (pronounced 1223) – Dance club (off of Connecticut and 18th near Improv)
Nations – Grungy club with great dance/house/electronic music
Fur – Great new dance club, multiple rooms with different music
Dream – Great dance club, multiple rooms with different music

Old Towne:
Fish Market - Seafood
Las Tapas – Spanish Tapas
La Bergerie – French Food
Taverna Cretekou – Greek Food

Tysons/Reston:
Le Canard – French Food
Ichiban Sushi – A dive, but GREAT Sushi
Colvin Run Tavern – American food
Woo Lae Oak – Korean Food
Oriental Regency – Great place for Peking Duck
Carpool (located in reston)– Popular bar and happy hour spot (also in Arlington)
Champs (located in reston) – Popular sports bar and happy hour spot

Fairfax/Chantilly:
Buffalo Wing University – great bar and wings
Buffalo Wing Factory – Great wings (also located in Reston and Sterling)
Red Rock Canyon – American Food (known for their Rotisserie Chicken)
Glory Days Bar and Grill – Local sports club (decent wings, $0.35 Wings on Wednesdays)

Annandale (AKA – Korea town):
Yechon – Great Korean food (Open 24 hours)
A & J’s – A dive, but GREAT authentic Chinese food (I’m Chinese and very picky)

Arlington:
Peking Gourmet - Great place for Peking duck
Guarupos – Hukah bar with International music upstairs and latin music downstairs
Mr Days – Bar with a dance floor
Cafι Asia – Trendy Asian Dinning, Danceclub at night
Rock Bottom – Great Happy Hours
Baileys pub and grill– Great for happy hour, with great pool tables
Clarendon Ballroom – Bar and happy hour
Molly Malones – Bar and Happy hour
Eleventh - Restaurant and bar
Clarendon Grill – Great food and bar
Whitlows – Bar and Grill
Front page – Restaurant and Bar

Superman07
Tue, Mar-21-2006, 01:04:21 AM
Caution on the Springfield metro parking (FYI: $3.75 for the day and you'll need to get a "SmarTrip" card): I had my Integra parked there and I swear that's where somebody tried to gank my front emblem. =/ Depending on the amount of time/distance you're willing to drive you may be better off going with one of the other stations.

Also, if you post the times you'll be traveling I'm sure we can all recommend the best routes for you to take. As some have said traffic can really **** - espcially in the mornings and afternoons. It once took me almost 4 hours to get from DC to Richmond (100 miles). No accidents, just traffic. :banghead:

JakeM3
Tue, Mar-21-2006, 03:36:19 AM
my friend bartends at 1223 and says it has been awesome lately on the fridays and saturdays....

rattdogg
Tue, Mar-21-2006, 07:01:39 PM
Hi guys,

driving down tomorrow to visit a college buddy in Richmond, VA. He just moved there and isn't that familiar with the area, but we plan to maybe hit DC some time during the day and do some sightseeing since I never been there.

Was wondering, what's the best way to travel to DC? I was thinking of taking the train/subway into the city, is there a station that ppl recommend with easy/safe parking and that's good train access to DC w/n the Richmond area?

Sorry just that I have no idea about the place

also, any recommendations about where to checkout in dc during the day and night?

...etc

thx in advance
Take the metro out of springfield. That traffic will **** the life out of you. It is a great place to visit but I wouldn't raise a hog there.