Web www.M3Forum.net

View Full Version : Looking for NOVA Dealer Recommendations

Superman07
Wed, Feb-22-2006, 12:47:03 AM
Hey all. Looking for advice on NOVA dealers.

Who has recently purchased:

1) Dealer
2) Amount of MSRP
3) Exp. w/ service department

The three I have the most immediate access to are Fairfax, Arlington and Sterling. I imagine VOB is a close 4th. If necessary I'd consider Richmond, but they'd have to give a good deal.

Thanks in advance.

volavet
Wed, Feb-22-2006, 02:17:34 AM
I have my first dealer service experience tomorrow with Fairfax. I will let you know how it goes. However, I have read on here in numerous places that BMW of Arlington is horrible and to stay away. I actually cancelled my appt. on monday after reading some of the horror stories on here about them.

Hey all. Looking for advice on NOVA dealers.

Who has recently purchased:

1) Dealer
2) Amount of MSRP
3) Exp. w/ service department

The three I have the most immediate access to are Fairfax, Arlington and Sterling. I imagine VOB is a close 4th. If necessary I'd consider Richmond, but they'd have to give a good deal.

Thanks in advance.

vti
Wed, Feb-22-2006, 02:33:43 AM
I dealt with Rick Barnard at Sterling recently and got good service from him. The service department at Sterling has treated me well since they opened.

Budman
Wed, Feb-22-2006, 12:22:33 PM
I hear Sterling is the best in the area of what we have.. I have dealt with Fairfax once, and had no issues so far.

yuanren
Wed, Feb-22-2006, 02:19:45 PM
fairfax is slow and their rentals blow but my salesman tries to help me out usually by bumping my appointment up or whatever if i have a problem that needs to be taken care of

muggsy
Wed, Feb-22-2006, 05:13:02 PM
I'm in Alexandria but bought mine at Passport, which is in MD but just a few miles up 95 (exit 7B). I've been very happy with them, both the buying experience and the service dept. I haven't had any major service issues (other than recalls and scheduled maintenance) but my SA (Keith) has been great and easy to work with.

///M3Pilot19
Thu, Feb-23-2006, 03:11:51 PM
^^you've been lucky... its well documented that Passport is abysmal for sales and service. And don't ever try to trade a car in there either.

muggsy
Thu, Feb-23-2006, 03:44:44 PM
Well, maybe I've been lucky but I guess my in-laws have been lucky too. They've bought at least three cars from Passport (including 1999 7-series and 2002 M3) and they've been very happy with sales and service. Passport replaced the tranny on the 7-series last year without charge even though the car was several months out of warranty at the time. YMMV, of course, but I'd recommend them without hesitation.

Charlie3
Thu, Feb-23-2006, 11:57:54 PM
^^you've been lucky... its well documented that Passport is abysmal for sales and service. And don't ever try to trade a car in there either.

My experiences with Passport have all been positive...

lmtfi
Mon, Feb-27-2006, 01:09:36 AM
My service experiences at Passport couldn't have been worse (bought two BMWs there). Passport = Never Again.

Tischer BMW is quite good (2 BMWs from Tischer). PM me if you need a connection to a good sales rep there.

BigHat
Wed, Mar-01-2006, 03:46:38 PM
Bought my M3 from Sterling. Great sale. Service not bad. Promised they could do an oil change and SMG II software upgrade in a morning. I get there (25 miles away) and the story changes on the SMG issue. Now it will be at least all day. Not the end of the world but sloppy in my view. They are one of the highest rated dealerships in the nation though.

Just bought a 650 at Passport. If I don't go to SC to get it, I'll have my first service experience on pickup in April. The sales force guys were great. Not as fancy a facility as Sterling though. We have 7 series cars here at work (taking us around town to meetings etc) and the drivers seem to enjoy going to Passport and get treated well.

