Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Price in VA /w Taxes, etc.

Superman07
Wed, Feb-22-2006, 05:21:56 PM
Can people who have recently purchased in VA list what your extra fees were beyond the price of the car?

Also, please painfully tell me what your yearly tax is... =(

BigHat
Wed, Mar-01-2006, 06:28:02 PM
Can people who have recently purchased in VA list what your extra fees were beyond the price of the car?

Also, please painfully tell me what your yearly tax is... =(

Well you'll pay 3% (for now) in sales tax. Greedy bastards in Richmond want to raise the sales taxes and fines on speeding etc to pay for more roads so more people can move in and crowd the highways.

Personal Propery Tax is the big hit. It's a county tax and varies. If you live in NOVA you'll be paying over $4 per hundred of value. I won't bore you with the discount that the states supports, just subtract $616 from the total.

In Arlington it's $4.40 (4.4%) per hundred. A $60K M3 will cost you a touch over $2K. You pay every year on the declining value. Yea, it REALLY sucks.

Budman
Wed, Mar-01-2006, 08:33:09 PM
I had to pay the 3% on mine when I brought it from Germany. PPT I get waived :)

Superman07
Fri, Mar-03-2006, 12:32:56 AM
Well you'll pay 3% (for now) in sales tax. Greedy bastards in Richmond want to raise the sales taxes and fines on speeding etc to pay for more roads so more people can move in and crowd the highways.

Personal Propery Tax is the big hit. It's a county tax and varies. If you live in NOVA you'll be paying over $4 per hundred of value. I won't bore you with the discount that the states supports, just subtract $616 from the total.

In Arlington it's $4.40 (4.4%) per hundred. A $60K M3 will cost you a touch over $2K. You pay every year on the declining value. Yea, it REALLY sucks.

Really? Thought the tax they were looking to re-institute (?) was going to be on the PPT rather than the sales tax.

Guy at school once said to me, "Why do you guys in VA always complain about a car tax? We have to pay car tax as well when we buy."

To which I said, "No, no. We pay every year based on the value of the car."

..."Oh...."

Superman07
Fri, Mar-03-2006, 12:34:24 AM
meh. so we're really talking adding another 2.5k on there. =/

hate VA and their damn taxes. if you want to feel more pain, my mom said she read that NOVA only gets something like 30 cents back on the dollar in taxes for roads....

BigHat
Fri, Mar-03-2006, 07:27:14 PM
Really? Thought the tax they were looking to re-institute (?) was going to be on the PPT rather than the sales tax.

Guy at school once said to me, "Why do you guys in VA always complain about a car tax? We have to pay car tax as well when we buy."

To which I said, "No, no. We pay every year based on the value of the car."

..."Oh...."

Our new loser boy governor has specifically mentioned higher car sales tax (stealers really fighting that one) and monster fines for reckless driving and DWIs. Who knows what will eventually happen.

I so hoped PPT was going to continue to fade away with the big tax surpluses, but when did you ever meet a politican that didn't have a better idea on how to spend your money? Away, that's a county tax and not a state tax, so outside NOVA nobody pays jack on that anyway. They also aren't excited about using state funds to help "rich" counties up north.

EclecticGuy
Sat, Mar-11-2006, 09:19:15 PM
Shameless plug...

www.fairtax.org

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4331078168568152843&q=%22fair+tax%22&time=530000

BlueSteel
Tue, Mar-14-2006, 11:56:57 AM
I had to pay the 3% on mine when I brought it from Germany. PPT I get waived :)
Budman,
How long did you have it in Germany before you brought it to Va? How many miles did you have on it? I am bringing a new car from Bahrain to VA myself. I am registering it here in Bahrain so that I can have some paperwork to claim that the car is "used" and therefore should be exempt from sales tax...do you think that would work?

:beer:

Budman
Tue, Mar-14-2006, 12:23:55 PM
1200 miles, it was only 3 months old... it was previouosly registered in Germany.. My wagon was over a year old, and after much back and forth, they finally said I would not have to pay the tax on it.. I guess I got lucky on that one.. but if it is a fairly new vehicle expect to pay..

BlueSteel
Tue, Mar-14-2006, 05:38:55 PM
Thanks, Budman....two more questions: Did you have to pay federal Gas Guzzler tax when you brought the car into the States? Are you in the military?

:beer:
1200 miles, it was only 3 months old... it was previouosly registered in Germany.. My wagon was over a year old, and after much back and forth, they finally said I would not have to pay the tax on it.. I guess I got lucky on that one.. but if it is a fairly new vehicle expect to pay..

Budman
Wed, Mar-15-2006, 01:35:10 PM
Nope..

and

Yep..

BigHat
Thu, Mar-16-2006, 08:50:36 PM
Being a non-resident military member living in VA saved me serious bucks over the years. But, alas, everyone has to leave the nest eventually.

One warning on the military exemption. You must be the sole title holder. Leasing? You pay. Wife on the title? You pay.

Budman
Thu, Mar-16-2006, 11:43:13 PM
Yes.. I had to ditch the wife on all the paperwork so I was the sole title holder.. Pain in the ass, but it saves me mucho duckies..

Bighat where do you work?

BigHat
Fri, Mar-17-2006, 10:24:16 AM
Yes.. I had to ditch the wife on all the paperwork so I was the sole title holder.. Pain in the ass, but it saves me mucho duckies..

Bighat where do you work?

Finished up USMC time in the Pentagon. Work in downtown DC now. 1101 Penn Ave. NW

Budman
Fri, Mar-17-2006, 12:26:10 PM
Finished up USMC time in the Pentagon. Work in downtown DC now. 1101 Penn Ave. NW
Cool.. normally you can find me at Fort Myer, but not at the moment..