Fri, Mar-03-2006, 09:41:02 PM
I got hit in BMW of Arlington parking lot by a women in a e36 vert who didnt bother to look behind her and see the BRIGHT RED M3 as she was backing from they alley..

Stay away.

Budman
Fri, Mar-03-2006, 11:25:57 PM
I got hit in BMW of Arlington parking lot by a women in a e36 vert who didnt bother to look behind her and see the BRIGHT RED M3 as she was backing from they alley..

Stay away.
I hate their location, way too small. Maybe once the new facility is built it might be ok.

BigHat
Sat, Mar-04-2006, 10:26:23 AM
I hate their location, way too small. Maybe once the new facility is built it might be ok.

Didn't know they were building a new facility. When is it slated to open?

Budman
Sat, Mar-04-2006, 02:54:41 PM
Not sure.. they have pictures of the planned facility by the parts department

Superman07
Sun, Mar-05-2006, 11:20:44 PM
Based on my calls sofar Passport and VOB have been the best to work with.

Arlington, Sterling and Fairfax have not been good. I was at least able to get a 2-way conversation with Arlington going.

asnpcwiz
Mon, Mar-06-2006, 03:41:55 AM
Didn't know they were building a new facility. When is it slated to open?

The new location is going to be in the inside driving range (I think it's "Golfdom") off of I-95. They will actually have their new and used lots together...instead of in different locations. BTW, I only go to Passport for sales and sales advice. Never had a bad experience with them. But I bring the Bimmer to Sterling for service, just because it's close, but their rentals are horrendous.

Superman07
Mon, Mar-06-2006, 02:15:15 PM
When I was over at Sterling in November looking at a used 03 there was a lady on the phone having a horrible time trying to get a loaner out to somebody. If I was on the other end of that phone call I would not have been happy.

Boots
Fri, Mar-17-2006, 01:56:11 PM
I should have read this thread before buying my car last month. I bought a new coupe from Arlington and the experience has been bad. The facility stinks, it's cramped and all the sales guy cares about is his initial survey rating. He lied to me about the iPOD install (I got an aux plug instead), I got a crappy magnet on my trunk for satellite (which left a mark) instead of a real antenna install, the trade in offer was a joke and overall they were just very condescending. I will NEVER go back there.

I need to go somewhere else for service. Is Sterling the best? Can anyone recommend a service advisor? Will they treat me like crap since I didn't actually buy the car there? Thanks!

BigHat
Fri, Mar-17-2006, 02:11:11 PM
I need to go somewhere else for service. Is Sterling the best? Can anyone recommend a service advisor? Will they treat me like crap since I didn't actually buy the car there? Thanks!

You saw my comment on Sterling above. Overall, very happy with them. They also follow directions. Don't install front license plate, don't wash the car etc. They seem to have good comms between the SAs and the shop. Can't comment about the treatment of a non-customer but I don't see that being a problem. Being in the military I have almost always bought a car one place and had most of the service elsewhere.

If you'd consider Passport, ask for Keith Renner (301.702.6440). Our drivers say he treats them well and cars are always handled on schedule and as promised.

Boots
Fri, Mar-17-2006, 02:40:38 PM
Passport is too far for me. Do you have a contact in Service at Sterling that you would recommend? Thanks for the help.

BigHat
Fri, Mar-17-2006, 02:54:39 PM
Passport is too far for me. Do you have a contact in Service at Sterling that you would recommend? Thanks for the help.

No contact. Sorry, I deal with whomever comes up to me. The female I dealt with last time showed an absence of knowledge of M cars and led me astray on the SMG reprogramming issue.

muggsy
Fri, Mar-17-2006, 03:57:52 PM
You saw my comment on Sterling above. Overall, very happy with them. They also follow directions. Don't install front license plate, don't wash the car etc. They seem to have good comms between the SAs and the shop. Can't comment about the treatment of a non-customer but I don't see that being a problem. Being in the military I have almost always bought a car one place and had most of the service elsewhere.

If you'd consider Passport, ask for Keith Renner (301.702.6440). Our drivers say he treats them well and cars are always handled on schedule and as promised.

Keith is my SA at Passport, and I'd highly recommend him to anyone. He's always treated me very well.

Boots
Fri, Mar-17-2006, 10:00:17 PM
Thanks guys. I'll let you know how it goes at Sterling.

Helios59
Mon, Apr-03-2006, 04:34:38 PM
Reviving this thread w/my recommendations.

PASSPORT: Good internet sales through Dave Myers. Awful service.

STERLING: Good service. Jim Eddy is our service advisor. He's knowledgable and great to deal with.

BMW OF BEL-AIR: They're north of Baltimore, but we just got a CPO '03 M through Phil Woodley. A great experience.

Budman
Mon, Apr-03-2006, 10:11:08 PM
Sterling has been to good to my cars so far.. went in for Inspection I for the wagon and an oil change for the ///M.. no complaints at all

BlueSteel
Tue, Apr-04-2006, 10:30:38 AM
Slight detour of the thread, sorry. When I move back to the States I will be living in Williamsburg. Obviously there is Richmond and I am guessing there is a dealership in VB/Norfolk- can someone please compare the two or any others that would be in the vicinity?

Thanks
Andre
:beer:

Crittias
Fri, Apr-21-2006, 04:16:47 AM
Obviously there is Richmond and I am guessing there is a dealership in VB/Norfolk- can someone please compare the two or any others that would be in the vicinity?

Andre,

My wife & I bought a BMW from Casey BMW in Newport News, VA, and were generally pleased with their service and sales department.

Checkered Flag is located in Virginia Beach. I've heard reasonably good things about them and the Richmond dealership.

vndkshn
Fri, Apr-21-2006, 01:20:25 PM
Sales, no question I got the best service at VOB, bought multiple cars there, and even tho I am in Texas now, I will buy my next one from them too, our sales rep there is awesome!

Service, early on I had some issues with my first car at VOB, Fairfax was a waste, so Sterling did much of the work. But I think most of their really good people left. I was taking the M3 and X5 to VOB, even though Sterling/Fairfax/Alexandria are all much closer.

I had the M3 towed in with a flat to Fairfax on night (closest dealer). $345 later, left with a new tire. They tried to clean the film (you know, that white stuff on a new tire) off the tire with something that also took the clear coat off my ZCP wheel. They also lost the front bumper tow hook plug. After a month, I got a new tow hook plug, but still have the problem with the wheel, and now I have moved. It also took them three trips to get the TPM reset.

Fairfax was also the place that the sales man completely blew me off, even though I was looking at cars ranging from 530i to the M5 (E39). He wouldn't let me drive any of the 5s.. at all, not even around the block, and after I started to leave he offered to let me drive a 330i. During which he rode with me, and I drove about 2 miles.

Two days later I bought a M5 from VOB, after they let me take 3 or 4 different cars out on test drives, without a rider.

TopMarc
Fri, Apr-21-2006, 01:47:04 PM
I should have read this thread before buying my car last month. I bought a new coupe from Arlington and the experience has been bad. The facility stinks, it's cramped and all the sales guy cares about is his initial survey rating. He lied to me about the iPOD install (I got an aux plug instead), I got a crappy magnet on my trunk for satellite (which left a mark) instead of a real antenna install, the trade in offer was a joke and overall they were just very condescending. I will NEVER go back there.

I personally choose to deal with Jim Eddy as an SA at Sterling. I make sure that I am firm and concise with him and he executes well against my instructions. The service director there is Brad Stuller, and he has been on hand to help me resolve issues that are beyond the SAs reach. Their top tech (Greg) is a bit of a cold character towards me but that may be because I was right (and he was wrong) when it came to diagnosing my gearbox fault :o)

Overall, I would recommend Sterling.

Marc